LukeU

What's missing

44 posts in this topic

Sausages nothing fancy but I oddly miss Tesco butchers choice Cumberland sausage! It's not like I even ate much in the way of sausages but I just haven't found any here I like :( oh and Cornish pasties 😂

Most other little tastes of home my mum sends me regularly, chocolate, biscuits, gravy granules :)

Everything crossed for a smooth and stress free journey

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline
On 3/2/2019 at 2:23 PM, Wuozopo said:

There is nothing I miss. I am settled in, and Texas is my home...for better or worse. I would never entertain the thought of moving back to England. I think the key is accept your new place for what it is and don't keep trying to recreate the UK in the US. Jump in and find new things to eat and do. I'm in an area of big wide roads, cheap petrol,  and acres of free parking. I embrace it and have forgotten about walking to the shops and having pavements.

Yes, that limbo period when you are a K1 and can't do much can be difficult for some. I drove on my UK license and spent my wife's money. Get over thinking "my money" and "your money" and think "our money". Your fiancé/spouse agreed to support you.  That early period won't last forever.  

What may seem unimportant to some is essential for others. Personal circumstances also have a role. For me, walking every day was a release from my role as a mother to a special needs child. The demands on me have not decreased from emigrating, in fact they have increased as I attempt to enable my child to integrate too. Good for you if you if you have found a way that works for you but don't assume that your way is the only way. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
15 minutes ago, fip & jim said:

What may seem unimportant to some is essential for others. Personal circumstances also have a role. For me, walking every day was a release from my role as a mother to a special needs child. The demands on me have not decreased from emigrating, in fact they have increased as I attempt to enable my child to integrate too. Good for you if you if you have found a way that works for you but don't assume that your way is the only way. 

I don't assume it's the same for everybody. Did I sound like I did? I'm sorry. While I don't walk to shopping, we have miles of paved hike and bike trails and forested trails, creeks, and ponds in the adjacent nature preserve for getting out and walking or jogging. 

Timeline
11 hours ago, Wuozopo said:

While I don't walk to shopping, we have miles of paved hike and bike trails and forested trails, creeks, and ponds in the adjacent nature preserve for getting out and walking or jogging. 

The problem right now is that I can't get to those kind of places on my own. It should be resolved soon when I can drive. You caught me at a bad time. I didn't mean to be touchy. I'm sorry too. 😔

14 hours ago, trudi said:

Sausages nothing fancy but I oddly miss Tesco butchers choice Cumberland sausage! It's not like I even ate much in the way of sausages but I just haven't found any here I like :( 

Oh god! Why did you have to mention that? Now I'm craving. 😭

Timeline
On 3/3/2019 at 9:58 AM, Meisha&Jake said:

My mum & my sister came out in Nov 2018 for our small wedding ceremony, they are hoping to visit in Summer & hopefully ill have AP by my Mum's big 60th birthday in August so me & Jake can go celebrate with her back home in the UK :)

That's something to look forward to and focus on. 

My daughter is coming out in 3 weeks. The longest we've ever been apart before this is 10 weeks. I haven't seen her since her graduation last June. I can't wait to squeeeeeze her. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
On 3/3/2019 at 2:23 AM, LukeU said:

That we did and we established out the amount of tea that @Wuozopo driinks is enough to drown a fully grown elephant! 

I 100% agree with regards to finding something new, we went running last time Courtney came over around the playing fields I run around and she was like "there's nothing like this back at home." Fast forward a month or so we went running there, along the river and it was absolutely beautiful. To me it seems for everything 5 things you 'lose'  you gain 10. 

The team approach regarding money is definitely the best one, thankfully similar to Herschell and yourself we do everything as a joint operation, it's just still going to seem strange. Although that is only in my eyes, Courtney couldn't care less! 

We've found out, I love hoovering, hate polishing and don't mind laundry other than ironing shirts, but we'll compromise on that 😛 Cooking, I used to be a chef so that's all set. 

Now that's a road trip and half, I wanna' come along! We're looking down the line to move from MI to OR and I think I've managed to talk Courtney into renting a van and driving across over a week or so and stopping along the way! I hope my fines/points go on to Courtney haha! 

I'm pretty sure you'll manage to have the parking spot ;) I have a feeling haha! 

