vitamincee

Interview Way Too Soon, Need Help with Supporting Evidence

8 posts in this topic

Hi all! Our K-1 visa was approved in December, and my spouse arrived here end of December. We promptly got married and filed for adjustment of status the beginning of February. We just received notice that our interview is scheduled 3 weeks from now -- we were expecting it sometime in August based on the timeline.

I'm stressing out because I don't have a lot of evidence of shared financials because my spouse has only been here for three months, isn't working yet, and I'm currently financially supporting both of us. All the bills are in my name because I'm the one working and the one with a credit line. This stuff takes time to build! Will the interviewer be reasonable about this? 

I do have: Christmas cards addressed to both of us, a wedding invite addressed to both of us from a mutual friend, photos from our wedding (our families didn't come because we're q-u-e-e-r and it's complicated), gifts from my family for our wedding including copies of some checks, photos from our life together. We just got a puppy so there's the adoption papers and stuff for that.

What else can I bring to show them we're for real? I'm super nervous about this. 

Thank you everyone!

Edited by vitamincee
had to put dashes between q-u-e-e-r b/c it was censored?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Joint bank account, wills, insurance, anything which ties both of you to common money spent or a common address will help, imo.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
46 minutes ago, vitamincee said:

Hi all! Our K-1 visa was approved in December, and my spouse arrived here end of December. We promptly got married and filed for adjustment of status the beginning of February. We just received notice that our interview is scheduled 3 weeks from now -- we were expecting it sometime in August based on the timeline.

I'm stressing out because I don't have a lot of evidence of shared financials because my spouse has only been here for three months, isn't working yet, and I'm currently financially supporting both of us. All the bills are in my name because I'm the one working and the one with a credit line. This stuff takes time to build! Will the interviewer be reasonable about this? 

I do have: Christmas cards addressed to both of us, a wedding invite addressed to both of us from a mutual friend, photos from our wedding (our families didn't come because we're q-u-e-e-r and it's complicated), gifts from my family for our wedding including copies of some checks, photos from our life together. We just got a puppy so there's the adoption papers and stuff for that.

What else can I bring to show them we're for real? I'm super nervous about this. 

Thank you everyone!

We literally submitted a copy of our lease with both names, joint medical/dental insurance through my company, and that we had a joint savings account (separate checking) and that was it really... Think you are way over stressing yourself honestly.

Try to get joint cell phone, joint car insurance, anything joint is substantial not just photos and cards.

We even just did a court house ceremony and never even supplied photos or anything.

Just don't fall back on being q-u-e-e-r as making anything complicated because in the sense of immigration it makes no difference.

Edited by Ben&Zian

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

1 hour ago, Ben&Zian said:

We literally submitted a copy of our lease with both names, joint medical/dental insurance through my company, and that we had a joint savings account (separate checking) and that was it really... Think you are way over stressing yourself honestly.

Try to get joint cell phone, joint car insurance, anything joint is substantial not just photos and cards.

We even just did a court house ceremony and never even supplied photos or anything.

Just don't fall back on being q-u-e-e-r as making anything complicated because in the sense of immigration it makes no difference.

Thank you for your reply!

I'm a little concerned because:

* We don't have a lease (I own my home)
* He is unemployed so all the bills are in my name

* We don't have joint health insurance (I'm self employed and you can't get a couple on the same account for personally bought insurance anymore I think due to changes with the ACA)

* We don't have joint car insurance -- my partner can't get a license here in Oregon until he has a green card

We DO have a joint bank account for eating out and home expenses and stuff and my phone plan has two numbers on it (both his and mine). Unsure if I can get his name on the account without a credit line under his social but I will try to do so in the next week.

What do you mean about not falling back on being q-u-e-e-r as making anything complicated? 

Thanks!

Edited by vitamincee

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 minute ago, vitamincee said:

* We don't have joint health insurance (I'm self employed and you can't get a couple on the same account for personally bought insurance anymore I think due to changes with the ACA)

* We don't have joint car insurance -- my partner can't get a license here in Oregon until he has a green card

We DO have a joint bank account for eating out and home expenses and stuff and my phone plan has two numbers on it (both his and mine). Unsure if I can get his name on the account without a credit line under his social but I will try to do so in the next week.

What do you mean about not falling back on being q-u-e-e-r as making anything complicated? 

Thanks!

I knew you ment about family maybe not supporting it or whatever, that was more what I ment lol

As to other things, you can always just ad his name to bills, even if he doesn't pay anything on them. 

And ah Oregon DMV... I don't miss it, I'm from Gresham originally. Go Ducks... but anyways..

You should be able to add him to the cell phone account even without credit line or whatever... if one number is for him, put him on the account as the holder of that number.

He can also apply for credit cards... at least can try one of the 'secured' cards from your bank. Might want some 'security deposit' on it but he could get it and you and he could be co-signers or whatever on it.

We don't have much shared either here again even still.... We have the lease, we are on eachother insurances from our own companies, shared car insurance, cell phone bill (i pay for it though), life insurance policies show eachother as dull recipients.

I pay all the bills in my name still so..  Come ROC in about 5-6 months time we aren't going to have a ton either but, got to go with what you got right.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
1 hour ago, Ben&Zian said:

He can also apply for credit cards... at least can try one of the 'secured' cards from your bank. Might want some 'security deposit' on it but he could get it and you and he could be co-signers or whatever on it.

You can also add your spouse as an authorized user (with his own card) on one of your credit cards, probably. I was able to do that for Anastasia (card from Capital One) a few days after we were married.

K-1                             AOS                            
NOA1 Notice Date: 2018-05-31    NOA1 Notice Date: 2019-04-11   
NOA2 Date: 2018-11-16           Biometrics Date: 2019-05-10    
Arrived at NVC:  2018-12-03     EAD/AP In Hand: 2019-09-16     
Arrived in Moscow: 2018-12-28   GC Interview Date: 2019-09-25      
Interview date: 2019-02-14      GC In Hand: 2019-10-02
Visa issued: 2019-02-28
POE: 2019-03-11
Wedding: 2019-03-14

ROC                             Naturalization
NOA1 Notice Date: 2021-07-16    Applied Online: 2022-07-09 (biometrics waived)
Approval Date: 2022-04-06       Interview was Scheduled: 2023-01-06
10-year GC In Hand: 2022-04-14  Interview date: 2023-02-13 (passed)
                            	Oath: 2023-02-13

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline
1 hour ago, vitamincee said:

Thanks!

Authorize him as credit card user.

Use his debit card on shopping etc too. So it will show he is using your finances.

maybe you can give power of attorney?

you can set him as beneficiary for your life insurance.

even if he doesn’t work, you can put one of the utility bills on his name, or add him to utility bills, and that can be paid through the joint account.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.