NDP22

Can I Travel to Puerto Rico?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Norway
Timeline

Hi,

I am going to be getting married in April to my fiance who is from Norway via the K1 visa, and I was curious if we would be able to travel to Puerto Rico for our Honeymoon? I talked with a man I know that works in immigration and he said it shouldn't be a problem but I wanted to make sure of this and get others opinions on it. Since it's a US territory, it shouldn't be an issue, but I really don't know. I was curious if anyone else has done this or what. And I'm sorry if I've placed it in the wrong place. Wasn't real sure where to place it.

Any opinions or answers would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
1 minute ago, NDP22 said:

Hi,

I am going to be getting married in April to my fiance who is from Norway via the K1 visa, and I was curious if we would be able to travel to Puerto Rico for our Honeymoon? I talked with a man I know that works in immigration and he said it shouldn't be a problem but I wanted to make sure of this and get others opinions on it. Since it's a US territory, it shouldn't be an issue, but I really don't know. I was curious if anyone else has done this or what. And I'm sorry if I've placed it in the wrong place. Wasn't real sure where to place it.

Thanks!

Yes you can it's actually a domestic flight because they r usa territory so u wont have no issues once u have the required travel docs 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Readysetgo1 said:

Yes you can it's actually a domestic flight because they r usa territory so u wont have no issues once u have the required travel docs 

Thanks for the answer! What travel documents would be needed?

Timeline
2 minutes ago, NDP22 said:

Thanks for the answer! What travel documents would be needed?

I know for residents and citizens u need a drivers licence or Id card because I dont think the federal ID (real and enhanced)  come into effect yet since all states don't have them yet, for your wife who wont have any of those she needs her passport, to board that's all they dont accept out of country Identification no more 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I actually am from Puerto Rico and will be taking my fiancee there once our visa is approved. Yes, you only need a valid state id. That's it. They do not have to go through customs when they come in. Nor present passport.

Timeline
15 minutes ago, Angel&Angie said:

I actually am from Puerto Rico and will be taking my fiancee there once our visa is approved. Yes, you only need a valid state id. That's it. They do not have to go through customs when they come in. Nor present passport.

So my fiance will need her passport to go through and that's all?

Timeline
1 hour ago, Readysetgo1 said:

I know for residents and citizens u need a drivers licence or Id card because I dont think the federal ID (real and enhanced)  come into effect yet since all states don't have them yet, for your wife who wont have any of those she needs her passport, to board that's all they dont accept out of country Identification no more 

Okay, so the passport will be sufficient for her? No other documents will be needed?

Timeline
3 minutes ago, NDP22 said:

Okay, so the passport will be sufficient for her? No other documents will be needed?

Yes passport us good for travel TSA

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
On 2/5/2019 at 8:49 AM, NDP22 said:

Hi,

Thanks!

Oh I really hope this is true!!! I would love to do PR for my honeymoon too.

HOWEVER, I have read that NO, you cannot. Yes, it is a U.S territory...but if for some crazy reason your plane has to detour or land in another country for emergency, you are pretty screwed. People always say that will never happen and what not, but I wouldn’t play with those chances after everything you have been through with your K1 process. And if for whatever reason they give you a hard time which I have read on here that it has happened before...Urgh just the thought of something crazy happening during this already insane process!! :(

Also, I think if your flight is direct TO PR without stop in another country you are fine!

Anyway.... I hope this is true!!! Maybe call a lawyer on this one? Rather be safe than really sorry later.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to Working and Traveling, from K1 P&P - The OP is asking about traveling after entry on the K1~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.