Cars is a massive talking point, if Courtney moved to the UK we would buy her a mini and if I moved there, we would get me a pickup truck....guess who's getting a truck! :P 

Really want to wish you every success for next week for your interview - just caught your interview date for then! Don't worry, fret, overthink! The Embassy are lovely. Can't wait for you to update us all on your approval! When your here, the British ex-pats are all fully behind you for anything you need/questions etc :D 

47 minutes ago, jakejon said:

Really want to wish you every success for next week for your interview - just caught your interview date for then! Don't worry, fret, overthink! The Embassy are lovely. Can't wait for you to update us all on your approval! When your here, the British ex-pats are all fully behind you for anything you need/questions etc :D 

Thank you so much for that! 

I mean overthinking, fretting and worrying is pretty much my through process at idle regarding thing whole thing :P Although the interview in all fairness has me much less worked up than the medical! I know 100% Courtney and I are legit so I aren't worrying really. 

Summary:

Filed I129f: 06/09/2018

NOA2 dated: 11/29/2018

NVC Case #: Fianceé (USC) Called and received it: 01/08/2019

Case Shipped: 01/08/2019

Case Received: 01/15/2019

Medical: 02/08/2019

Interview: 03/11/2019 - Approved

Visa In Hand: 03/15/2019

US Entry: 05/11/2019 - DTW

Marriage: 06/22/2019

Filed AOS/EAD/AP: 08/02/2019

NOA1: 08/09/2019

RFE: 09/29/2019

Biometrics: 09/30/2019

Interview Letter Received: 11/02/2019

Interview Date: 12/09/2019

AOS Approval Date: 01/04/2020 (Assuming - that's the valid date on my card)

Green Card Received: 01/08/2020

18 hours ago, trudi said:

Sausages nothing fancy but I oddly miss Tesco butchers choice Cumberland sausage! It's not like I even ate much in the way of sausages but I just haven't found any here I like :( oh and Cornish pasties 😂

Most other little tastes of home my mum sends me regularly, chocolate, biscuits, gravy granules :)

You’ve just reminded me! Bistro gravy! Definitely bringing some out with me in a few weeks 🙃.

51 minutes ago, LukeU said:

Thank you so much for that! 

I mean overthinking, fretting and worrying is pretty much my through process at idle regarding thing whole thing :P Although the interview in all fairness has me much less worked up than the medical! I know 100% Courtney and I are legit so I aren't worrying really. 

You know what? I feel the same actually, definitely more nervous about the medical!

I remember when I went for my tourist visa interview at the embassy in 2017 and whilst I was stood in the queue for the second interview, there was a guy at the window who was obviously being interviewed for a K1 - I remember hearing them asking him “how did you meet...what did you talk about...have you met her parents?”   etc...and I was like, crikey, they’re really grilling that guy...and in a few months, it’ll be me getting that grilling...however, I don’t feel worried at all actually, I like talking about Herschell and our relationship, so I’ll probably tell them extra stuff that they don’t want to know! 😆

The thing that I think I’ll find stressful is the waiting...I’m super organised and like to deal with everything as soon as possible...like, at work I have articles that need to be ready to be published on 18th March and I’ve drafted them already (generally we aim to complete 48 hours beforehand)...I just like everything to be dealt with!

However, my NOA2 is predicated to arrive at the end of April...so should be at London embassy by end of May...I then need to wait until July until the medical, as I can’t have my interview until 10th September (I’m visiting my fiancé and arrive back on 9th September)...so I’m going to have a month of just waiting until I can have my medical...then two months of waiting until the visa interview....and then I have 9-10 weeks for the visa to arrive (if it doesn’t, I’m going to have to take my dog over and then come back to start waiting again 😫)...

So much waiting time...

I’m going to the doctors on Wednesday to get the jabs I need (might as well get them out the way)...and going to my diabetes consultant next week for my annual checkup (and will request a letter from her then)...then will send off for the ACRO in May...and see the doctors again June to get my health care summary, plus a letter detailing my other conditions (anaemia and hypothyroidism)...and then after the medical in July, I’ll just have to learn to knit or something, to occupy myself 😳...

38 minutes ago, Zoeeeeeee said:

You’ve just reminded me! Bistro gravy! Definitely bringing some out with me in a few weeks 🙃.

You know what? I feel the same actually, definitely more nervous about the medical!

