LochanOridium

Annexed Properties and Income Requirements

11 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

My wife is American, I'm British applying for the I-130 as we speak. We're expecting our I-130 Approval by September 2019.

She currently lives with her mother and grandmother which makes the household 4 (if you include me) making the income threshold over $32,000. Now she earns close to this threshold.

Recently, she has been given the opportunity to move out and rent a property. Now I know we need to contact the USCIS once she does move to tell them of a change of address. However, I am curious to know how the income threshold works for sponsorship if she lived in an Annexed property. It's an apartment attached to the landlord's property. Would the 'household' number be just for her and me, or would it have to include the landlord and family due to it being on their property?

Thanks,

Andy 🙂

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
Just now, LochanOridium said:

Hi everyone,

My wife is American, I'm British applying for the I-130 as we speak. We're expecting our I-130 Approval by September 2019.

She currently lives with her mother and grandmother which makes the household 4 (if you include me) making the income threshold over $32,000. Now she earns close to this threshold.

Recently, she has been given the opportunity to move out and rent a property. Now I know we need to contact the USCIS once she does move to tell them of a change of address. However, I am curious to know how the income threshold works for sponsorship if she lived in an Annexed property. It's an apartment attached to the landlord's property. Would the 'household' number be just for her and me, or would it have to include the landlord and family due to it being on their property?

Thanks,

Andy 🙂

It's her "financial" household. She doesn't have to count Mom and grandma if she doesn't support them. Her household count is 2, Herself + you, even if she shares accommodations with some family members.

Timeline

Did you look at the form and instructions?

If she does not fully support and claim them as her dependents, the only place Mom and grandmom could go in the household count is #7:

7. OPTIONAL: If you have siblings, parents, or adult children with the same principal residence who are combining their income with yours by submitting Form I-864A, enter the number here. 

But she doesn't need to combine income with them. She make more than enough by herself.

Go read the instructions (page 7) while viewing the form. https://www.uscis.gov/system/files_force/files/form/i-864instr.pdf?download=1

Yes, I did read the form and instructions. No need to be rude.

Your comments are appreciated though as at least now we know that after she moves, we can contact the USCIS with a change of details to update our i-130.

We're only human.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
13 minutes ago, LochanOridium said:

Your comments are appreciated though as at least now we know that after she moves, we can contact the USCIS with a change of details to update our i-130.

We're only human.

No one on this forum is rude - remember when reading a message, tone doesn’t always translate well.  

Any suggestion to review a form or a guide is actually for your benefit.  This entire process will drive you very crazy, very fast.  It helps to do research well in advance, to minimize your frustration later on in the process.

It’s overwhelming, of course, but the best thing to do is read things line by line and

don’t overthink.  USCIS forms are, for the most part, very clear :) 

This forum will be invaluable to you throughout the journey, because everyone here has gone through this experience and their individual journey is such a useful resource. 

Good luck on your journey!  

Timeline
36 minutes ago, LochanOridium said:

We're only human.

It wasn't rude. It was to point you to the official source of information so you could get the most detailed answer. I wouldn't have taken the time to go find the instructions and page number to provide to you or copy/paste a line item from the form if I was wasn't sincerely trying to help you. 

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

When a person asks questions that are clearly answered in the instructions, it is to their benefit to carefully study those instructions whether it be again or for the first time.  When reading instructions, do so carefully, and completely enough to understand context, THEN, interpret them literally and act accordingly.  Many pitfalls in failure to do this.  Chief among them, is that you'll never know WHAT it is you DON'T or didn't know unless you do.  You won't know what to ask about either.

If one cannot or will not do this, they would be wise to hire professional assistance.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

The bottom line is she can continue on living with Mum/Grandmum or in the attached flat of the Landlord and family, but none of them are her "household" for the purpose of the I-864 even if they are under the same roof. She is not financially responsible for their total support. And she does not need to count on financial support from them to reach the threshold salary figure. Her income of around $30k is plenty for herself and her husband (the immigrant), which is a household count of 2 no matter where she chooses to reside.

That's great news. My misreading of the documentation led me to believe it was just who was occupying which I found strange. Thank goodness for forums like this with people like yourselves to clarify details like this. 🙂

Timeline
43 minutes ago, LochanOridium said:

That's great news. My misreading of the documentation led me to believe it was just who was occupying which I found strange. Thank goodness for forums like this with people like yourselves to clarify details like this. 🙂

I admit, I had to literally print out the full instructions for the I-864 and go through crossing out sections I knew weren't about me and highlighting ones that I thought might apply. I read it at least 3-4 times before it began to click and make the tiniest bit of sense to me. Now the instructions are probably four pages longer than when we did the form. Daunting, but some useful nuggets buried in there. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.