JWaiver_2019

2019 J1 WAIVER TIMELINE - New Applicants

2,060 posts in this topic

Do not estimate any thing based on last year's timeline that put new applicants in panic situation this year: 

This year timelines are comparatively different than last year such as 'documents received' status update time increased from 20 days to 6-7 weeks this year as per recent posts in different threads. So I am summarizing all posts' conclusion here to give new applicants better experience update from new members recently submitted applications to prepare their application packet and send it using efficient mechanism and don't face panicking situation that many of us have faced due to recent shutdown and increased timelines (not related to shutdown). So here is my opinion and timeline based on personal experience and observations in this forum:

My timeline:

Application packet was sent to DOS by USPS Priority Mail:                            December 26th 2018

Packet received (USPS confirmed by email due to issues with tracking):    December 28th 2018

Embassy received J1Waiver NOC from home country:                                    January 21st 2019

Embassy sent NOS by mail:                                                                                  January 21st 2019

Embassy confirmed that documents received by DOS (tracking):                 January 23rd 2019

DOS updated status – Documents received:                                                     February 11th 2019

More updates to come as received ……..

Issue I have faced using USPS postal services:

• USPS tracking is still showing “Schedule Re-delivery” for tracking number provided for my application packet, whereas upon investigations (based on my request from USPS customer services that involved days of communication), USPS has already sent me email (mid of January 2019) confirming that my packet was delivered on December 28th 2018 but post office scanned other packet for my tracking by mistake. So my advises are below to avoid some of such situations and other experienced in this forum:

Lessons learned for future applicants:

• Sending your application packet: Use courier service Fedex or UPS with guaranteed delivery service + tracking
  • Sending Application Fee: Send Cashier’s Check so you could track if it has been cashed easily (please note USPS money order tracking is not easy and takes minimum 30 days with fee. If you have to use money order, then consider Money Gram etc with possibility to track when it is cashed).
  • Contacting DOS by email before documents received status update: I sent around 8 emails to DOS email address to get status if they have received my package since there was issue with USPS tracking after waiting for 20 days as per past timeline experience but have not received a single response for any email.
  • Contacting DOS by phone before documents received status update: They cannot help with this issue since it is handled by different unit and they can only help after receiving documents (based on one phone call discussion).
  • Wait time for documents received status update: According to recent experience shared by applicants on this forum, it is tacking between 4-7 weeks to get status update from date of delivery of documents. So no need to check last year’s timeline for such estimates that may lead to panic situation. For NOS status update, it is taking another
  • My personal advice: Try to send documents with guaranteed courier service and cashier’s check to avoid all issues some of us are facing. Check with courier and bank if mail has been delivered and check has been cashed then sit back on chair and check status once a week (ideally weekends) if you can wait.

These are my personal opinions based on experience and nothing is official so take you own decision based on our experience using your own wisdom.

Please keep all posted with your status updates.

Waiver tracking.jpg

1 hour ago, USS_Voyager said:

Yes, staffing levels are being decreased in administrative processing areas in favor of an increase in enforcement areas which of course is the focus of this administration.

Yes, makes sense to me!

• 2 weeks later...

There is an update on DOS website for new applicants. Keep these timings in mind before planning and applying for J1 waiver.

Change in No Objection timeline from '6-8 weeks' to '12 to 1 weeks', almost doubled.

Source: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/study/exchange/waiver-of-the-exchange-visitor/how-to-apply-waiver.html

Process.jpg

8 hours ago, JWaiver_2019 said:

There is an update on DOS website for new applicants. Keep these timings in mind before planning and applying for J1 waiver.

Change in No Objection timeline from '6-8 weeks' to '12 to 1 weeks', almost doubled.

Source: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/study/exchange/waiver-of-the-exchange-visitor/how-to-apply-waiver.html

Process.jpg

This is bad news for everyone. I wonder if applications made before this change are still expected to be processed within the previous estimates.

Aside from the new processing times, it seems that DoS is also taking much longer to update the initial case information in the website. In my case it took about a month from the time they received the package and the time they updated the website.

Dear All,

I am continuously checking status using the case number on my J1 waiver application and there is no information till date.

However, I have another case number, which I received during the advisory opinion for subject to 212e. Today, when I have checked my status using the old case number noticed that my J1 waiver application status has already been updated in due time (on 18th Dec 2018).

Now I am confused about the case number. Does anyone have faced similar situation?

10 hours ago, JMohapatra said:

Dear All,

I am continuously checking status using the case number on my J1 waiver application and there is no information till date.

