Jump to content

10 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

I need some help! I am about to submit my husbands paperwork for his Adjustment of Status, as it is going on 2 months of him being here tomorrow (02/14) - I know that the fee for this process is 1140.00, and then an 85 bio-metrics fee. I also have seen people send in the I-765 (Employment Authorization Form) but noticed on the website that is a 410 fee. I have talked to a few people who sent in the form in with the adjustment of status but did not add the fee to the total payment they sent in. Some advised that the adjustment of status includes the work permit.

 

Can anyone tell me how this works. Do I send in the form with his adjustment of status and only pay for the status change and bio-metrics, or should I be sending in the fee for the employment authorization. 

The other question I have is if the employment authorization is processed allowing my husband to legally work in the US while his paperwork is being processed? I have tried looking online but could not get a clear answer, so figured no better way than personal experience from people who have done this process. 

 

Any and all help is greatly appreciated

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You have to file the I-765 for an EAD. Filing for AOS alone is not enough.

Once you have a green card (AOS is approved), then the EAD becomes obsolete as the green card is also evidence of work authorization.

File an I-131 for AP as welll.

 

No fee for EAD or AP. Read the I-485 instructions (around page 16 IIRC?).

 

No, you cannot work until the EAD is approved. You need the EAD as evidence of your work authorization for an I-9 with the employer anyway.


Timelines:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago

9/27/17: received by USCIS

10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received

10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received

10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update)

1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed

1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received

1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice

10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice

10/25/18: Formal approval

10/31/18: Green card received

 

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/17: sent

12/14/17: NOA1 hard copy received

3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification)

3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved!

3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

 

NVC

4/6/2017: Received

4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy

4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy

4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

 

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, SJ_Ulloa said:

I need some help! I am about to submit my husbands paperwork for his Adjustment of Status, as it is going on 2 months of him being here tomorrow (02/14) - I know that the fee for this process is 1140.00, and then an 85 bio-metrics fee. I also have seen people send in the I-765 (Employment Authorization Form) but noticed on the website that is a 410 fee. I have talked to a few people who sent in the form in with the adjustment of status but did not add the fee to the total payment they sent in. Some advised that the adjustment of status includes the work permit.

 

Can anyone tell me how this works. Do I send in the form with his adjustment of status and only pay for the status change and bio-metrics, or should I be sending in the fee for the employment authorization. 

The other question I have is if the employment authorization is processed allowing my husband to legally work in the US while his paperwork is being processed? I have tried looking online but could not get a clear answer, so figured no better way than personal experience from people who have done this process. 

 

Any and all help is greatly appreciated

 

 

 

Like above. Once you file for AOS , the I-485, you include the EAD and AP documentation with supporting evidence as needed for free with the total $1225 cost for AOS and biometrics.

 

EAD/AP combo is probably about 4-6 months processing time right now, so until he receives it he cannot work. 


08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

 

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

 

   

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, geowrian said:

You have to file the I-765 for an EAD. Filing for AOS alone is not enough.

Once you have a green card (AOS is approved), then the EAD becomes obsolete as the green card is also evidence of work authorization.

File an I-131 for AP as welll.

 

No fee for EAD or AP. Read the I-485 instructions (around page 16 IIRC?).

 

No, you cannot work until the EAD is approved. You need the EAD as evidence of your work authorization for an I-9 with the employer anyway.

Thank you very much - 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ben&Zian said:

 

Like above. Once you file for AOS , the I-485, you include the EAD and AP documentation with supporting evidence as needed for free with the total $1225 cost for AOS and biometrics.

 

EAD/AP combo is probably about 4-6 months processing time right now, so until he receives it he cannot work. 

great- thank you! I just want to make sure that I submit the exact amount necessary so there is no back and forth 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, USS_Voyager said:

The I-765 (Employment Authorization) and I-131 (Advanced Parole-Travel document) are free when you file them together with the I-485. He cannot work until the I-765 is approved. 

great - thank you so much 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ben&Zian said:

 

Like above. Once you file for AOS , the I-485, you include the EAD and AP documentation with supporting evidence as needed for free with the total $1225 cost for AOS and biometrics.

 

EAD/AP combo is probably about 4-6 months processing time right now, so until he receives it he cannot work. 

Question...what is good evidence for AP document? Because i do see the form asks for travel dates...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No evidence is needed for the I-131 (AP), and if you do not have any specific travel plan for now you can leave it blank

17 hours ago, MsNina said:

Question...what is good evidence for AP document? Because i do see the form asks for travel dates...

 

Edited by Nouchigang

01/08/2018: Priority Date

01/19/2018: Checks cashed

01/22/2018: 3 NOA's received in Mail (I-130, I-485 and I-765)

02/09/201: Received Biometrics Appointment Letter scheduled for 02/22

02/10/2018: Email notification of RFIE :(

02/12/2018: Early walk-in for Biometrics, successful

02/16/2018: RFIE received for birth certificate and translation, sent back the same day

02/20/2018: RFIE response delivered, sent via Fedex

02/23/2018: Case status updated to RFIE response received

03/05/2018: Courtesy letter for I-693, medical exam received, letter dated Feb 28th

03/08/2018: AP application delivered by Fedex

03/19/2018: NOA for AP received in the mailbox

05/03/2018: AP ONLY approved (Approved in 56 days)

05/11/2018: AP received in Mail

05/21/2018: Email received,EAD card in production (Day 133)

05/22/2018: Interview scheduled

05/25/2018: EAD approval letter received in Mail

05/29/2018: EAD card and letter for interview (Jun.26th) both received in Mail, Woot woot :)

06/26/2018: Interview completed, now waiting for the magical email/letter...

10/30/2018: Went to Infopass, officer has not made a decision yet, an email was sent to him tell him I came to inquire

03/26/2019: Moved so updated our address online with USCIS

04/16/2019: I-130 petition approved

04/20/2019: approval notice received in the mail

04/22/2019: received notification of RFE for AOS I-485

06/01/2019: RFE finally received after being lost in the mail, asking for a new medical exam

06/06/2019: Response to RFE sent, received the next day 06/07/2019

06/17/2019: Received notification of another RFE, 3rd time will be the charm hopefully

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×
×
  • Create New...