Meggan P

RFE Co-sponsor questions please help

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hello, Well I had a feeling this would happen. They did not accept all the money I have received as a veteran so I am having to get a co-sponsor. I received an RFE asking for my latest tax return. I filed the petition in January and submitted my 2017 tax return, my 2016 and 2015 returns as well as an employer letter and pay stubs. So my guess is they want my 2018 return. Thank God I have filed it already. 

Here is the problem:

I have a co-sponsor who made 54,000 dollars last year. He supports my sister, and their child. He has 2 sons from a previous marriage and they do not live with him he gets them on weekends every two weeks, and he did not include them as dependents because his ex wife has for 2018. He has included my sister, my niece and his brother's teenage daughter who lives with them.  My father lives with them and he supports himself. He has one other individual who also lives their and supports himself. So based on this information his household size would include my sister, my niece, his niece, and my husband. Does he also include himself in the household size? That is not made clear on the instructions from what I read. Also, he has his 2018 tax return, his 2017 tax return but NOT his 2016. He cannot find his 2016 return and does not remember where he filed it. He will be able to answer how much he made in 2016 because he has easy access to his W2's and he had no other income other than his job. He has a letter from his employer and 6 months worth of pay stubs. Based on this information I have provided is it absolutely necessary to send the previous year's return? If we cannot locate the 2016 return is it even worth it to send the 2017 return? He cannot access his TAX TRANSCRIPTS due to an issue with IRS.gov requiring a CREDIT card to verify identity. So we are sending returns and that is also what the RFE states it wants specifically is returns not transcripts. Also he recently paid off his home and has 15 acres of land. Any clue how to prove that in assets? 

Last question unrelated to the RFE, How does one find out what service center the EAD went to? we filed in January and he got biometrics on February the 10th. No other updates have been provided. 

P.S I know I need to update my timeline I've been busy I'll get to it :) 

Thank you for your help!

-Meggan and Joseph 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
1 hour ago, Meggan P said:

They did not accept all the money I have received as a veteran so I am having to get a co-sponsor. I received an RFE asking for my latest tax return. I filed the petition in January and submitted my 2017 tax return, my 2016 and 2015 returns as well as an employer letter and pay stubs. So my guess is they want my 2018 return. Thank God I have filed it already. 

How did you prove the veteran money? Does it show up on your tax return or is it non-taxable income?

Did your previously submitted tax returns have the corresponding W2s with them? If not, then that is the reason the 2017 return was rejected because until April 15, the 2018 tax return is not required. They won't look at any of your proofs if the latest tax return was incomplete, i.e. not every page of the return PLUS W2.

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

How did you prove the veteran money? Does it show up on your tax return or is it non-taxable income?

Did your previously submitted tax returns have the corresponding W2s with them? If not, then that is the reason the 2017 return was rejected because until April 15, the 2018 tax return is not required. They won't look at any of your proofs if the latest tax return was incomplete, i.e. not every page of the return PLUS W2.

It is non taxable income i used a print out from ebenefits and my bank statements to prove it. I submitted my 1040 ez with a W2 they STILL want my 2018 return. I had no other income and no itemized deductions it was a simple return. I filed with H and R block my return is only a few pages. All the other pages are from H and R Block. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Lithuania
Timeline
7 hours ago, Meggan P said:

It is non taxable income i used a print out from ebenefits and my bank statements to prove it. I submitted my 1040 ez with a W2 they STILL want my 2018 return. I had no other income and no itemized deductions it was a simple return. I filed with H and R block my return is only a few pages. All the other pages are from H and R Block. 

hi!
AOS JAN filer here too. Umm.. Sounds complicated.. I'd say all they wanna see is that he had income in 2018, taxable or not. Get the W2, 2018 transcript (preferably a return or both for that matter, you can request a mail one, it arrived in 3 day for me), print out the zillow or any other property website with an estimated value ( did that for K-1 interview). Give them ALL of the pages from tax returns, doesn't matter H&R or not.
and Yes, He is counted towards a household, as he uses that money to support himself, doesn't he? Calculate everyone who's on his tax return + him. 

Even if you'll use a cosponsor, you still have to provide them with your tax return. The reason they ask for 2018, because by the deadline to send a reply for RFE, you should've completed the 2018 too, and they are trying to avoid additional RFE.

I'm not an expert in this, maybe someone else will chime in with better advice, but that's all i could think of.

Best of Luck!

Timeline
9 hours ago, PaulMac said:

hi!
AOS JAN filer here too. Umm.. Sounds complicated.. I'd say all they wanna see is that he had income in 2018, taxable or not. Get the W2, 2018 transcript (preferably a return or both for that matter, you can request a mail one, it arrived in 3 day for me), print out the zillow or any other property website with an estimated value ( did that for K-1 interview). Give them ALL of the pages from tax returns, doesn't matter H&R or not.
and Yes, He is counted towards a household, as he uses that money to support himself, doesn't he? Calculate everyone who's on his tax return + him. 

Even if you'll use a cosponsor, you still have to provide them with your tax return. The reason they ask for 2018, because by the deadline to send a reply for RFE, you should've completed the 2018 too, and they are trying to avoid additional RFE.

I'm not an expert in this, maybe someone else will chime in with better advice, but that's all i could think of.

Best of Luck!

I wonder if we should just request his tax transcripts for the last 3 years and if it makes a difference? I appreciate your input and I'll make sure he is included in the household total. I'll send them my tax return and w2 per their request. I will submit everything they as for but you know as well as i do they don't tell us everything so I'll be sending the employer info as well. *sigh* I wish they realized I could not go to university without my Veteran funds. It is what keeps my bills paid, I have my own apartment, vehicle loan, cell phone, etc etc... Without my GI bill I would not be able to do this. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Lithuania
Timeline
14 hours ago, Meggan P said:

I wonder if we should just request his tax transcripts for the last 3 years and if it makes a difference? I appreciate your input and I'll make sure he is included in the household total. I'll send them my tax return and w2 per their request. I will submit everything they as for but you know as well as i do they don't tell us everything so I'll be sending the employer info as well. *sigh* I wish they realized I could not go to university without my Veteran funds. It is what keeps my bills paid, I have my own apartment, vehicle loan, cell phone, etc etc... Without my GI bill I would not be able to do this. 

I'd say it won't hurt to add a couple extra. Send them 18,17,16 transcripts,returns,w-2's for both sponsor and Co-sponsor. Don't forget to sign RFE!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.