Bear_and_Bunny

From the US to the UK and Back Again

10 posts in this topic

Hi,

This site looks great.  I have taken a look around trying to get some understanding on what we need to do, but seem to be coming up blank.  It seems the more I look around on various sites, the more confused I get!

Anyway, I am a British Citizen and live in the UK, my wife is an American Citizen and also lives in the UK with me, she arrived on a fiancée visa and is now on the spousal (the one where we have to reapply again in 2.5 years...ILR?).  But we now want to move to Alabama.  I think we need the I-130, but the part that confuses us is the affidavit of support.  Do we require one? As https://uk.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/16/USCIS_20181019_i130_Checklist_for_Spouse.pdf doesn't mention it at all?  Or do we not need it when we apply but at a later date?  My wife has no assets in the US, just family, and we are looking to save circa $20,000 before we move..  Any ideas on what we would need to do for our situation would be amazing and greatly appreciated.  

Thank you.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Hungary
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Bear_and_Bunny said:

Hi,

This site looks great.  I have taken a look around trying to get some understanding on what we need to do, but seem to be coming up blank.  It seems the more I look around on various sites, the more confused I get!

Anyway, I am a British Citizen and live in the UK, my wife is an American Citizen and also lives in the UK with me, she arrived on a fiancée visa and is now on the spousal (the one where we have to reapply again in 2.5 years...ILR?).  But we now want to move to Alabama.  I think we need the I-130, but the part that confuses us is the affidavit of support.  Do we require one? As https://uk.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/16/USCIS_20181019_i130_Checklist_for_Spouse.pdf doesn't mention it at all?  Or do we not need it when we apply but at a later date?  My wife has no assets in the US, just family, and we are looking to save circa $20,000 before we move..  Any ideas on what we would need to do for our situation would be amazing and greatly appreciated.  

Thank you.

Yes, you require one. If she can't meet the income/assets level then you need a joint sponsor. The joint sponsor needs to have income over 125% of the Federal Poverty Level for his or her household size PLUS ONE (you, the intending immigrant).

Once that's sorted, look into DCF (filing I-130 directly with the Embassy in London) as it's a much quicker process.

Entry on VWP to visit then-boyfriend 06/13/2011

Married 06/24/2011

Our first son was born 10/31/2012, our daughter was born 06/30/2014, our second son was born 06/20/2017

AOS Timeline

AOS package mailed 09/06/2011 (Chicago Lockbox)

AOS package signed for by R Mercado 09/07/2011

Priority date for I-485&I-130 09/08/2011

Biometrics done 10/03/2011

Interview letter received 11/18/2011

INTERVIEW DATE!!!! 12/20/2011

Approval e-mail 12/21/2011

Card production e-mail 12/27/2011

GREEN CARD ARRIVED 12/31/2011

Resident since 12/21/2011

ROC Timeline

ROC package mailed to VSC 11/22/2013

NOA1 date 11/26/2013

Biometrics date 12/26/2013

Transfer notice to CSC 03/14/2014

Change of address 03/27/2014

Card production ordered 04/30/2014

10-YEAR GREEN CARD ARRIVED 05/06/2014

N-400 Timeline

N-400 package mailed 09/30/2014

N-400 package delivered 10/01/2014

NOA1 date 10/20/2014

Biometrics date 11/14/2014

Early walk-in biometrics 11/12/2014

In-line for interview 11/23/2014

Interview letter 03/18/2015

Interview date 04/17/2015 ("Decision cannot yet be made.")

In-line for oath scheduling 05/04/2015

Oath ceremony letter dated 05/11/2015

Oath ceremony 06/02/2015

I am a United States citizen!

3 minutes ago, EM_Vandaveer said:

Yes, you require one. If she can't meet the income/assets level then you need a joint sponsor. The joint sponsor needs to have income over 125% of the Federal Poverty Level for his or her household size PLUS ONE (you, the intending immigrant).

Once that's sorted, look into DCF (filing I-130 directly with the Embassy in London) as it's a much quicker process.

Thank you so much for the quick response.  We have been so confused over this bit as some pages on the Embassy website and USCIS site mentioned it but others didn't.  Thank you again and for the advice. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
20 minutes ago, Bear_and_Bunny said:

Hi,

Thank you.

