Joyoussinger

Flu Vaccine

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

My fiance's medical is next Monday. In the instructions it says: 

• "Influenza Vaccine (for Medicals during 01 Apr to 31 Oct only)"

Can this be correct? April to October is not flu season in the United States, or do they go by flu season in Australia, where he is not going to be for long?

44 minutes ago, Joyoussinger said:

My fiance's medical is next Monday. In the instructions it says: 

• "Influenza Vaccine (for Medicals during 01 Apr to 31 Oct only)"

Can this be correct? April to October is not flu season in the United States, or do they go by flu season in Australia, where he is not going to be for long?

They want him to have had a flu shot for the Southern Hemisphere flu season, so he really should get one now.  Then when he is in the US next Fall, he will need another.  This is what my kiwi did.

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

They want him to have had a flu shot for the Southern Hemisphere flu season, so he really should get one now.  Then when he is in the US next Fall, he will need another.  This is what my kiwi did.

I kind of thought that. He will most likely be leaving Australia for good within a couple of weeks, so we're hoping they won't insist on it and save him that expense.  Thank you for your very quick reply!

Yes agreeing with above, since it is your flu season (you mentioned that about Australia), I would expect them to want him/ her to have had it as to not immigrate here with the possibility of bringing the virus.  If you can go to a doctor there or somehow have it before the medical covered by insurance I think that would be the best option! The medical exam vaccines are pricier. 

Timeline
12 minutes ago, Joyoussinger said:

I kind of thought that. He will most likely be leaving Australia for good within a couple of weeks, so we're hoping they won't insist on it and save him that expense.  Thank you for your very quick reply!

Get it done in Aus. Cheaper. Easier. 

I would also recommend he have it before leaving Aus.  Flu peaks in March/April in the United States, so it just makes sense.  

Timeline
7 hours ago, KJ2 said:

Yes agreeing with above, since it is your flu season (you mentioned that about Australia), I would expect them to want him/ her to have had it as to not immigrate here with the possibility of bringing the virus.  If you can go to a doctor there or somehow have it before the medical covered by insurance I think that would be the best option! The medical exam vaccines are pricier. 

KJ2, that makes a lot of sense. Thank you!

Timeline

Just and update:  My fiance's medical was yesterday and he didn't need the flu shot after all. They do follow the guidelines for the flu season in the US.  He can get one in the fall, when he is here, which would make more sense because the vaccine would be particular to the strain of influenza they would be expecting at the time. Thank you all for your input and the good points you've made!

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline
7 hours ago, Joyoussinger said:

Just and update:  My fiance's medical was yesterday and he didn't need the flu shot after all. They do follow the guidelines for the flu season in the US.  He can get one in the fall, when he is here, which would make more sense because the vaccine would be particular to the strain of influenza they would be expecting at the time. Thank you all for your input and the good points you've made!

Great news! I'm expecting my interview next month so hopefully its the same for me lol

I got the flu shot for free from work before moving to USA and took that paperwork in, they didn't even look at it during my medical!

Saying that though, I actually contracted a strain of influenza covered by the vaccine (confirmed by blood test) after receiving the shot but was only bed bound for 2 days instead of a more severe reaction. So with all the planes/travel coming up I would consider getting the shot anyway, especially since it's so cheap and can be free through work/community clinics etc.

12/26/17 - NOA1

06/27/18 - NOA2 (+183 days)

07/11/18 - Case sent to NVC (+14 days)

07/18/18 - NVC Received (+7 days)

08/10/18 - NVC Case Number (+23 days)

09/06/18 - All Docs Submitted (+27 days)

09/19/18 - Case Complete at NVC (+13 days)

10/18/18 -  Interview appointment letter received (+29 days)

11/20/18 - Interview Date (+33 days) - APPROVED!

11/26/18 - Visa Received 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.