Rob & Lot

Cenomar for Filipina/Filipino

11 posts in this topic

I have a question for people who are with spouses from the Philippines. The US Embassy requests a Cenomar (Civil register printout) receipt for Philippine citizen to show, that they are

capable of marriage or not.

My fiancé was married to a foreigner and divorced in January 2014 outside the Philippines. Under Philippine law, there is no divorce and we had to go through the process of having her

divorce recognized, which we did. The judge ruled in her favor mid February 2019 and ordered, that her status would be rolled back to "single" so she can remarry again. Now here's the

main question. We have the court ruling where the recognition is approved but we are still waiting on the Certificate of Finality, which would then make it possible to get a Cenomar

(civil register printout) with the "Single"-status. We are waiting for that every day but it seems, that the involved offices are working very very slowly.

With today's mail, our K-1 petition has been approved and everything is moving fast now. What if we don't have a new Cenomar by the time of the interview? Has anyone every had this

situation and where they able to proof with the court papers, that the divorce was finalized? Legally, everything seems to be in the clear, we just don't have that paper in hands yet.

Thanks for the information.

*~*~*country-specific question moved to Philippines regional forum*~*~*

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Just going by what I know and the information you have supplied and according to the list of required documents needed for the consular intervew (sample here: https://photos.state.gov/libraries/manila/1178798/Instructions Packets/K1 and K2 Interview Preparation Instructions - English _February 2016_.pdf), just the foreign divorce decree would suffice (Proof of Termination of a Prior Marriage). If you think about it, she can't really have a CENOMAR anymore (certificate of no marriage) because it is only for people who have never contracted a marriage in the past. All she needs are the divorce papers. If they're in a foreign language, just have them translated.

Ok nevermind, I oversimplified it. I just found this thread: 

Read through that as it seems to be similar to your case, although annulment. It seems you need something called an Annotated Marriage Certificate and a CEMAR.. Hope it helps.

Also this: 

So basically most people are saying that as long as you have a divorce decree, you just have to have it attached to the CEMAR. The US will recognise the foreign divorce. Just try the search bar on top to find other threads like that while waiting for someone to actually reply to this. Goodluck!

TIMELINE:

May 22 2018              I-129F Filed
May 30 2018              I-129F NOA1 
Nov. 07 2018              I-129F NOA2
Nov. 21 2018              Case received by NVC

Dec. 04 2018              Case # Assigned

Dec. 11 2018              Visa Application in Transit to Manila Embassy 📭

Dec. 13 2018              Visa Application set to READY 📬

Dec. 27 2018              Interview Date US Embassy - Read Review Here

Jan. 05 2019              Visa on hand

Jan. 16 2019              US Entry (San Francisco POE) - Read Review Here

Feb. 11 2019              Marriage 👰🤵

Mar. 12 2019              AOS mailed

Mar. 14 2019              AOS delivered to USCIS Chicago

Mar. 19 2019              AOS NOA

Apr. 09 2019               Biometrics done (Status stayed as "Fingerprint fee received" for 4 months

Aug. 09 2019              Interview Ready to be Scheduled
Oct. 10 2019               EAD and AP (approved after 212 days)

Oct. 18 2019               EAD/AP Combo card received

Feb. 20 2020              GC Interview, no same day result, case in review (SF Field Office) - Read Review Here

Feb. 21 2020              (next day) Status changed to New card is being produced!

Feb. 10 2022              Mailed I-751 ROC

Feb. 11 2022              I-751 date filed

Feb. 14 2022              NOA1 (WAC)

Jul. 13 2022               NOA2- biometric appointment waived, no refund for fee collected, old biometrics will  be reused

Jul. 14 2022               Case Status: 4 "Case Was Updated To Show Fingerprints Were Taken"

Dec. 26 2022             Filed N-400 online, NOA and Biometrics reuse same date

Mar. 20 2023             NOA3- 48 month GC extension from date of expiration

Oct. 18 2023              Case status: I-751 ROC transferred to another office

Oct. 19 2023              Case status: "We transferred your Form I751 yo another USCIS office that now has jurisdiction over your case"

Oct. 21 2023              Case status: "New Card Is Being Produced"

Oct. 23 2023              N-400 Interview was scheduled

Oct. 24 2023              Case status: "We approved your Form I-751"

Oct. 25 2023              Case status: "Card was mailed to me"

Read this whole thread too, specially the 5th page. It seems you don't need to go through all these hoops with the regional trial court and annotating marriage certificates as that is for the Philippines alone, for the country to recognise the foreign divorce. All you need for the K1 visa interview is to have the CEMAR (certificate of marriage) and the foreign divorce decree because the US govt recognises that. It's also all that's listed in the requirements to bring to the interview.

