Sign in to follow this  
pumpkinseed

Groups/associations/clubs/parties affiliations

9 posts in this topic

What should I list in the group affiliations question? So far i have one academic honor society listed (not that I'm active within it but I am technically a member since I joined while in college).

Should I list memberships to parks, museums, zoos? I have a few of those.

Probably over-thinking this but just want to be thorough. Either way I think about it, my list seems either too inclusive or too short.

Thanks everyone!

**Removal of conditions**

10/01/2014 Package sent to California Service Center

10/03/2014 NOA1

10/10/2014 Received Biometrics Appointment Letter, Biometrics scheduled for 10/30/14

10/22/2014 Early Biometrics Walk-in - Cleveland, OH - weird experience with the clerk there - told me I can go ahead and get my biometrics taken early, but it might be too early and it might not go through??? If it might be a problem, then why let me do it at all?

02/10/2015 New Biometrics letter received, Biometrics scheduled for 03/09/15- I guess that clerk was right??

03/09/2015 Second biometrics

..waiting..

5/15/2015 Put in a service request online - outside of processing time

5/18/2015 Approved!

5/23/2015 Card in hand

12 minutes ago, pumpkinseed said:

What should I list in the group affiliations question? So far i have one academic honor society listed (not that I'm active within it but I am technically a member since I joined while in college).

Probably over-thinking this but just want to be thorough. Either way I think about it, my list seems either too inclusive or too short.

Thanks everyone!

What they are really interested in here is to see if you are affiliated to any groups/assoc/parties that are hostile to US... They don't care about any Credit Union, museum, zoo memberships! Just say "No" and move on...

Edited by love_my_wife

3 minutes ago, love_my_wife said:

What they are really interested in here are to see if you are affiliated to any groups/assoc/parties that are hostile to US... They don't care about any Credit Union, museum, zoo memberships! Just say "No" and move on...

I absolutely agree that they won't care but also I don't want it to seem like I'm omitting something, if that makes sense?

I'll skip the museum memberships but should I still list the academic honor society?

Thanks again for taking the time to reply!!!

10/03/2014 NOA1

10/10/2014 Received Biometrics Appointment Letter, Biometrics scheduled for 10/30/14

10/22/2014 Early Biometrics Walk-in - Cleveland, OH - weird experience with the clerk there - told me I can go ahead and get my biometrics taken early, but it might be too early and it might not go through??? If it might be a problem, then why let me do it at all?

02/10/2015 New Biometrics letter received, Biometrics scheduled for 03/09/15- I guess that clerk was right??

..waiting..

5/18/2015 Approved!

5/23/2015 Card in hand

1 minute ago, pumpkinseed said:

I absolutely agree that they won't care but also I don't want it to seem like I'm omitting something, if that makes sense?

I'll skip the museum memberships but should I still list the academic honor society?

Just google/bing the question and you will see extensive discussion on this...

I went and listed a whole bunch, including a category of "various store clubs" on the basis that they wanted to know about them, and saying more than was needed was better than not enough.  IO briefly looked at them and then ignored the entire category, and said something along the lines of simply looking to see if there was anything that was "odd" there...

In other words, it doesn't hurt to list all that you can think of; I'm sure I might have missed some in any case...

20 minutes ago, jkstark said:

I went and listed a whole bunch, including a category of "various store clubs" on the basis that they wanted to know about them, and saying more than was needed was better than not enough.  IO briefly looked at them and then ignored the entire category, and said something along the lines of simply looking to see if there was anything that was "odd" there...

In other words, it doesn't hurt to list all that you can think of; I'm sure I might have missed some in any case...

I'm not really a "joiner" so thankfully I didn't have that many to list. Sports clubs and the volunteer agency that I'm part of is about it. 

I asked a friend who is an attorney and he said basically that they're looking for anything overtly political or potentially dangerous. So folks who play sports or have a lot of social memberships aren't an issue, people that are members of 5 different gun clubs and 3 different political groups may warrant extra questions.

18 hours ago, pumpkinseed said:

No, you do not need to list these groups at all. 

On 2/18/2019 at 12:30 PM, pumpkinseed said:

Thanks everyone!

I pondered about this quite a bit myself and just thought of it as organizations that might somehow come up during some sort of background check, so I figured mostly anything that might have an SSN linked to it. The only thing that came to my mind for myself was my state's nursing board. Definitely don't think they are looking for zoos, Costco, etc. This wasn't even discussed during my interview but then again every case is different.

Thank you all for your replies. I ended up listing only one organization, and it was an academic honor society which I joined in grad school.

Edited by pumpkinseed
Typo

10/03/2014 NOA1

..waiting..

5/18/2015 Approved!

5/23/2015 Card in hand

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.