brightfuture78

Likely Positive...

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My fiancee just finished her 6th week of waiting for her SPUTUM culture results and I was starting to feel pretty optimistic that we would make it to the full 8 weeks before being contacted by SLEC (the outcome most hope for). However, yesterday she received a call from them. They want her to come in on March 13th for her results. She asked the person on the phone what the outcome was, but they told her they couldn't give them over the phone.

I know not every case is the same but from what I've read, getting a call early is generally not a good sign. I told my fiance she should prepare herself for results she doesn't want to hear, but assured her that we'll be alright, no matter what.

There is one aspect about her case that I found particularly odd - after she did her SPUTUM collection, they handed her a form with an appointment to return on March 22nd for the release of her culture results. No instructions to call first - just show up there on that date for the results. I've never heard of them doing it this way before. Usually, they tell you to call in 8 weeks later and THEN they give you an appointment to come back.

Technically, they only moved her results appointment up by 1 week, and I've heard of people calling in 1-2 weeks early, being informed that their results were "ready", and ending up being negative for TB. That tells me that there is some point before the full 60 days where they feel pretty certain that the patient is TB free, without having to complete the full incubation period. Still, I can't find any solace in that - I've never heard of SLEC taking the initiative to give the patient early results unless they were bad. Then again, like I said, they seem to have recently changed their process a little bit, so who knows? All we can do now is hope for the best, but expect the worst.

Just felt the need to vent my anxiety. Thanks for listening.

Edited by brightfuture78

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

With TB on the rise, even in the USA, I expect things to be even more to the cautious side.    Technically your fiancee was contacted a little over 2 weeks early and given an appt date to come to SLEC

Normally an early call means .. 6 months of DOT.      

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: Timeline

If it hasn't been 8 weeks then likely it's positive. This is exactly what happened with us. My fiancé received the dreaded call at about 6 weeks and then came 6 moths + in Manila.  It's hard , but if it is positive having the piece of mind that she will be cured of a disease that kills people is a comfort.

My  fiancé (now wife for over 3 years) made several close friends during her treatment. They are all now in the US and although for the most part they don't live in the same area they still talk and support each other. Make sure she knows that this changes nothing....my fiancés biggest fear was that would I dump her (it happened to a person she knew).

In a weird way I think that it strengthened our relationship. She knew I was in it for the long haul. 

Best of luck to you and your fiancé, 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, bowens44 said:

If it hasn't been 8 weeks then likely it's positive. This is exactly what happened with us. My fiancé received the dreaded call at about 6 weeks and then came 6 moths + in Manila.  It's hard , but if it is positive having the piece of mind that she will be cured of a disease that kills people is a comfort.

My  fiancé (now wife for over 3 years) made several close friends during her treatment. They are all now in the US and although for the most part they don't live in the same area they still talk and support each other. Make sure she knows that this changes nothing....my fiancés biggest fear was that would I dump her (it happened to a person she knew).

In a weird way I think that it strengthened our relationship. She knew I was in it for the long haul. 

Best of luck to you and your fiancé, 

When they contacted her early, how soon did they make her come back? Did they give her an appointment, or tell her to just come back immediately? Thanks for your input?

Filed: Timeline
4 minutes ago, brightfuture78 said:

When they contacted her early, how soon did they make her come back? Did they give her an appointment, or tell her to just come back immediately? Thanks for your input?

If I remember correctly it was not very long.  I think she started treatment with in a week or two being notified. Honestly that period of time is a bit of a blur. B

Timeline
5 minutes ago, bowens44 said:

If I remember correctly it was not very long.  I think she started treatment with in a week or two being notified. Honestly that period of time is a bit of a blur. B

Did they notify her of the positive result over the phone, or did they wait until she showed up in person, and then reveal it?

• 4 weeks later...
Timeline

Any update about this topic?? Your fiance culture test turn out positive or negative? I'm running 7 weeks of my culture test now but at this moment I didn't get any call yet so far.. how did it go??? Thank you 

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, MimiChan said:

Any update about this topic?? Your fiance culture test turn out positive or negative? I'm running 7 weeks of my culture test now but at this moment I didn't get any call yet so far.. how did it go??? Thank you 

No call at this point, odds are your culture will be negative.    Just a little more patience.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

Thank you . This is a very rare case I heard to get a call from sleC during 6 weeks. We actually have a group chat to those who experience sputum. Most of them who got call from sleC is around 1-4 weeks of culture. But yes it's really case to case basis. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.