TIMELINE:

May 22 2018              I-129F Filed
May 30 2018              I-129F NOA1 
Nov. 07 2018              I-129F NOA2
Nov. 21 2018              Case received by NVC

Dec. 04 2018              Case # Assigned

Dec. 11 2018              Visa Application in Transit to Manila Embassy 📭

Dec. 13 2018              Visa Application set to READY 📬

Dec. 27 2018              Interview Date US Embassy - Read Review Here

Jan. 05 2019              Visa on hand

Jan. 16 2019              US Entry (San Francisco POE) - Read Review Here

Feb. 11 2019              Marriage 👰🤵

Mar. 12 2019              AOS mailed

Mar. 14 2019              AOS delivered to USCIS Chicago

Mar. 19 2019              AOS NOA

Apr. 09 2019               Biometrics done (Status stayed as "Fingerprint fee received" for 4 months

Aug. 09 2019              Interview Ready to be Scheduled
Oct. 10 2019               EAD and AP (approved after 212 days)

Oct. 18 2019               EAD/AP Combo card received

Feb. 20 2020              GC Interview, no same day result, case in review (SF Field Office) - Read Review Here

Feb. 21 2020              (next day) Status changed to New card is being produced!

Feb. 10 2022              Mailed I-751 ROC

Feb. 11 2022              I-751 date filed

Feb. 14 2022              NOA1 (WAC)

Jul. 13 2022               NOA2- biometric appointment waived, no refund for fee collected, old biometrics will  be reused

Jul. 14 2022               Case Status: 4 "Case Was Updated To Show Fingerprints Were Taken"

Dec. 26 2022             Filed N-400 online, NOA and Biometrics reuse same date

Mar. 20 2023             NOA3- 48 month GC extension from date of expiration

Oct. 18 2023              Case status: I-751 ROC transferred to another office

Oct. 19 2023              Case status: "We transferred your Form I751 yo another USCIS office that now has jurisdiction over your case"

Oct. 21 2023              Case status: "New Card Is Being Produced"

Oct. 23 2023              N-400 Interview was scheduled

Oct. 24 2023              Case status: "We approved your Form I-751"

Oct. 25 2023              Case status: "Card was mailed to me"

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 hours ago, Rob & Lot said:

I have a question for people who are with spouses from the Philippines. The US Embassy requests a Cenomar (Civil register printout) receipt for Philippine citizen to show, that they are

capable of marriage or not.

My fiancé was married to a foreigner and divorced in January 2014 outside the Philippines. Under Philippine law, there is no divorce and we had to go through the process of having her

divorce recognized, which we did. The judge ruled in her favor mid February 2019 and ordered, that her status would be rolled back to "single" so she can remarry again. Now here's the

main question. We have the court ruling where the recognition is approved but we are still waiting on the Certificate of Finality, which would then make it possible to get a Cenomar

(civil register printout) with the "Single"-status. We are waiting for that every day but it seems, that the involved offices are working very very slowly.

With today's mail, our K-1 petition has been approved and everything is moving fast now. What if we don't have a new Cenomar by the time of the interview? Has anyone every had this

situation and where they able to proof with the court papers, that the divorce was finalized? Legally, everything seems to be in the clear, we just don't have that paper in hands yet.

Thanks for the information.

1st, divorce is recognized by the embassy for the visa process .. without any recognition of divorce from the Philippines.   So whether the Certificate of Finality was issued or not isn't an issue for pursuing the visa.

