JesseFR

STRATEGY - Submit additional documents or wait for RFE

8 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I've been gathering lots of good information so far so thanks to all! 

Unfortunately I discovered the site only after submitting my ROC package back in Jan 2019.

I've noticed that many people had included bank statements in theirs along with some other documents I do have but didn't include (car insurance) for e.g.

My question is then : Should I submit those evidence documents asap or wait for a potential RFE. I've read many theories (regarding potential delays) on submitting (or not) extra documentation?

Let me know what you think.

As a reference, in my package I included:

Birth Certificate of our 1 year old

Tax return 2016 and 2017 (only the 1040 form copy from our accountant)

Health care coverage showing joint policy

Flight tickets from last summer

around 20 family photos

2 support letters

I'll join the Jan 2019 fillers as well to share my timeline.

Thank you again!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I would just wait, the chance to get your additional docs attached to your application is slim (if not 0%) without RFE. They will probably end up somewhere in USCIS service center.

With your already submitted docs, the chance of getting RFE is slim in my opinion.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Haiti
Timeline
15 minutes ago, JesseFR said:

Hi everyone,

I've been gathering lots of good information so far so thanks to all! 

Unfortunately I discovered the site only after submitting my ROC package back in Jan 2019.

I've noticed that many people had included bank statements in theirs along with some other documents I do have but didn't include (car insurance) for e.g.

My question is then : Should I submit those evidence documents asap or wait for a potential RFE. I've read many theories (regarding potential delays) on submitting (or not) extra documentation?

Let me know what you think.

As a reference, in my package I included:

Birth Certificate of our 1 year old

Tax return 2016 and 2017 (only the 1040 form copy from our accountant)

Health care coverage showing joint policy

Flight tickets from last summer

around 20 family photos

2 support letters

I'll join the Jan 2019 fillers as well to share my timeline.

Thank you again!

It's better you wait for a potential RFE.  Slim chance of additional evidence you will be sending will be added to your other file.

Good Luck.

Definitely it is better to wait than sending additional documents. 

1) Just because you send additional evidence does not guarantee or trigger requirement that USCIS has to add the additional documents to your original files albeit it is likely they will compile all together, but since it is recommendation, not a requirement (in the case of RFE) USCIS does not have to add it. 

2) Your ISO on your case might have assumed that you have second guess, meaning that you are hiding something and therefore it will trigger the reviewing ISO to review more thorough than usual. 

All in all, it is better to wait and see what happens than sending additional documents. If your case is approved, then good, but if your case has RFE, then respond. 

Unfortunately, it is already too late. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Your evidence is light, as you have nothing to prove that you have lived together,  nothing to show how you have combined your financial lives, and you only submitted the 1040s and not your WHOLE tax returns.

But...it is still better to wait for an RFE, as they will tell you SPECIFICALLY what they want you to send.  Go ahead and collect (and keep collecting):

1.  Copies of joint bank statements since the time you married or started the account (be sure to send ALL pages, you can choose to send monthly, or just quarterly)

2.  Get your Tax TRANSCRIPTS from the IRS for 2016, 2017, and 2018

3.  Get copies of your lease(s) or mortgage(s) since you married.  If you live with friends or relatives, get a notarized affidavit from the owner.  Explain how you pay for your utilities (if you live with someone else).

4.  Get copies of both of your driver's licenses

5.  If you use a joint credit card, and you use the card for living expenses (like grocery store, for example), copy both cards and copy the statements.

If you get an RFE, be sure you send them exactly what they tell you to send.  In my opinion, you will probably get an RFE.  If you have collected these documents listed above, you can get them into the mail ASAP.  It will delay your case by at least a month, but it could be longer.

Thank you for telling your story, as it will probably help others who are reading this!!!

Best of luck!!!

Sukie in NY

Spoiler

Spoiler

Our Prior Journey

N-400 Naturalization

18-Feb-2018 - submitted N-400 online, credit card charged

18-Feb-2018 - NOA1

12-Mar-2018 - Biometrics 

18-June-2018 - Notice of interview received

26-July-2018 - Interview  - APPROVED!!!

26-July-2018 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled

17-Aug-2018 - Oath Ceremony

Hey, as Sukie said what you sent is not enough, 

i know you have a child but that does not mean anything, u need to send at least a lease or mortgage for the place you live in, the tax form u sent needs the W2 , plus bills with both name on it or same address it's send to. Bank statements needs to show all transactions for credit or debit cards for at least a year worth showing both of you using them. 

I sent the lease of our place for 3 years living together, bank statements ( like 10 pages of us using the same bank account), sent 2 utilities bills on each of our names on it , sent our full tax return filing jointly for 2 years, then 2 birth certificate for both children we have together. 

I didn't send any pics, any affidavits from friends nor letters or traveling tickets ( even though we traveled while together) I assumed it was enough and it was 

I. Got approved a year and 2 months later :) 

Bonne chance :) 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

I have been successful sending something to the service center and had it put in my file. It wasn't additional evidence though, just a letter with an explanation. They received it just fine and added it to my file and I even get to see the letter with my own eyes at my interview several months later.

It's up to you. Send copies and if the documents for some reason don't reach your file then at least you didn't lose anything by trying.

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Thank you everyone for your responses!

I'll start gathering information regarding our finances in case of an RFE.

BTW: I did include copies our apartment leases (I had forgotten to list it out)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.