JnJ2006

I-129F Help With In-Person Meeting Details

29 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Just now, Cryssiekins said:

Try to focus on something that shows both of you were at the same spot at the same time.  My husband and I lived within an hour of each other, so when we visited we stayed at each other’s house, and since there is no i94 (or Canadian equivalent) issued for land crossings, to meet this requirement with no doubt, we booked a hotel one weekend, which had both names on the receipt (and we both signed it).  Canada is low fraud, so whatever you have should be sufficient, I just didn’t want to delay the process at all (and when we filed, processing times were quicker than they are now).

I'll make sure to build on tying us together at the same spot, as much as I can for sure. If we don't have certain types of evidence, well then... we just don't have it, and will have to hope we don't get hit with an RFE. Thank you for your suggestions in regards to evidence needed! 

When I had K-1 petition, I just included my pre-wedding pictures* & traditional wedding pictures*  + passport stamps (I never keep flight tickets).

*I then realized it was stupid but I included a statement that there was wedding, just not a legal marriage. Petition got approved, visa got approved.  

Anyway, back to OP's question: passport stamps, flight tickets (or flight itineraries + credit card statements), and a few pictures will do the job.  No needs to explain the details of the relationships. USCIS looks into evidences to approve, the details may be asked later at the interview.

Edited by nguoivietnam2019

The hardest thing for Canadian beneficiaries is proving the first meeting.  You didn't use a stamped boarding pass and likely they didn't stamp your passport.  Do what you can.  You dont need a tonne of details. 

Also have you guys considered the CR1 instead? 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline
1 hour ago, nguoivietnam2019 said:

When I had K-1 petition, I just included my pre-wedding pictures* & traditional wedding pictures*  + passport stamps (I never keep flight tickets).

*I then realized it was stupid but I included a statement that there was wedding, just not a legal marriage. Petition got approved, visa got approved.  

Anyway, back to OP's question: passport stamps, flight tickets (or flight itineraries + credit card statements), and a few pictures will do the job.  No needs to explain the details of the relationships. USCIS looks into evidences to approve, the details may be asked later at the interview.

I'll get a print out of my banking statement from that month to corroborate my itineraries, as well. I'll make sure the evidence more abundant than any statement. Thanks!

1 hour ago, NikLR said:

The hardest thing for Canadian beneficiaries is proving the first meeting.  You didn't use a stamped boarding pass and likely they didn't stamp your passport.  Do what you can.  You dont need a tonne of details. 

Also have you guys considered the CR1 instead? 

They stamped by passport on the way in, but not on the return. I may be able to get the e-tickets I used on the way there, as they were sent via text message. I have a physical ticket from the way back, though, plus all of my itineraries. We have photos of us together, and we're going to get some photos of me and her family when I go again soon. 

We did consider the CR-1, but my biggest thing about that was the evidence they require is stuff with both our names on it, so I'm not sure how we would go about doing that when we haven't lived together or anything. If we were going to do the CR-1, I might as well bring her up to Canada instead. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
4 minutes ago, JnJ2006 said:

We did consider the CR-1, but my biggest thing about that was the evidence they require is stuff with both our names on it, so I'm not sure how we would go about doing that when we haven't lived together or anything. 

Easily overcome 

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I had my interview at the Montreal consulate in 2015, but it was for an IR-1 visa. At that point my spouse and I were already married for 4.5 years. I was really worried about the outcome too but the Montreal consulate is pretty relaxed, and the interview was very easy and straight forward. The interviewer was a guy probably in his late 20's or early 30's and was very friendly. One of their biggest concerns is when the US citizen petitioner is living in Canada, and domicile becomes an issue, but that won't apply to your case. Good luck!

Boarding passes, passport stamps and some photos showing you together should do the trick.  A short narrative about how you met should be more than enough. Good Luck)

Not a newbie but lost my old info years ago) I have been through this process before --all the way through naturalization-- This site has always been a great help to me. 

6 hours ago, JnJ2006 said:

I'll get a print out of my banking statement from that month to corroborate my itineraries, as well. I'll make sure the evidence more abundant than any statement. Thanks!

