Raxeerr

NVC Stage: Swedish Birth/Marriage Certificate the same?

7 posts in this topic

Hi,

We're collecting all the Swedish documents to send in for our CR-1 visa at the NVC stage. We need to upload both a birth certificate for the beneficiary and a marriage certificate. However, looking at the Sweden specific website for documents (found here) it looks like they are the same document i.e. "Extract of the population register (“Personbevis”)". Do I just upload the same pdf document twice then? We really want to avoid an RFE so I want to make sure we're not missing anything...

Thanks.

Edited by Raxeerr

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

You are not missing anything.  You are reading from the correct source.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Hey, nice to meet you! and how cool! I am also applying from Sweden, and in the same stage as you. I submitted that document twice in English, and also the Swedish version as a Additional document as in the Petition phase they wanted me to have the Swedish "translation" too... as they said the English wasn't enough?! Pretty annoying. I also made a comment/note about it in the comments section explaining that Sweden doesn't have Birth or Marriage Certificates. :)
Good luck!! 

8 minutes ago, spacetofu said:

Hey, nice to meet you! and how cool! I am also applying from Sweden, and in the same stage as you. I submitted that document twice in English, and also the Swedish version as a Additional document as in the Petition phase they wanted me to have the Swedish "translation" too... as they said the English wasn't enough?! Pretty annoying. I also made a comment/note about it in the comments section explaining that Sweden doesn't have Birth or Marriage Certificates. :)
Good luck!! 

Hi spacetofu,

Very cool indeed! Hope you get approved quickly.

That's very strange that they wanted the Swedish version too. We only sent the English version "for use with foreign embassies" birth certificate with our I-130 and it worked fine. However for "marriage certificate" we sent a copy of our original marriage licence (the one you get a few days after the ceremony).

I think I'll do like you did and attach the "personbevis" twice but also attach the marriage licence as an additional document just to be safe.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
26 minutes ago, Raxeerr said:

Hi spacetofu,

Very cool indeed! Hope you get approved quickly.

That's very strange that they wanted the Swedish version too. We only sent the English version "for use with foreign embassies" birth certificate with our I-130 and it worked fine. However for "marriage certificate" we sent a copy of our original marriage licence (the one you get a few days after the ceremony).

I think I'll do like you did and attach the "personbevis" twice but also attach the marriage licence as an additional document just to be safe.

Ohhh, were you guys married in Sweden? What marriage certificate did you get after yall were married? We got a "vigselbevis" but they said that wasn't really proof. Definitely submitting more documents than needed which can help your case is good in any case lol. Good luck to yall too! Looks like we both applied around the same time. :)
I am not sure why they wanted the Swedish version, they sent us a "request for evidence" for the Swedish version even though it was the long personbevis with the stamp and signature in English... I am guessing it was that specific person looking at our case who didn't understand the document was 100% ok to be in english.... So now I just submitted the Swedish one anyway just in case. 

54 minutes ago, spacetofu said:

Ohhh, were you guys married in Sweden? What marriage certificate did you get after yall were married? We got a "vigselbevis" but they said that wasn't really proof. Definitely submitting more documents than needed which can help your case is good in any case lol. Good luck to yall too! Looks like we both applied around the same time. :)
I am not sure why they wanted the Swedish version, they sent us a "request for evidence" for the Swedish version even though it was the long personbevis with the stamp and signature in English... I am guessing it was that specific person looking at our case who didn't understand the document was 100% ok to be in english.... So now I just submitted the Swedish one anyway just in case. 

No, but we got married in another western European country. Then we sent that marriage license to Skatteverket and they registered us as married in Sweden where we live. The "personbevis" clearly says we're married and we have the marriage license from the ceremony with the official stamps etc as well. As you say it's probably best to do the same as we did with the I130 and send some extra stuff just in case!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Please note that although sometimes a marriage certificate and marriage license appear on the same page of a document, there is a difference between the two.  One is a license....TO....GET....married and the other is a certificate that you....ARE.....MARRIED.  Regardless of the country of marriage, USCIS and the Consular Immigrant Visa Unit need the marriage certificate in both the language of original issue AND in English.  Consulates may or may not need the English translation, but USCIS definitely does, so it's already in the file when the Consulate sees it.

If a required document is originally issued in another language besides English, they need both, not just the translation.  Be sure not only that you send both, if applicable, but that you send the correct document.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.