10 posts in this topic

Good morning, I have a AOS interview coming up  next month. I am not working 6 months now just had a baby almost two months, so I don’t have much evidence. My marriage is real so far we filed tax together, joint checking account  of course we have a child together but that’s about it . my name is not on the lease cause my husband and his mother pays the rent and all the bills is split between both of them too  what can I do?? Do you think am going to have problem because I don’t have a whole heap a evidence??

What evidence did you submit originally? What additional evidence do you have now? Any photos from places you've gone together & things you've done together, or family gatherings? Beneficiary on any accounts (retirement, insurances, etc.)?

How long have you been together?

Is the joint account actually used jointly (i.e. it's not just an account in both your names but only 1 person primarily uses it)?

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Have your mother-in-law write an affidavit that you are living with her as a married couple, contribute to bills, etc.

Congrats on your baby---Do you have shared health insurance?  That's also another piece of evidence.

Edited by Going through

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

So you gave birth with no insurance? Ouch...that likely was a hefty bill.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
18 minutes ago, geowrian said:

So you gave birth with no insurance? Ouch...that likely was a hefty bill.

My bank account shuddered. My bill was $47k. I'm guessing OP has other insurance of some sort? I hope anyway. 

26 minutes ago, BOGLE 1983 said:

No we dont. My husband get his insurance from his work but it’s way too expensive to add me & the baby.

Do you have a cell phone? Do you personally have any bills with your name, in your address? Do you have any memberships of any sort, like Costco or something, with both of you on it as a household? Amazon Prime account? 

The fact that you both use your joint account is really not that bad already. We personally don't have a lease or a mortgage, and my name is not on the deed to the house. A lot of our bills weren't joint either, but we have different bills with one name or another, all to the same address. This caused no issues.

If you're short on "bills" sort of evidence and don't feel like your joint account paints a complete enough picture, you could just get crative. I don't know how much the IO would care for frilly things like memberships or newspaper subscriptions (maybe not at all), but at least it would show some effort. 

You could show the joint bank account, an affidavit from your spouse's mother that you live together, your child's birth certificate, copies of the bills your spouse pays, copy of the bills your mother in law pays (this to show that the full picture is that the bills are paid fairly by all those residing in the home, where you're taking care of the baby and not currently working, which is fair to you all), any bills in your name including things like your cell phone which may be paid by your husband but shows your address together. Then anything that proves you also live there with them. Vacations, memberships, etc. Obviously joint taxes and pictures. 

I think you'll be fine. It's not like your situation makes no sense. You're not working and you just had a baby, so what are you going to pay bills with? 

2015-11-23: Last TN received at CBP

2017-06-12: Married

2018-06-25: Mailed I-485, I-864, I-130/I-130A, and I-765 to USCIS

2018-07-24: Biometrics appointment

2018-08-28: Expedite request submitted for EAD via USCIS support line

2018-09-21: EAD and SSN received in the mail

2018-10-31: Interview is scheduled

2018-11-21: Last TN expired

2018-12-11: AOS Interview - Card is being produced

2018-12-18: Green Card received

------------------

2020-09-23: Mailed I-751 to USCIS

2020-10-03: 18-month extension NOA 

2020-10-15: Biometrics from AOS applied to ROC

2020-12-11: Conditional green card expired 

2021-05-17: Card is being produced

2021-05-24: Green Card received

------------------

2021-09-14: Online application for N-400

2022-05-04: Interview is scheduled

2022-06-13: N-400 Interview

2022-06-13: Immediate oath & naturalization certificate!

On 2/4/2019 at 1:29 AM, BOGLE 1983 said:

Good morning, I have a AOS interview coming up  next month. I am not working 6 months now just had a baby almost two months, so I don’t have much evidence. My marriage is real so far we filed tax together, joint checking account  of course we have a child together but that’s about it . my name is not on the lease cause my husband and his mother pays the rent and all the bills is split between both of them too  what can I do?? Do you think am going to have problem because I don’t have a whole heap a evidence??

Several things come to mind:

I would ask the landlord if they can add you as an occupant. That may be an option. You do not have to be employed to be on the lease, either. Just ask.

