JWaiver_2019

2019 J1 WAIVER TIMELINE - New Applicants

2,060 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, BorquMic said:

Hello, 

How long does usually takes to get receipt from USCIS when you get favorable Recommendation from DOS. I got favorable Recommendation on my case but it doesn’t shows the date it was sent. 

602C6C85-3C26-4508-8E9E-7D7DEB05F28E.jpeg

Usually received within U.S in 1-3 weeks after DOS recommendation. After 30 days, you can call USCIS and request for NOA receipt number.

15 hours ago, NJP said:

Can any one tell the procedure for j1 waiver? Its urgent

Please follow instructions available at https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/study/exchange/waiver-of-the-exchange-visitor/how-to-apply-waiver.html

5 hours ago, NJP said:

Thank you..... what is the best mode to apply J1 waiver ? (A)  consult attorney for applying J1 waiver (B) myself

Mostly people do it themselves since it is very straight forward process (No Objection cases) and very clear instructions are available on DOS website. If government funding is involved then you will have to do some extra work. It is important you read and gather enough information from this forum to make your case stronger, what I did and experience from others helped me a lot.

There are hundreds of suggestions available in this forum, so do research, gather documents, assess your situation and start the process. Read the first post of this thread too.

This is just an advice from an applicant like you.

I wanted to ask about the USCIS response times. 
I received my favorable recommendation on April 12. I tried calling USCIS twice to check on the I612 status and they cannot seem to find anything regarding my case. 
1. I have this doubt in mind: we were supposed to put with the application 2 self-addressed case right? so I should expect one of these envelopes back from USCIS? because both those envelopes are addressed to me.

2. Is this a normal timeline? Like it's been 2 weeks and USCIS still didn't receive it? 

14 minutes ago, jadh said:

I received my favorable recommendation on April 12. I tried calling USCIS twice to check on the I612 status and they cannot seem to find anything regarding my case. 
1. I have this doubt in mind: we were supposed to put with the application 2 self-addressed case right? so I should expect one of these envelopes back from USCIS? because both those envelopes are addressed to me.

2. Is this a normal timeline? Like it's been 2 weeks and USCIS still didn't receive it?

I hope you get the letter soon. I am copying experience of one of applicant here (copied from page 7 or 8 - Filippi's post) and this may give you some idea only:

I called them 3 times to get the case number, so yes, you may need some luck to reach the right person there. I asked specifically for the case number related to an I-612 filled by Department of State. I tried first in 10 days after DOS sent the favorable recommendation and they said they could not find my name there. I tried again in the next day, same thing, and finally I was successful 2 days later. Hope this helps.

By the way, I received notice of action with the approval yesterday (04/09), yay!, I didn't receive any letter from DOS and neither the notice of action from USCIS for receiving the case.

No, USCIS doesn't use one of our self addressed envelops.

16 minutes ago, jadh said:

I have the same situation as you. Got favorable recommendation on April 9 and when I call USCIS they say they don’t have my case... also didn’t get the favorable recommendation from DoS on my mail. I emailed DoS asking what happened but they obviously don’t reply. My case seems to be lost in between DoS and USCIS. Never thought the american govt was so inefficient.. very frustrating! Please share any news about your case! Did you get the letter from DoS?

2 minutes ago, JWaiver_2019 said:

I hope you get the letter soon. I am copying experience of one of applicant here (copied from page 7 or 8 - Filippi's post) and this may give you some idea only:

I called them 3 times to get the case number, so yes, you may need some luck to reach the right person there. I asked specifically for the case number related to an I-612 filled by Department of State. I tried first in 10 days after DOS sent the favorable recommendation and they said they could not find my name there. I tried again in the next day, same thing, and finally I was successful 2 days later. Hope this helps.

By the way, I received notice of action with the approval yesterday (04/09), yay!, I didn't receive any letter from DOS and neither the notice of action from USCIS for receiving the case.

No, USCIS doesn't use one of our self addressed envelops.

Sweet, thank you. The reason I am asking about the envelopes: I'm afraid I messed up. Was I supposed to send 2 envelopes to DoS? One addressed to me and another addressed to USCIS? 

1 minute ago, LuizaT said:

I have the same situation as you. Got favorable recommendation on April 9 and when I call USCIS they say they don’t have my case... also didn’t get the favorable recommendation from DoS on my mail. I emailed DoS asking what happened but they obviously don’t reply. My case seems to be lost in between DoS and USCIS. Never thought the american govt was so inefficient.. very frustrating! Please share any news about your case! Did you get the letter from DoS?

I did. I did receive the letter from the DoS. But I'm afraid I messed the self-signed envelopes maybe? 
What is USCIS telling you? 

Just now, jadh said:

Sweet, thank you. The reason I am asking about the envelopes: I'm afraid I messed up. Was I supposed to send 2 envelopes to DoS? One addressed to me and another addressed to USCIS? 

No, you did right if followed DOS instructions. USCIS use their own envelop. So no need to worry about envelops, look forward for NOA and hope you get it soon.

Just now, jadh said:

I did. I did receive the letter from the DoS. But I'm afraid I messed the self-signed envelopes maybe? 
What is USCIS telling you? 

USCIS just said the only record they have of me there is from 2017 from when I applied to the J. Nothing on the waiver. The envelopes were supposed to be addressed to you. One of them is the one you got the letter with the favorable recommendation, no? so you didn’t messed up!

Just now, LuizaT said:

USCIS just said the only record they have of me there is from 2017 from when I applied to the J. Nothing on the waiver. The envelopes were supposed to be addressed to you. One of them is the one you got the letter with the favorable recommendation, no? so you didn’t messed up!

At this stage, there's no other option than keep trying to call USCIS every other day. Let me know if you get any update. 

11 hours ago, MimPH said:

Hello everyone!

I got my favorable recommendation from the Department of State last March 20th but haven't received NOA from USCIS yet up to this time. Does anyone have the same timeline and haven't heard anything from the USCIS yet?

Thank you in advance.

Hi MimPH,

Can you please share your USCIS service center dealing with case? Mine is Vermont SC.

I am in a similar situation and here is list of my actions:

- Called USCIS to get the NOA number last month - No success on multiple attempts. Every time they say they have no idea about this type of case or request. I referred customer care to https://www.uscis.gov/i-612 and asked to read 'Where to File' category and then they got some idea. But useless since they were not able to find me in the system.

- After 30 days, I was able to submit 'case inquiry' with USCIS yesterday (DOS recommendation was updated on March 26) and USCIS requested to wait for 15-30 days for further investigation on my request and response.

If it has been more than 30 days, I think it is better for you to start requesting for case inquiry. This is the only way I can see since we have no case number in absence of NOA receipt. 

Please share your experience, if others have got or not received USCIS or whatever is a status.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.