JnJ2006

I-129F Help With In-Person Meeting Details

29 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello everyone! First time poster here.

So, I've been browsing the site a lot, researching while me and my fiancee put together our application for the K-1. I wanted to grab some advice in regards to the question pertaining to providing more detail about the in-person meeting within 2 years, as I know every case is different.

Me and my now fiancee met way back in 2006 while playing a video game. We started as friends then, and we talked all the time over the years before we finally started dating last November, and then I went to visit her in February where I then proposed. I've booked another visit at the end of May for her birthday.

In regards to answering the question they're asking, I've seen some people say that you only need to explain any meetings in the last 2 years, and others say that information about the progression up to that first meeting can also help. I figure in our case, since I proposed on the first meeting, I should give some back story. 

I'm curious to whether or not they'll start trying to get evidence from me that dates ALL the way back to when we first talked, if I include that part of the story when answering. Chat logs aren't necessarily available from back then, but she can corroborate the story obviously. 

Also, is it necessary to talk about the proposal in that section of the application, or is that something that will come up later at the interview?

Thanks for any suggestions/advice, in advance!

6 minutes ago, JnJ2006 said:

Hello everyone! First time poster here.

So, I've been browsing the site a lot, researching while me and my fiancee put together our application for the K-1. I wanted to grab some advice in regards to the question pertaining to providing more detail about the in-person meeting within 2 years, as I know every case is different.

Me and my now fiancee met way back in 2006 while playing a video game. We started as friends then, and we talked all the time over the years before we finally started dating last November, and then I went to visit her in February where I then proposed. I've booked another visit at the end of May for her birthday.

In regards to answering the question they're asking, I've seen some people say that you only need to explain any meetings in the last 2 years, and others say that information about the progression up to that first meeting can also help. I figure in our case, since I proposed on the first meeting, I should give some back story. 

I'm curious to whether or not they'll start trying to get evidence from me that dates ALL the way back to when we first talked, if I include that part of the story when answering. Chat logs aren't necessarily available from back then, but she can corroborate the story obviously. 

Also, is it necessary to talk about the proposal in that section of the application, or is that something that will come up later at the interview?

Thanks for any suggestions/advice, in advance!

Much of the advice you will receive here on VJ is consulate-specific, so please fill in your timeline.

That said, I feel that sticking to the official USCIS checklist for the I-129f petition is best.  For question 54 (I believe that was the #), we simply listed the dates of our visits and provided passport stamps to confirm those.

We didn't include the backstory that we were high school penpals in 1985, or that we first met in person in 1991.  We didn't include any chat logs or even photos.  My husband's consulate, Auckland, is very low fraud though.

YMMV

No.  And it likely won't even come up.  USCIS does not care about love stories.  They only care about eligibility to file the petition.

Edited by Jorgedig

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

Much of the advice you will receive here on VJ is consulate-specific, so please fill in your timeline.

That said, I feel that sticking to the official USCIS checklist for the I-129f petition is best.  For question 54 (I believe that was the #), we simply listed the dates of our visits and provided passport stamps to confirm those.

We didn't include the backstory that we were high school penpals in 1985, or that we first met in person in 1991.  We didn't include any chat logs or even photos.  My husband's consulate, Auckland, is very low fraud though.

YMMV

No.  And it likely won't even come up.  USCIS does not care about love stories.  They only care about eligibility to file the petition.

Profile has been updated. Thanks for the heads up! I'll be going to the only choice in Canada, which is Montreal. 

Okay, I'll just stick to the describing the in-person meeting in detail, and omit any lengthy parts about before any of that happened. You don't think proposing on the first meeting won't raise any red flags? I guess if it doesn't come up, there's no way it could.

Just trying to get a better handle on that specific question, because my fiancee is quite worried about being denied, even though I feel our case strong. I'm trying to help ease her mind some by taking on the bigger sections of the application.

Thank you for your timely response! 

Edited by JnJ2006

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Just now, JnJ2006 said:

Profile has been updated. Thanks for the heads up! I'll be going to the only choice in Canada, which is Montreal. 

Okay, I'll just stick to the describing the in-person meeting in detail, and omit any lengthy parts about before any of that happened. You don't think proposing on the first meeting won't raise any red flags?

Just trying to get a better handle on that specific question, because my fiancee is quite worried about being denied, even though I feel our case strong. I'm trying to help ease her mind some by taking on the bigger sections of the application.

Thank you for your timely response! 

