9 posts in this topic

I have successfully been and completed my Visa Medical as of March 27th, and my interview for the K-1 Visa is officially next Monday!!

I'm obviously immensely excited and elated, but now face a whole new world of questions and desire to forward-plan as much as I possibly can.

First and foremost; where can I cross-reference the required documents I need to take to my interview, and what order should I roughly group them into? I know that various windows and parts of the interview will need different things, and I don't want to be rummaging around in my folder repeatedly trying to find things!

Secondly, I'd love to know about productive steps I can be taking to prepare for my AOS and life in the States. If I need to make a separate discussion thread for that, let me know and I'll head over there.

Wish me luck, everyone!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
47 minutes ago, AmyOlivia said:

I have successfully been and completed my Visa Medical as of March 27th, and my interview for the K-1 Visa is officially next Monday!!

I'm obviously immensely excited and elated, but now face a whole new world of questions and desire to forward-plan as much as I possibly can.

First and foremost; where can I cross-reference the required documents I need to take to my interview, and what order should I roughly group them into? I know that various windows and parts of the interview will need different things, and I don't want to be rummaging around in my folder repeatedly trying to find things!

Secondly, I'd love to know about productive steps I can be taking to prepare for my AOS and life in the States. If I need to make a separate discussion thread for that, let me know and I'll head over there.

Wish me luck, everyone!

I'll defer to those who have gotten this far re: your questions.  You're ahead of us!  However, I did want to take a moment to wish you good luck but you seem like you're on top of it so I bet you fly through it all.  🙂 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
51 minutes ago, AmyOlivia said:

Wish me luck, everyone!

You might find the UK regional forum a good place to start for London required documents 

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
2 hours ago, AmyOlivia said:

Your list of documents is on the LONDON embassy website. https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/fiancee-2/required-documents/

Note: they do not want your petition, NOA2, proof of relationship, photo albums, etc. Just bring what they list.

AND when you booked your interview online and paid, you got a confirmation of interview date, fee payment, DS-160 submission, and courier arrangements that said to print out to show at your interview. Find those things. 

The first stop is merely to get inside by showing you have an interview that day so interview booking confirmation on top.  

The first window called to inside is not your actual interview. It is a clerical worker who will be collecting your documents and asking a couple of questions to prepare your file to be given to the interviewer. That person may ask to see that you have paid the visa fee and arranged the courier. She's just getting everything organized for the interviewer. She will give you a cd of your chest x-ray the clinic sent over. You won't need that again for immigration. They give it to you in case you want it because they are done with it.

Second window you are called to is the officer who approves your visa after having a short chat with you. 

2 hours ago, AmyOlivia said:

There is a forum for AOS (Scroll down way past the visa forums) https://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/7-adjustment-of-status-green-card-from-k1-and-k3-family-based-visas/  

My fiancé had all the forms for AOS/EAD/AP mostly filled out and saved to her computer prior to my arrival. Note:  You apply for those three applications in your married name. She had prepared/printed the evidence required like the I-864 affidavit of support, tax transcript, employer letter,  in advance. We married and had everything in the mail in barely over a week because the bulk of it was done early. 

Edited by Wuozopo

As always, thank you all for your responses!

And Wuozopo, you're an absolute gem. Thank you so much! I'll get everything ordered in that manner to make sure I'm not rustling/ rummaging through everything on the day. 

I'll start keeping an eye on that forum and keep doing research! Made a good start today in terms of getting everything straight in my head for AOS/ EAD/ AP (so many acronyms...!!).

When I've been for my interview and hopefully gotten that all-important "approved", I'll make sure to share that journey here with everybody, of course! Here's hoping! ❤️ 

Timeline
24 minutes ago, AmyOlivia said:

I'll get everything ordered in that manner to make sure I'm not rustling/ rummaging through everything on the day. 

My fiancé was with me. She had organized everything and gone over it with me many times the day before. So when I'm standing at the window for documents, I couldn't hear the lady that well through the thick glass. I just got so flustered that I pushed a whole pile of documents and photocopies under that glass (in a mess) saying "Here, take what you need." She rolled her eyes in disgust as she picked through the lot and passed a pile back to me. Remember that person doesn't make the decision, so impressing them with efficiency doesn't matter. 🤣😂 My fiancé just stood back and to the side and left me to sink or swim with the grumpy document collector. The interview window part was a doddle. 