PSA will issue a CEMAR, which is a non-issue as she has her divorce decree .. 

https://ph.usembassy.gov/visas/immigrant-visas/fiancee-visa/the-interview/

Guide to the complete process:  http://www.visaconnection-philippines.com/k-1-visa-application.html

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

16 hours ago, Hank_ said:

1st, divorce is recognized by the embassy for the visa process .. without any recognition of divorce from the Philippines.   So whether the Certificate of Finality was issued or not isn't an issue for pursuing the visa.

PSA will issue a CEMAR, which is a non-issue as she has her divorce decree .. 

https://ph.usembassy.gov/visas/immigrant-visas/fiancee-visa/the-interview/

Guide to the complete process:  http://www.visaconnection-philippines.com/k-1-visa-application.html

That's good to know. Then we don't have to worry at all if the Philippine offices aren't working faster. They say, it's a matter of days since two weeks or more, to get the Certificate of Finality, lol. Thank you very much for the information.

18 hours ago, confusedshoes said:

Read this whole thread too, specially the 5th page. It seems you don't need to go through all these hoops with the regional trial court and annotating marriage certificates as that is for the Philippines alone, for the country to recognise the foreign divorce. All you need for the K1 visa interview is to have the CEMAR (certificate of marriage) and the foreign divorce decree because the US govt recognises that. It's also all that's listed in the requirements to bring to the interview.

Well, we use RapidVisa for the support of our K-1 Visa and they insisted, that we have to go through the process of recognition. It's all done now and that is not a problem for us anymore. I understand, that the US would accept a foreign divorce decree and wouldn't care about the special situation for the Philippines (not having a divorce law yet), but I would not recommend not to have it recognized in the Philippines. What if the ex-husband finds out, that you are remarried and what if he tries to claim benefits from social security at some point. It could interfere with your new life and could give you a headache. I personally would always recommend to cut the old ties completely to make sure, there are no obligations in the future. Apparently, it's not needed for the Visa process, but it would be for the ease of mind. Also a couple would need a clean CENOMAR if they are planning to have a wedding in the Philippines.

Thank you for your information.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
23 minutes ago, Rob & Lot said:

What if the ex-husband finds out, that you are remarried and what if he tries to claim benefits from social security at some point. It could interfere with your new life and could give you a headache.

Social security and your new life?  

YMMV

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
39 minutes ago, Rob & Lot said:

Well, we use RapidVisa for the support of our K-1 Visa and they insisted, that we have to go through the process of recognition*. It's all done now and that is not a problem for us anymore. I understand, that the US would accept a foreign divorce decree and wouldn't care about the special situation for the Philippines (not having a divorce law yet), but I would not recommend not to have it recognized in the Philippines. What if the ex-husband finds out, that you are remarried and what if he tries to claim benefits from social security at some point. It could interfere with your new life and could give you a headache. I personally would always recommend to cut the old ties completely to make sure, there are no obligations in the future. Apparently, it's not needed for the Visa process, but it would be for the ease of mind. Also a couple would need a clean CENOMAR if they are planning to have a wedding in the Philippines.

Thank you for your information.

* ..yikes!  Talk about a boatload of bad info!!

If any EX wants to claim benefits from SSA on their past spouse, it has no effect on your life or benefits .. total non-issue also.

Once a marriage is recorded in the Philippines, then divorced/annulled, there is not a "clean" CENOMAR, that person would always be issued a CEMAR with annotations (divorce, annulment) .. and there is no issue with marrying in the Philippines in that situation..

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

1 hour ago, Hank_ said:

* ..yikes!  Talk about a boatload of bad info!!

If any EX wants to claim benefits from SSA on their past spouse, it has no effect on your life or benefits .. total non-issue also.

Once a marriage is recorded in the Philippines, then divorced/annulled, there is not a "clean" CENOMAR, that person would always be issued a CEMAR with annotations (divorce, annulment) .. and there is no issue with marrying in the Philippines in that situation..

I feel better, if everything is cleared as it is now for us. I am not talking about the US social security, the Philippines have a social security too. I think, it's easier if the papers are fine. Maybe I am too concerned about this topic, but it makes me feel better the way we have it now. It wasn't that crazy expensive to get to the recognition, just time consuming.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.