It's Canada,  she can relax

YMMV

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Just now, JnJ2006 said:

That's my angle on it, but it never hurts to be reaffirmed of that! Thank you lol

If it was Nigeria,  we might have a different opinion 

YMMV

Timeline
2 minutes ago, payxibka said:

If it was Nigeria,  we might have a different opinion 

Which does make sense in my mind, absolutely. I already mentioned what you had confirmed to me, and she seems a little at ease already about it. Thank you. 

You should be fine! As long as you guys write down exactly how you met and you share some ticket stubs, photos, messages, etc, you should be good to go :) p.s. make sure to put the date on everything!

Timeline
1 minute ago, Ash&Jaye said:

You should be fine! As long as you guys write down exactly how you met and you share some ticket stubs, photos, messages, etc, you should be good to go :) p.s. make sure to put the date on everything!

Thanks! I'll be as detailed as possible about the in-person meeting. I've got some boarding passes from my first trip. My flight there I used an e-ticket, so I'm not sure how much I can get from that. We've got receipts from things while I was there, photos, and I will be sure to date them!

Are messages useful? I could maybe pull up some messages of us talking about the in-person meeting, prior? We shared a lot of excitement about it. 

Thanks! I'll be as detailed as possible about the in-person meeting. I've got some boarding passes from my first trip. My flight there I used an e-ticket, so I'm not sure how much I can get from that. We've got receipts from things while I was there, photos, and I will be sure to date them!

Are messages useful? I could maybe pull up some messages of us talking about the in-person meeting, prior? We shared a lot of excitement about it. 

Yes! Definitely use message logs! Just adds another layer of evidence. Especially if it's talking about seeing each other in person soon and dated around the same time to when you went there! My husband and I lived in the same city when we filed but we still put in messages of like me telling him I was on the train to his house, etc! :) hope that helps!

Timeline

Yes! Definitely use message logs! Just adds another layer of evidence. Especially if it's talking about seeing each other in person soon and dated around the same time to when you went there! My husband and I lived in the same city when we filed but we still put in messages of like me telling him I was on the train to his house, etc! :) hope that helps!

Very helpful, thank you! I did not think about it like that. I'll be sure to get screenshots of stuff like that!

Might be a bit of an oddball question... but we use Facebook Messenger for all our contact in recent times. Our usernames on the chat head is set to nicknamed... will that cause an issue in proving that it's us, even though our profile pictures are both set to a different picture we took together?

Just now, JnJ2006 said:

Very helpful, thank you! I did not think about it like that. I'll be sure to get screenshots of stuff like that!

Might be a bit of an oddball question... but we use Facebook Messenger for all our contact in recent times. Our usernames on the chat head is set to nicknamed... will that cause an issue in proving that it's us, even though our profile pictures are both set to a different picture we took together?

We used Facebook Messenger screenshots and had nicknames as well! 😂 You should be fine! Especially with the photos being each of you!

Another thing we did was screenshots of our facebook profile pages. Showed we were in a relationship and had mutual friends and pictures together! Might not make any difference, but again, it's a good second layer of evidence!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Try to focus on something that shows both of you were at the same spot at the same time.  My husband and I lived within an hour of each other, so when we visited we stayed at each other’s house, and since there is no i94 (or Canadian equivalent) issued for land crossings, to meet this requirement with no doubt, we booked a hotel one weekend, which had both names on the receipt (and we both signed it).  Canada is low fraud, so whatever you have should be sufficient, I just didn’t want to delay the process at all (and when we filed, processing times were quicker than they are now).

Timeline

We used Facebook Messenger screenshots and had nicknames as well! 😂 You should be fine! Especially with the photos being each of you!

Another thing we did was screenshots of our facebook profile pages. Showed we were in a relationship and had mutual friends and pictures together! Might not make any difference, but again, it's a good second layer of evidence!

Hahaha I figured we weren't the only ones! That's good to know, for sure. We don't really have mutual friends right now, because hers are very scattered and I haven't had a chance to meet them, but I'll take photos of our profiles just as extra! Thanks again. 

1 minute ago, JnJ2006 said:

Hahaha I figured we weren't the only ones! That's good to know, for sure. We don't really have mutual friends right now, because hers are very scattered and I haven't had a chance to meet them, but I'll take photos of our profiles just as extra! Thanks again. 

I think you'll be just fine! And no worries! :) p.s. we are both lucky because we come from low fraud countries. Like other above have said, she's from Canada, so she will be fine! :) 

Edited by Ash&Jaye

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.