However, I have another case number, which I received during the advisory opinion for subject to 212e. Today, when I have checked my status using the old case number noticed that my J1 waiver application status has already been updated in due time (on 18th Dec 2018).

Now I am confused about the case number. Does anyone have faced similar situation?

This is weird! 

Logically, you may need to stick to the old case number that is showing all status updates for your application not the one that you generated later. May be DOS figured your original case number and linked to application packet? My opinion, not sure.

You must write to J1waiver division by email explaining situation and get it sorted out so you could stick to one case number. DOS encourage to use one case ID with all applications/requests but still it is not late and you can try both calling them and writing an email to get it resolved. This is my opinion, if I was in your place what I would have done.

16 hours ago, Filipi said:

This is bad news for everyone. I wonder if applications made before this change are still expected to be processed within the previous estimates.

Aside from the new processing times, it seems that DoS is also taking much longer to update the initial case information in the website. In my case it took about a month from the time they received the package and the time they updated the website.

I think it is a problem with ongoing backlog and decreased staff handling both backlog and new applications.

Qoute from the following website (involving all categories not only J-waiver):

• Compare to Yr.2016, this was a 100% increase net backlogs of overall delayed cases.
  • Based off of a comparison of the data published by USCIS in Yr. 2014 and Yr. 2018, the average case processing time has gone up by 91% now.

Check this for more information: https://www.path2usa.com/blog/uscis-processing-times-dismal-numbers

I hope it doesn't affect old applications but we should keep ourselves updated for the next steps.

Delayed-Processing-times-2.jpg

New update in my timeline!

My timeline:

Application packet was sent to DOS by USPS Priority Mail:                            December 26th 2018

Packet received (USPS confirmed by email due to issues with tracking):    December 28th 2018

Embassy received J1Waiver NOC from home country:                                    January 21st 2019

Embassy sent NOS by mail:                                                                                  January 21st 2019

Embassy confirmed that documents received by DOS (tracking):                 January 23rd 2019

DOS updated status – Documents received:                                                     February 11th 2019

No Objection Statement received:                                                                        February 20th 2019

More updates to come as received ……..

DOS Timeline update.jpg

1 minute ago, MimPH said:

Im waiting for the NOS status. 😑

Got it and I strongly believe it should be updated by next week anytime. Mine took exactly 4 weeks but it took 5 days for DOS to update the system. It shows Feb 20 in my timeline but I got online status change after few days.

It was stressing for me too after 4 weeks but I called embassy to check and confirmed delivery status by checking mail tracking information. I am not sure if you can get this confirmation from Embassy since it convinced me to wait little more before sending email to DOS after waiting for 4 weeks.

With the new 2019 estimates on processing time for J1 no objection, I thought I will post the timeline for my application. Note that I started my application during shutdown, and some delays in status updates could be because of it.

1) Sent documents to DoS using USPS -- Dec 24th, 2018

2) Documents received at St. Louis, MO on Dec 27th, 2018 as per USPS tracking.

3) Cheque cashed on 3rd Jan, 2019 as I found out from my bank.

4) Status finally updated in DoS webpage on Jan 22nd, 2019. 

5) NOC received by DoS on Jan 24th, 2019.  But I received a copy of the letter from my embassy on Jan 7th, 2019.

6) Favorable recommendation on Mar 7th, 2019

So it took about 6 weeks from DoS receiving NOC, and about 10 weeks from when I sent the documents.

Edited by Jai1

Hi everyone

Me too applied for J1 waiver under no objection category and I wanted to share my status so far....

I sent the DS 3035 application package on Jan 31st 2019 through USPS priority mail and the package got delivered on Feb 3 2019.

I also sent the package to houston embassy on Jan 30th through fedex and it got delivered on 1st Feb 2019 and i picked up the package (copy of the NOS forwarded to DC embassy) from local fedex location on 7th Feb 2019

I got the copy of NOC statement forwarded to DOS from DC embassy on 15th February 2019 

My status was updated (documents received ) in DOS website on 15th february 2019

I am aware of the new processing timings, but Im worried whether DOS missed my NOC and I badly need this waiver as soon as possible as I wanted to take break and change to H4 visa and move to my husband place, as me and my husband are living separately.

Still waiting for the NOS received update in DOS website😩 . Anybody in my situation and sharing the same timeline with me? Thoughts and updates on your case are  appreciated. Thanks!Picture1.jpg.7b217be4bf902ad4bb10784d576a8f6f.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.