I remember when I went for my tourist visa interview at the embassy in 2017 and whilst I was stood in the queue for the second interview, there was a guy at the window who was obviously being interviewed for a K1 - I remember hearing them asking him “how did you meet...what did you talk about...have you met her parents?”   etc...and I was like, crikey, they’re really grilling that guy...and in a few months, it’ll be me getting that grilling...however, I don’t feel worried at all actually, I like talking about Herschell and our relationship, so I’ll probably tell them extra stuff that they don’t want to know! 😆

I've read a lot of the UK embassy reviews and some of them just seem to be asked less than the woman at the cafeteria at work asked me! And I'm the same, I love speaking about it so I have no quarms in it. Not to mention I'm one of those people (maybe to my fault) but if I know I'm legit and nothing is untoward, I'm really laid back and just stating it as it is. So speaking about us two isn't an issue or answering their questions. 

21 minutes ago, Zoeeeeeee said:

The thing that I think I’ll find stressful is the waiting...I’m super organised and like to deal with everything as soon as possible...like, at work I have articles that need to be ready to be published on 18th March and I’ve drafted them already (generally we aim to complete 48 hours beforehand)...I just like everything to be dealt with!

However, my NOA2 is predicated to arrive at the end of April...so should be at London embassy by end of May...I then need to wait until July until the medical, as I can’t have my interview until 10th September (I’m visiting my fiancé and arrive back on 9th September)...so I’m going to have a month of just waiting until I can have my medical...then two months of waiting until the visa interview....and then I have 9-10 weeks for the visa to arrive (if it doesn’t, I’m going to have to take my dog over and then come back to start waiting again 😫)...

So much waiting time...

I’m going to the doctors on Wednesday to get the jabs I need (might as well get them out the way)...and going to my diabetes consultant next week for my annual checkup (and will request a letter from her then)...then will send off for the ACRO in May...and see the doctors again June to get my health care summary, plus a letter detailing my other conditions (anaemia and hypothyroidism)...and then after the medical in July, I’ll just have to learn to knit or something, to occupy myself 😳...

With regards to having things organised I'm the exact same, by profession though as I'm a maintenance planner so plans within 90 days for weekly assessments and up to 5 yearly plans are the norm...so having everything so up in the air is kinda' painful to my brain :P 

It's definitely good to just get things together while you can on slow-time, I did it between November - February (jabs and what not), it makes everything else so much smoother. The medical when you have all your paperwork is honestly a breeze! 

Instead of the knitting, just into the AOS forum and start reading up that, I've read through each of those guides and timelines to guestimate as roughly/best we can with the information provided. The forms and what not. It can't hurt to start checking phone contract expirations and what not :) Get all your ducks in a row 

Summary:

Filed I129f: 06/09/2018

NOA2 dated: 11/29/2018

NVC Case #: Fianceé (USC) Called and received it: 01/08/2019

Case Shipped: 01/08/2019

Case Received: 01/15/2019

Medical: 02/08/2019

Interview: 03/11/2019 - Approved

Visa In Hand: 03/15/2019

US Entry: 05/11/2019 - DTW

Marriage: 06/22/2019

Filed AOS/EAD/AP: 08/02/2019

NOA1: 08/09/2019

RFE: 09/29/2019

Biometrics: 09/30/2019

Interview Letter Received: 11/02/2019

Interview Date: 12/09/2019

AOS Approval Date: 01/04/2020 (Assuming - that's the valid date on my card)

Green Card Received: 01/08/2020

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline
On 3/2/2019 at 11:11 PM, Zoeeeeeee said:

So, we spoke at length about this on another thread, so I won’t bore you with the teabag/Branson pickle lament again @LukeU!

I lived in LA for 6 months in 2017 and I think the only thing I didn’t stop missing was getting malt vinegar with chips (food-wise) and lush green grass (LA is fairly briwn as opposed to green, though currently they’re having an El Niño year, so that’s not entirely accurate right now!). However, as @Wuozopo said, for everything you ‘lose’, you gain something else instead - like, rather than doing ParkRun through green grass on Saturday, I’d run the Griffith Observatory hills on Wednesdays, as the sun rises over the Hollywood sign 😍.

My dog is coming with me, that was a non-negotiable factor. 