First of all, you get a shortcut when you are ready to apply for the spouse visa to the US. Because your American wife lives in the UK, you may use the USCIS office in London for the petition (I-130). That saves you many months off using the USCIS in the states. Here's where you start. Bookmark it. https://uk.usembassy.gov/embassy-consulates/government-agencies/dhs/uscis/i130filing-html/?_ga=2.167208190.1346449588.1549891792-1641113824.1489155735

The process is referred to as DCF (Direct Consular Filing).

First Step is your wife files a petition I-130 to bring you to America. That step does not require an affidavit of support, hence your confusion. As said, you send that to the USCIS office in London. The petition is approved and sent to the Immigrant Visa Unit at the embassy in London which issues visas.

Second Step is you apply for your spouse visa (form DS-260), have a medical exam, and interview for the visa. That is where the affidavit of support comes in. For a family of 2, the required income is around $20k. Your savings is not the same as ongoing income from a job. Without an income, she would require 3 times the required amount in assets (about $60k). Or she can have her father in the US be a joint sponsor if he makes enough to cover the number in his household plus you. 

Edited by Wuozopo

13 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

First of all, you get a shortcut when you are ready to apply for the spouse visa to the US. Because your American wife lives in the UK, you may use the USCIS office in London for the petition (I-130). That saves you many months off using the USCIS in the states. Here's where you start. Bookmark it. https://uk.usembassy.gov/embassy-consulates/government-agencies/dhs/uscis/i130filing-html/?_ga=2.167208190.1346449588.1549891792-1641113824.1489155735

The process is referred to as DCF (Direct Consular Filing).

First Step is your wife files a petition I-130 to bring you to America. That step does not require an affidavit of support, hence your confusion. As said, you send that to the USCIS office in London. The petition is approved and sent to the Immigrant Visa Unit at the embassy in London which issues visas.

Second Step is you apply for your spouse visa (form DS-260), have a medical exam, and interview for the visa. That is where the affidavit of support comes in. For a family of 2, the required income is around $20k. Your savings is not the same as ongoing income from a job. Without an income, she would require 3 times the required amount in assets (about $60k). Or she can have her father in the US be a joint sponsor if he makes enough to cover the number in his household plus you. 

Thank you so much.  That is really helpful.  We will have to look at the finances side of things, but at least we have more of an idea now.  

Uk to Alabama?  Well thats a difference in culture.  LOL!

I also recommend DCF.  Your wife can move ahead of you at any time after filing the I-130 btw.  There will be a little bit of intent to reestablish domicile but London isn't particularly picky.  

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline
53 minutes ago, Bear_and_Bunny said:

Thank you so much.  That is really helpful.  We will have to look at the finances side of things, but at least we have more of an idea now.  

Here's a PDF that I just noticed  that gives an overview of your DCF through London. The embassy also refers to it as "consular processing".  

https://uk.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/16/USCIS_20180102_Three_Part_Immigrant_Visa_process.pdf

While browsing these forums and seeing references to processes at the NVC (National Visa Center), note that you totally skip the NVC so none of that discussion applies to you. That's another reason why your process will be much shorter.

Edited by Wuozopo

37 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

Here's a PDF that I just noticed  that gives an overview of your DCF through London. The embassy also refers to it as "consular processing".  

https://uk.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/16/USCIS_20180102_Three_Part_Immigrant_Visa_process.pdf

While browsing these forums and seeing references to processes at the NVC (National Visa Center), note that you totally skip the NVC so none of that discussion applies to you. That's another reason why your process will be much shorter.

That's awesome, thank you.  On that PDF (which is super helpful by the way) where would the affidavit part be?  Is that part 2?

53 minutes ago, NikLR said:

Uk to Alabama?  Well thats a difference in culture.  LOL!

I also recommend DCF.  Your wife can move ahead of you at any time after filing the I-130 btw.  There will be a little bit of intent to reestablish domicile but London isn't particularly picky.  

lol, yeah it will be.  That's where she is from and I love it when we visit so I'm looking forward to it! 

Thank you for the tips.  They are genuinely appreciated. 

Timeline
12 minutes ago, Bear_and_Bunny said:

That's awesome, thank you.  On that PDF (which is super helpful by the way) where would the affidavit part be?  Is that part 2?

Yes like I said in my previous post for part 2. That pdf just added your final step of entering the US.with your visa.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.