fluffykim

Deadlines to travel

10 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hi random question , my fiancé and i want to see the birth of his niece who is due November.  Right now we are guessing perhaps he will be in the US Prior to that according to our timeline 

1.  Is there a deadline once you are approved at interview and have all of your paperwork that you must leave your country and move to the USA  (My country)  to start the 90 day countdown to get married for K-1 ?

2.  Once we get married in the US how soon would he be able to travel back to Jamaica to see the birth ?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
11 minutes ago, fluffykim said:

Hi random question , my fiancé and i want to see the birth of his niece who is due November.  Right now we are guessing perhaps he will be in the US Prior to that according to our timeline 

1.  Is there a deadline once you are approved at interview and have all of your paperwork that you must leave your country and move to the USA  (My country)  to start the 90 day countdown to get married for K-1 ?

2.  Once we get married in the US how soon would he be able to travel back to Jamaica to see the birth ?

I can only answer the 2nd question because I am a bit rust on K1 visa rules. Once you are married and have filed for AOS, EAD, and AP it will take about 5-6 months to get the travel authorization according to current visajourney timelines. So if he comes over now and you get married and file you should still be able to go back in November to see his niece unless, for some reason, processing times get longer. But if you still have a few more months left before you are expected to be approved you might want to wait until after the birth of his niece for him to come over. It all depends on how fast things will go. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

IF your timeline is accurate it would be more likely that he didn't have his visa yet than he would already be in the US and able to travel. He probably will have his visa by then but the chances of him already being able to travel out of the US at that point are basically zero.

I'll add that processing times are always changing so you never know.

Edited by ThomasNC1988

Timeline
9 minutes ago, ThomasNC1988 said:

IF your timeline is accurate it would be more likely that he didn't have his visa yet than he would already be in the US and able to travel. He probably will have his visa by then but the chances of him already being able to travel out of the US at that point are basically zero.

I'll add that processing times are always changing so you never know.

In terms of question one how soon after the interview and approval does he have to leave and come to the US ?   I’m guessing based on the timeline that he could be interview medical approved by the.  End of the summer beginning of fall    

Can he sit around until November before coming to the US or is there a timeline that he hast to leave and come to the USCan he sit around until November before coming to the US or is there a timeline that he hast to leave and come to the US

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
3 minutes ago, fluffykim said:

In terms of question one how soon after the interview and approval does he have to leave and come to the US ?   I’m guessing based on the timeline that he could be interview medical approved by the.  End of the summer beginning of fall    

Can he sit around until November before coming to the US or is there a timeline that he hast to leave and come to the USCan he sit around until November before coming to the US or is there a timeline that he hast to leave and come to the US

His visa should expire 6 months after his medical exam so he will have to enter the US by then. It is easy to delay the visa processing if you choose to.

Timeline
10 minutes ago, ThomasNC1988 said:

His visa should expire 6 months after his medical exam so he will have to enter the US by then. It is easy to delay the visa processing if you choose to.

OK that’s great to know six months is more than enough of a buffer   

For some reason I always thought that the six months was once he enters the US so in the event that he has to come home for whatever reason deportation that he can go back (god forbid)

Timeline
Just now, fluffykim said:

OK that’s great to know six months is more than enough of a buffer   

For some reason I always thought that the six months was once he enters the US so in the event that he has to come home for whatever reason deportation that he can go back (god forbid)

Oh I’m thinking of his passport not visa   Ha.  I need to drink more coffee 

But that does need to come into consideration he needs to have six months on his passport and then I think the visa component to

For planning purposes, you will want to note that once he does arrive in the US on his K-1 visa, he will not be re-admitted if he leaves, until he receives his AP.  

My husband got here last October, and just now got his AP.  

Timeline
16 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

For planning purposes, you will want to note that once he does arrive in the US on his K-1 visa, he will not be re-admitted if he leaves, until he receives his AP.  

My husband got here last October, and just now got his AP.  

Firstly, CONGRATS :)

Secondly, ok that sounds right...i was reading about 6months...so good to know.  Thank you soo much and congrats again

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
On 3/18/2019 at 5:46 AM, fluffykim said:

You will see the expiration date of 6 months on the K-1 Visa.  It is usually based upon when it was issued.  He must travel to the US before it expires.  After you marry within the 90 days, and file your AOS, EAD, and AP.  It will be 6 months before he can travel back to JA.  

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.