They stamped by passport on the way in, but not on the return. I may be able to get the e-tickets I used on the way there, as they were sent via text message. I have a physical ticket from the way back, though, plus all of my itineraries. We have photos of us together, and we're going to get some photos of me and her family when I go again soon. 

We did consider the CR-1, but my biggest thing about that was the evidence they require is stuff with both our names on it, so I'm not sure how we would go about doing that when we haven't lived together or anything. If we were going to do the CR-1, I might as well bring her up to Canada instead. 

Honestly CR1 is easy when you havent lived together.  You send some evidence of regular communication and spending time together.  They don't expect newlyweds to have joint things. That takes time.  

CR1 means you can work and travel right away without waiting 6 months without ead or ap. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline
20 hours ago, prolixus said:

I had my interview at the Montreal consulate in 2015, but it was for an IR-1 visa. At that point my spouse and I were already married for 4.5 years. I was really worried about the outcome too but the Montreal consulate is pretty relaxed, and the interview was very easy and straight forward. The interviewer was a guy probably in his late 20's or early 30's and was very friendly. One of their biggest concerns is when the US citizen petitioner is living in Canada, and domicile becomes an issue, but that won't apply to your case. Good luck!

Thank you for sharing your experience! Any positive or reassuring stories help a lot! 

16 hours ago, boris64 said:

Boarding passes, passport stamps and some photos showing you together should do the trick.  A short narrative about how you met should be more than enough. Good Luck)

It's good to know that an extensive list of evidence may not be required, but I'm definitely going to give everything that I have available. Whether it be something as simple as a boarding pass, a banking statement, or a photo of us together at an event with something proving the date the of the event. No stone will be left unturned. 

15 hours ago, NikLR said:

Honestly CR1 is easy when you havent lived together.  You send some evidence of regular communication and spending time together.  They don't expect newlyweds to have joint things. That takes time.  

CR1 means you can work and travel right away without waiting 6 months without ead or ap. 

Hmm... I didn't spend too much time considering it. I think we went in with the K-1 mainly because we wanted to be together sooner? Also, I'll be bringing quite a bit of savings with me for the purposes of helping her support us until I can get working, as I know it's a bit of a wait. Do you have happen to have any insight on getting an apartment in the US while currently residing in a different country? I want to help my fiancee get us a place, but unsure about how to go about making it happen. 

44 minutes ago, JnJ2006 said:

Thank you for sharing your experience! Any positive or reassuring stories help a lot! 

It's good to know that an extensive list of evidence may not be required, but I'm definitely going to give everything that I have available. Whether it be something as simple as a boarding pass, a banking statement, or a photo of us together at an event with something proving the date the of the event. No stone will be left unturned. 

Hmm... I didn't spend too much time considering it. I think we went in with the K-1 mainly because we wanted to be together sooner? Also, I'll be bringing quite a bit of savings with me for the purposes of helping her support us until I can get working, as I know it's a bit of a wait. Do you have happen to have any insight on getting an apartment in the US while currently residing in a different country? I want to help my fiancee get us a place, but unsure about how to go about making it happen. 

No sorry I dont.  My husband was living and working in the USA during my immigration.  But check the Canad forum.  People have done it. 

K1 really isnt a lot faster right now. 

Its not so much the not working as the not driving, not anything, and that emergencies that can pop up.  But on the plus side you never live apart as a married couple. 

K1 was never an option for us due to the wait for AP, even when it was 90 days. 

Timeline
4 minutes ago, NikLR said:

K1 really isnt a lot faster right now. 

Recent trend would indicate otherwise.   

YMMV

3 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Recent trend would indicate otherwise.   

You say that a lot but don't provide a link.  Unless the I-129F is averaging 2-3 months again?   Also this can be country dependent and Montreal has been VERY slow at opening interview dates for the K1 and slow at booking CR1.  

Edited by NikLR

Timeline
1 minute ago, NikLR said:

You say that a lot but don't provide a link.  Unless the I-129F is averaging 2-3 months again?   Also this can be country dependent and Montreal has been VERY slow at opening interview dates for the K1 and slow at booking CR1.  

Jan Feb filed petitions are now seeing approval 

YMMV

So 3-4 months at fastest? Thats better than the 6 months.  Hopefully the embassies and consulates dont keep it slow too. 

Regardless the CR1 is still a better options when available imo but ymmv. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.