Jump to content
peanutismint

I-864a - How important are 'most recent three years' tax return numbers??

9 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Filing an I-864a in addition to the the i-864 as my wife doesn't make enough money to sponsor me by herself. We have her dad's most recent tax return documents which show that he earned way above the threshold required to joint-sponsor me, but we can't easily procure the returns for the previous 3 years' that the form also asks for.

 

Are the 'most recent three years' as important as the most recent year, or will they only be required if we get an RFE? I think to get the past 3 years' tax return info we'd need to go through all the usual bureaucracy associated with the IRS and take even more time and we're really trying to expedite what will undoubtedly already be a lengthy process waiting for an EAD etc.... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, peanutismint said:

Filing an I-864a in addition to the the i-864 as my wife doesn't make enough money to sponsor me by herself. We have her dad's most recent tax return documents which show that he earned way above the threshold required to joint-sponsor me, but we can't easily procure the returns for the previous 3 years' that the form also asks for.

 

Are the 'most recent three years' as important as the most recent year, or will they only be required if we get an RFE? I think to get the past 3 years' tax return info we'd need to go through all the usual bureaucracy associated with the IRS and take even more time and we're really trying to expedite what will undoubtedly already be a lengthy process waiting for an EAD etc.... 

Read page 5 Questions 23 through 25 of the actual I864 carefully. 

Only the most recent year's actual tax forms are required. Three years tax forms are optional. You WILL need to know what the income was for the most recent three years and input that in Question 24 but you dont need to submit those forms.

Do you not have access to the previous returns? Have you tried ordering transcripts? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks; yes I'm aware that only the most recent year's FORMS are required, we have those. It's the previous year's returns info (like ANY of the numbers) that we don't have to hand. We could order transcripts but I can only assume this will take a while and we want to get moving on this ASAP as every day I can't work here we're kinda bleeding out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, peanutismint said:

Thanks; yes I'm aware that only the most recent year's FORMS are required, we have those. It's the previous year's returns info (like ANY of the numbers) that we don't have to hand. We could order transcripts but I can only assume this will take a while and we want to get moving on this ASAP as every day I can't work here we're kinda bleeding out. 

Wont take long. 

You can download them instantly here if you login. 

Or you can request them to be sent to you by mail which takes maybe a week.

 

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

 

Or you can make an appointment at an IRS office. 

You need those numbers. You cannot be a sponsor of you havent filed taxes within the three most previous if you were required to file taxes. Leaving those questions blank will get you an RFE for sure and will delay the EAD and AP to until your RFE is satisfied.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks all; will get them to try the online. Only issue is, her parents are older and not hugely web-savvy or likely to have an online account set up; will probs need tonnes of ID verification etc... but I guess if we need it then we need it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, peanutismint said:

Thanks all; will get them to try the online. Only issue is, her parents are older and not hugely web-savvy or likely to have an online account set up; will probs need tonnes of ID verification etc... but I guess if we need it then we need it. 

If you do the "mail" option you only need SSNs, full names, DOBs and the address listed on the most recent tax return.

Click on the link i posted though. It will tell you what you need for each option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, peanutismint said:

Thanks; yes I'm aware that only the most recent year's FORMS are required, we have those. It's the previous year's returns info (like ANY of the numbers) that we don't have to hand. We could order transcripts but I can only assume this will take a while and we want to get moving on this ASAP as every day I can't work here we're kinda bleeding out. 

My wife has done transcripts by mailing the form, online print your own, by faxing the form to receive by mail, and even calling  and the lady faxed them to her immediately (because we have a fax machine which they probably don't.)  Our mail ones have always arrived in days. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×