C-Sweden

Some questions CR-1 visa (any Swedes?)

5 posts in this topic

Timeline

Hi, 

So we we finally got married a week ago and it’s soon time to send in the paperwork  for the CR-1 visa. I know that most of my questions has been answered in different places here in the forum, but just wanted to have the most updated replies. 

Since we are newly married I’m pretty sure that we need some more evidence. We are living in a Ireland (I’m Swedish and my husband is The US citizen). We got married in Sweden.

1. Is the “registerutdrag” enough to send (stamped) from the Swedish tax authority? We don’t have a marriage certificate in Sweden and I’ve seen that a few received a RFE on this part.

2. I’ve changed my last name to my husbands family name. I will receive a letter from the Swedish tax office when it’s registered. Should I send a copy with the visa application? I will get a new passport, but not until beginning of April and we want to start the process now since we’re planning to move ASAP (well.. in a or so year:)).  Should I use my new last name in the I-130 since this is my legal name when filing but my passport is still using the old name? 

3. We’re living in Ireland, but my husband may move to the US in September and then I’m going to live in Sweden with my parents in the meanwhile (I don’t wanna stay in a Ireland by myself). When we come to that stage, can I finish the visa process in Sweden at the embassy in Stockholm instead of the one in Ireland? 

This is the Bona Fide evidence (not including the mandatory copies that we need to send) we’re planning to send: 

- We live together and will send a copy of the lease and the utility bill with both our names on. I’m also on his bank account and health insurance.

- 4 letter of support (from family stating that we are in a Bona Fide marriage)

- some photos and copies of flight tickets for trips made together with light information.

Are we missing anything that’s important? 

Thank you! 

Married: 01/26/2019

I130 NOA1 (PD): 02/20/2019 (Nebraska)

K3 NOA1 (PD): 05/29/2019 

I-130 NOA2: 07/18/2019

*waiting for NVC case number*

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline

1)Unfortunately we don't have experience with non-US marriage certificate proof since we got married in the US, but from what I've seen I think you need a "personbevis", I would look more into it though but this should be some help possibly? https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/675782-nvc-stage-swedish-birthmarriage-certificate-the-same/

2) Your marriage proof should be enough for name change, but I would say you might as well send the letter from the tax office as well (translated version and original of course) just to be sure.

3) You should be able to, just put on your application that your embassy of choice is Stockholm and explain in a signed letter that you will be moving back to Sweden.

4) From what it sounds like, you have enough evidence, financial proof is very strong and that combined with the other proof you should be good

Our CR1 Journey:

USCIS Stage:

• Feb 14 2019: NOA1 (NSC)
  • July 31 2019: I129f NOA1
  • Sep 19 2019: I129f NOA2 (Denied - 50 days from NOA1)
  • Sep 19 2019: I130 NOA2 (Approved - 217 days from NOA1)

NVC Stage:

• Sep 27 2019: Sent to Department of State
  • Oct 31 2019: Case number received (34 days since sent)
  • Nov 1 2019: IV & AOS fees received & paid
  • Nov 14 2019: IV & AOS submitted
  • Dec 18 2019: All docs accepted, but one additional doc requested (5 weeks from submission)
  • Dec 18 2019: Requested doc submitted
  • Feb 19 2020: Documentarily Qualified (9 weeks from 2nd submission, 14 weeks from first submission)

Interview Stage:

• Mar 11 2020: Interview letter received
  • Apr 1 2020: Interview date
  • Mar 17 2020: Interview cancelled due to COVID-19
  • August 3 2020: Rescheduled letter received, new appointment August 25 2020
  • August 25 2020: Visa approved at interview! (558 days from NOA1)
  • September 10 2020: Embassy received passport in mail
  • September 15 2020: Passport with visa in hand

October 11 2020: Arrived in US!

Timeline
2 hours ago, LilyJohansen said:

1)Unfortunately we don't have experience with non-US marriage certificate proof since we got married in the US, but from what I've seen I think you need a "personbevis", I would look more into it though but this should be some help possibly? https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/675782-nvc-stage-swedish-birthmarriage-certificate-the-same/

2) Your marriage proof should be enough for name change, but I would say you might as well send the letter from the tax office as well (translated version and original of course) just to be sure.

3) You should be able to, just put on your application that your embassy of choice is Stockholm and explain in a signed letter that you will be moving back to Sweden.

4) From what it sounds like, you have enough evidence, financial proof is very strong and that combined with the other proof you should be good

Hi, thanks for the feedback! It feels like we have a “strong case” even if we are newly weds (since we’re living together). Hopefully the papers from the tax office will be clear and enough. 

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
13 hours ago, C-Sweden said:

Should I send a copy with the visa application?

That won't be necessary to send with the petitioner that your US Citizen spouse files or with the visa application that you will submit at a later date.

Should I use my new last name in the I-130 since this is my legal name when filing but my passport is still using the old name? 

Yes

When we come to that stage, can I finish the visa process in Sweden at the embassy in Stockholm instead of the one in Ireland? 

Yes

4 letter of support (from family stating that we are in a Bona Fide marriage)

These carry little to zero weight in the overall evaluation of a file (and are not required to begin with).  Focus on evidence of time spent together in-person, that is your strongest evidence.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Timeline
7 hours ago, Ryan H said:

That won't be necessary to send with the petitioner that your US Citizen spouse files or with the visa application that you will submit at a later date.

Yes

Yes

These carry little to zero weight in the overall evaluation of a file (and are not required to begin with).  Focus on evidence of time spent together in-person, that is your strongest evidence.

Hi,

thanks! I know that the letters are pretty low rated as evidence, but we thought that we could send them anyway since we had the opportunity to visit each other’s families pretty much during our relationship and since they live so far away from both us and themselves.

just starting the long wait now....:) 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.