Delman

Photo requirements from Canada

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Canadian passport photos are different than US requirements, so you’ll have to make sure the studio provides the right size.  

I had no stamp, and just wrote my name and the date on the back.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, Delman said:

I’m a US citizen living in Canada I need to take photos for I-130, does it need a stamp (place where it was taken and date?) like in all Canadian photos? Or should it have no stamp on the back and just write my name with pencil?

Dated?  NO

Write name?  Yes

5cm x 5cm

YMMV

17 hours ago, payxibka said:

Dated?  NO

Write name?  Yes

5cm x 5cm

Thank you. Just all photo studios put the stamp (studios name and date the photo was taken) on the back of the photo. So I was wondering if US needs that stamp. The studio I went to did  US size photo and asked me if I need a stamp on the back of the photo so I said no stamp I’ll just write my name myself 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
13 minutes ago, Delman said:

Thank you. Just all photo studios put the stamp (studios name and date the photo was taken) on the back of the photo. So I was wondering if US needs that stamp. The studio I went to did  US size photo and asked me if I need a stamp on the back of the photo so I said no stamp I’ll just write my name myself 

Would not have been the end of the world if it was dated 

YMMV

• 3 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I edited and cropped all my passport photos with Photoshop. You're taking a risk when you let a 3rd party do it because they are not necessarily going to follow US department of state guidelines: Head must be between 1 -1 3/8 inches (25 - 35 mm) from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head

Some minimum wage worker at a local store isn't going to check that kind of stuff. You can fit 6 of the 2by2 inch photos (5cm x 5cm) in a 4 by 6 photo and have it printed at your local Walmart or similar store for very cheap. You can then very carefully cut them with a paper cutter if you have that available and it looks good (we have one where I work). 

If a minimum wage worker has an issue tells me that they are passport photos then I would tell them it's for a project and to go kick rocks. It's none of their business what your photos are for. Not sure if this helps but hopefully it can help someone else. 

So to answer your question: No, it does not need a stamp. That must purely be a Canadian thing because I have never seen a photo with a stamp on the back. No one working for the United States is going to require that.

Edited by ScooterJones

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
50 minutes ago, ScooterJones said:

So to answer your question: No, it does not need a stamp. That must purely be a Canadian thing because I have never seen a photo with a stamp on the back. No one working for the United States is going to require that.

Yeah, that's definitely just a Canadian thing.

Timeline
On 8/27/2019 at 8:06 PM, ScooterJones said:

I edited and cropped all my passport photos with Photoshop. You're taking a risk when you let a 3rd party do it because they are not necessarily going to follow US department of state guidelines: Head must be between 1 -1 3/8 inches (25 - 35 mm) from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head

The photo tool in the US website is very helpful in making sure that it is what the embassy requires.

Timeline
On 8/27/2019 at 8:00 PM, Thrillhouse said:

Yeah, that's definitely just a Canadian thing.

Ok, so is that sarcastic? Lol. Because there is no way all these US K1 applicants are going to have a stamp on the back of their passport photos. I'm all for trolling but this forum is not where I troll. Lol

Timeline
1 minute ago, ScooterJones said:

Ok, so is that sarcastic? Lol. Because there is no way all these US K1 applicants are going to have a stamp on the back of their passport photos. I'm all for trolling but this forum is not where I troll. Lol

... no? I linked the page showing the Canadian passport photo regs to confirm that yes, it is indeed a Canadian requirement. Not sure what you're saying.

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Thrillhouse said:

... no? I linked the page showing the Canadian passport photo regs to confirm that yes, it is indeed a Canadian requirement. Not sure what you're saying.

Why is @wingman23 talking about how to remove a stamp from the passport photo for the embassy? We have passport photos exactly per US department of state guidelines with no "stamp" on the back for the K1 interview. That's OK, right?

Is a Canadian requirement a US embassy requirement? Just checking.

Edited by ScooterJones

Timeline

Oh yes, you're fine, anything required for the K1 process needs to be to US standards, because it's a US process. So the stamp isn't needed.

Only Canada requires that there be a stamp on the back, and that's only for pictures needed for Canadian passports. Thing is, because Canadian style pics are the norm up here, most photo studios stamp them ALL, regardless of whether they're for Canadian or American purposes. My 2" x 2" K1 photos are stamped, even though they don't need to be. I could clean it off, but it isn't hurting anything.

Edited by Thrillhouse

Timeline
3 minutes ago, ScooterJones said:

Why is @wingman23 talking about how to remove a stamp from the passport photo for the embassy? We have passport photos exactly per US department of state guidelines with no "stamp" on the back for the K1 interview. That's OK, right?

Is a Canadian requirement a US embassy requirement? Just checking.

someone was inquiring if stamp at the back of the photos are ok. here in canada, the photo centre usually stamps the name of the shop and date taken as part of the  Canadian passport photo requirement. they then stamp all photos regardless of whether it is for canadian passport or any other purpose. thus, im sharing a way to remove the stamp. learned from the photographer since he showed me how to remove it.

for US requirement, no stamp is needed. nope, stamps are basically for canadian passport photo requirement only.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.