Voice of Reason

Last Blockbuster store on Earth located in US, as Australian location closes

16 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, ALFKAD said:

I remember my last rental from Blockbuster.  I was late on a video or two and racked up like over 50 or more bucks in late charges in the span of a few days. Never set foot in one again. I remember I could have bought the video 2x times. Their revenue base was all about late fees. That and the evolving online streaming market killed them 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

What I often wonder is how Family Video stays in business.  I still see quite a few of these open in cities and towns.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

13 hours ago, Nature Boy 2.0 said:

I remember my last rental from Blockbuster.  I was late on a video or two and racked up like over 50 or more bucks in late charges in the span of a few days. Never set foot in one again. I remember I could have bought the video 2x times. Their revenue base was all about late fees. That and the evolving online streaming market killed them 

I knew someone who was a couple days late one time on a video and they forgot about the fees. Next thing they know it is sent to a collection agency who was demanding about $50. I always avoided blockbuster and rented from some of the smaller video places. Some of them are still in business today.

morfunphil1_zpsoja67jml.jpg

1 hour ago, jg121783 said:

I knew someone who was a couple days late one time on a video and they forgot about the fees. Next thing they know it is sent to a collection agency who was demanding about $50. I always avoided blockbuster and rented from some of the smaller video places. Some of them are still in business today.

Same thing happens with your doctors bill, mortgage and credit cards if you are late. Moral of the story is read the consumer agreement for any service and know what will happen, and when you owe someone money, don't pay late.

If something goes to a collection agency, you are paying for their employee time too. It is always going to be more than the original charges.

995507-quote-moderation-in-all-things-an

3 hours ago, Steeleballz said:

Same thing happens with your doctors bill, mortgage and credit cards if you are late. Moral of the story is read the consumer agreement for any service and know what will happen, and when you owe someone money, don't pay late.

If something goes to a collection agency, you are paying for their employee time too. It is always going to be more than the original charges.

and when I pull a credit app and they are a 550 because they did not pay their bills they are shocked. I manage my credit wisely and have pulled north of 820

Oddly enough 90% of the time you can tell their credit range based on behavior 

5 hours ago, Nature Boy 2.0 said:

and when I pull a credit app and they are a 550 because they did not pay their bills they are shocked. I manage my credit wisely and have pulled north of 820

Oddly enough 90% of the time you can tell their credit range based on behavior 

Not always though. I went with a friend of mine once to a Mercedes dealership. He was pretty well off and looking for a new car, but it was the middle of summer so he just had old shorts and a T-shirt. So the salesman came over and looked at us and first thing he does is point across the lot and said you guys are looking for pre-owned vehicles. My friend didn't like the way he said it, and we left and he ended up buying a new Lexus down the street. He wanted to drive it back to the Mercedes dealer to show the guy how much he spent, but I convinced him not to. 

Filed: Timeline
6 minutes ago, Steeleballz said:

Not always though. I went with a friend of mine once to a Mercedes dealership. He was pretty well off and looking for a new car, but it was the middle of summer so he just had old shorts and a T-shirt. So the salesman came over and looked at us and first thing he does is point across the lot and said you guys are looking for pre-owned vehicles. My friend didn't like the way he said it, and we left and he ended up buying a new Lexus down the street. He wanted to drive it back to the Mercedes dealer to show the guy how much he spent, but I convinced him not to. 

I’d have asked for a different salesman at the same lot, and bought a car from him.  Would have taught the snobbish salesman a lesson, me thinks.

5 minutes ago, ALFKAD said:

I’d have asked for a different salesman at the same lot, and bought a car from him.  Would have taught the snobbish salesman a lesson, me thinks.

I thought it was all kind of funny. Unless it's a wedding or a funeral, I'm usually under dressed for whatever I'm doing so I guess I was used to getting that kind of reaction, but my friend wasn't. I had a bit of fun with it for the rest of the day. 

31 minutes ago, Steeleballz said:

You should have let him. 

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

35 minutes ago, Steeleballz said:

Not like that. Its behavior that is the clue, not looks.Often times people that are not flashy have the most sound fiscal practices, only an idiot would do what that guy did.

However when people are super compliant with every thing you say they agree to, they often are credit challenged . By the same token when they are super flashy etc lots of time its bad credit.

If they pull in driving a fairly new Chrysler or nissan product, you know they are way upside down. 

I was an industrial manager most of my life. It has been very interesting 

It is very rare to make a big comission on a car nowdays 

28 minutes ago, Steeleballz said:

I thought it was all kind of funny. Unless it's a wedding or a funeral, I'm usually under dressed for whatever I'm doing so I guess I was used to getting that kind of reaction, but my friend wasn't. I had a bit of fun with it for the rest of the day. 

Ps he made a really smart decision going with the lexus. Mercedes get very little respect fron car guys 

40 minutes ago, ALFKAD said:

But the snob would probably stil get half

1 hour ago, Nature Boy 2.0 said:

Not like that. Its behavior that is the clue, not looks.Often times people that are not flashy have the most sound fiscal practices, only an idiot would do what that guy did.

However when people are super compliant with every thing you say they agree to, they often are credit challenged . By the same token when they are super flashy etc lots of time its bad credit.

If they pull in driving a fairly new Chrysler or nissan product, you know they are way upside down. 

I was an industrial manager most of my life. It has been very interesting 

It is very rare to make a big comission on a car nowdays 

Profile much? 

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015