I know I’ll miss my mum, so I moved in with her in December, so we could spend my last year here together (I’m expecting/hoping to move in November - we’ve had to delay stuff to wait for an available kennel on the Queen Mary 2, as my dog is too old to fly). I’m really glad I made that decision as I get to have real, quality time with her before I go - cook each other dinner etc, walk the dogs together, do yoga together 🙃.

Re money, I like to be independent, so am working my behind off to save - however, me and my fiancé already work as a joint operation when it comes to money - it doesn’t matter who pays what, because we’re a team. So, we both know that Herschell will be supporting me for many months and we’re cool with that. But I have made it clear that I don’t do hoovering and Herschell’s accepted that’ll always be a solo mission 😂😂.

I'm also looking at the possibility of transporting my dog via the ferry, so I'd love to know a little more information about the process! 

Did you call up Cunards and find out the availability for the kennel? ☺️

12 minutes ago, nitad3 said:

I'm also looking at the possibility of transporting my dog via the ferry, so I'd love to know a little more information about the process! 

Did you call up Cunards and find out the availability for the kennel? ☺️

Yep - they have a separate number for the team that deal with kennel booking, but if you call the main number, they will give you the correct one to call...you then call them, check availability...before calling back the main line to book a human ticket for yourself for that date...and then calling the kennel line again to book! (You have to have your cabin booked before they’ll book a kennel)

They have 12 kennels on the QM2 - 6 for smaller dogs and 6 for larger dogs (though small ones can obviously go in there). Average wait times are 14-18 months (I booked it in August 2018, for November 2019).

It’s $1000 for a large kennel, $700 for a small kennel. They seem to really treat the dogs well and the visiting hours are pretty good too!

Let me know if you have any other Qs...I researched it that much, I feel like I know more about it than the people that work there 😆😆😆

Totally worth it for this old bear though (yes, he does have that photo on his passport too 😆):

F064BE2C-FDD2-410F-82E1-1A3B00B88324.jpeg

Timeline
1 minute ago, Zoeeeeeee said:

Yep - they have a separate number for the team that deal with kennel booking, but if you call the main number, they will give you the correct one to call...you then call them, check availability...before calling back the main line to book a human ticket for yourself for that date...and then calling the kennel line again to book! (You have to have your cabin booked before they’ll book a kennel)

They have 12 kennels on the QM2 - 6 for smaller dogs and 6 for larger dogs (though small ones can obviously go in there). Average wait times are 14-18 months (I booked it in August 2018, for November 2019).

It’s $1000 for a large kennel, $700 for a small kennel. They seem to really treat the dogs well and the visiting hours are pretty good too!

Let me know if you have any other Qs...I researched it that much, I feel like I know more about it than the people that work there 😆😆😆

Totally worth it for this old bear though (yes, he does have that photo on his passport too 😆😞

F064BE2C-FDD2-410F-82E1-1A3B00B88324.jpeg

Thank you so much, that is so helpful! If I have any questions, I'll definitely drop you a message, if you don't mind. 

I've researched it a bit myself, and it really does seem like a fantastic service. It's definitely a big bonus for me to be able to visit my pup during the day! 

The 7 day journey seems a little daunting but it's also the only option for me and my 10 year old pup! And I love the picture of your dog, such a good sport 😂

On 3/13/2019 at 1:31 AM, nitad3 said:

Thank you so much, that is so helpful! If I have any questions, I'll definitely drop you a message, if you don't mind. 

I've researched it a bit myself, and it really does seem like a fantastic service. It's definitely a big bonus for me to be able to visit my pup during the day! 

The 7 day journey seems a little daunting but it's also the only option for me and my 10 year old pup! And I love the picture of your dog, such a good sport 😂

Of course, happy to help 🙃.

Re only options - I wouldn’t necessarily rule out fly, if you’re just basing on age...

Gunner is 14 now and has a heart murmur - but it’s because of the heart murmur that we’re not flying - he flew to California and back aged 12 and was absolutely fine.

Because he hates being crated, I’d prefer to fly and get it over in one go - rather than having 7 nights kennelled (though they are out during the daytime) and then 7 days of driving after that - but it just isn’t an option anymore!

Appreciate there may be other reasons why your dog can’t fly - but if it is just age, I’d definitely recommend checking in with your vet, to see what they think (they’ll need to certify him as safe to sail or fly). X

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.