14 hours ago, Wuozopo said:

My fiancé was with me. She had organized everything and gone over it with me many times the day before. So when I'm standing at the window for documents, I couldn't hear the lady that well through the thick glass. I just got so flustered that I pushed a whole pile of documents and photocopies under that glass (in a mess) saying "Here, take what you need." She rolled her eyes in disgust as she picked through the lot and passed a pile back to me. Remember that person doesn't make the decision, so impressing them with efficiency doesn't matter. 🤣😂 My fiancé just stood back and to the side and left me to sink or swim with the grumpy document collector. The interview window part was a doddle. 

Haha, oh no!! Very grumpy document collector.

I'll be on my own during the interview etc, my fiance can't get over from the States beforehand because of his new job.

Just to double-check, Wuozopo, regarding the Affidavit (a constant source of questioning and stress for me!!); my fiance's sister filled it all out and has attached her W-2. Will I need any further evidence to support it? Her W-2 lists all of her wages, employer, etc, and because she started working for the company so long ago, she couldn't find her employer letter.

I really want everything to be perfect and go smoothly, I'm sorry for all of the questions!

Timeline
25 minutes ago, AmyOlivia said:

Just to double-check, Wuozopo, regarding the Affidavit (a constant source of questioning and stress for me!!); my fiance's sister filled it all out and has attached her W-2. Will I need any further evidence to support it? Her W-2 lists all of her wages, employer, etc, and because she started working for the company so long ago, she couldn't find her employer letter.

I really want everything to be perfect and go smoothly, I'm sorry for all of the questions!

An employer letter isn't an offer letter or an employment contract like you have in the UK that you dig up from ages ago. You go to your employer, supervisor, or HR dept and ask for one to be written fresh saying you have been employed by XYZ for ten years. You currently worh as a __________ earning $__________ per year (or month or biweekly..whatever).

I personally would not take just a W2, even though some say that's all they had. I never know if the (UK) person actually has the terminology correct. Is he calling the whole tax return a W2, like some people call it a 1040? I would choose to take--

A) an employer letter, freshly written and signed/dated. (Or an employment verification from HR that some companies have online)

-or-

B) a complete tax return for 2018 which would be all the tax return forms like 1040, Schedule 1, Schedule B, D, etc (depending on the individual) PLUS the the W2 wage statement for 2018 that completes it. 

You very well may be fine with the wage statement (Form W2) alone for London. It has been stated as okay before, but I would want the tax return that it goes with it or an employer letter too to plump out the proof more traditionally. 

11 hours ago, Wuozopo said:

An employer letter isn't an offer letter or an employment contract like you have in the UK that you dig up from ages ago. You go to your employer, supervisor, or HR dept and ask for one to be written fresh saying you have been employed by XYZ for ten years. You currently worh as a __________ earning $__________ per year (or month or biweekly..whatever).

I personally would not take just a W2, even though some say that's all they had. I never know if the (UK) person actually has the terminology correct. Is he calling the whole tax return a W2, like some people call it a 1040? I would choose to take--

A) an employer letter, freshly written and signed/dated. (Or an employment verification from HR that some companies have online)

-or-

B) a complete tax return for 2018 which would be all the tax return forms like 1040, Schedule 1, Schedule B, D, etc (depending on the individual) PLUS the the W2 wage statement for 2018 that completes it. 

You very well may be fine with the wage statement (Form W2) alone for London. It has been stated as okay before, but I would want the tax return that it goes with it or an employer letter too to plump out the proof more traditionally. 

Oh right! I understand, that's why I was getting confused with it. My fiance's sister was going off my very shaky knowledge of what would be required, which would explain the gaps etc.

I'll get in touch with my soon-to-be sister-in-law and see if she can get an employer letter and scan me a copy, just to be sure! I don't want to chance anything, not after so long waiting and getting everything ready.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.