Some ideas for you:

1. You may submit a notarized affidavit of residence stating where you live and how long you have lived there. Here is an example. https://www.wikihow.com/Write-a-Letter-for-Proof-of-Residence

2. An Advanced Health Care Directive. No one is too young for one AND USCIS takes this document very seriously. You can find an example specific to your state's laws here http://www.caringinfo.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=3289 I highly recommend getting this document. In the event that -God forbid- anything ever happens to you and you are not able to make medical/end-of-life decisions for yourself, you want to make sure that your loved ones know exactly what your wishes are. I am not going to sugarcoat it. It is a morbid conversation to have but it is worth doing - not just for USCIS.

3. Emergency Contact Information. Your husband likely has you listed as his emergency contact at work. Print that page. If you have him listed as your Emergency Contact anywhere, with your physician for example, print that. 

4. Beneficiary of Life insurance/401K. If your husband has life insurance and/or 401K, he should list you as his beneficiary. Print the beneficiary page.

5. Your Child's birth certificate. Your husband's name should be on it. That is evidence.

6. Any bills related to raising your child (food/doctor visits/anything).

7. Notarized Financial Power of attorney.

Here is an example 

LIMITED POWER OF ATTORNEY

Date: ____________________ 

Principal: I, ___________________________________
Name of principal

hereby name and appoint:
Attorney-in-fact: ______________________________________
Name of Attorney-in-fact
to be my Agent (attorney-in-fact) to act for me in any lawful way with respect to the following initialed subjects:

INITIAL 
______ (A) Manage Real estate
1. The powers of the Attorney include, but are not limited to, at public or private sale, the right to buy, sell, convey, bargain, assign, grant, transfer, lease and grant options or amend or modify any leases or options, on any and all real property owned by me now or in the future, including my homestead. Also, my Attorney may exchange, borrow against or mortgage any real property owned by me. Also, my Attorney may obtain liability, property damage, theft, flood, and any other type insurance. 
2. Execute and deliver deeds, transfers, mortgages, charges, leases, assignments, surrenders, releases and other instruments required for any such purpose.
______(B) Banking transactions
1. To do any act that I can do through an agent with a bank or other financial institutions. This power includes, but is not limited to, the power to:
2. Open, maintain, close bank accounts (including, but not limited to, checking accounts, saving accounts, certificates of deposit), brokerage accounts, retirement plan accounts, and other similar accounts with financial institutions;
3. Conduct any business with any banking or financial institution with respect to any of my accounts, including but not limited to , making deposits and withdrawals, negotiating or endorsing any checks or other instruments, with respect to any such account, obtaining bank statements, money orders, warrants and certificates and vouchers payable to me by any person, firm, corporation or political entity;
________ (C) Retirement benefit transactions
1. To act for me and represent my interests in all matters affecting my retirement savings or pension plan I may have. This power includes, but is not limited to, the power to continue contributions, change contributions amounts, change investment strategies and options, move assets to other plans, receive and manage payouts. My agent cannot add himself as a beneficiary unless he is already a designated beneficiary as of the signing of this document.

Right to Compensation. My Agent will receive no compensation except for the reimbursement of all out of pocket expenses associated with the carrying of my wishes. 
REVOCATION - The Principal has the right to revoke this Limited Power of Attorney Form at any time.
I am fully informed as to all the contents of this form and understand the full import of this grant of powers to my Agent. 

Signed this _______ day of _______________, 20____

______________________________ ______________________________
Signature of first witness Signature of second witness

STATE OF FLORIDA COUNTY OF _________ 

The foregoing instrument was acknowledged before me this ____ day of __________ of 20____, by ____________________________________________________________ _______________ 
who is personally known to me or who produced ______________________________________ as identification and who did not take an oath. 

Edited by USC4SPOUSE
typo

I-751 Joint Filing.

06-15-2021 - Case was updated to show fingerprints were taken. 

05-26-2021 - Received NOA/extension letter. Notice date and postmarked 05-20-2021.

05-23-2021 - Received text message with Receipt #. YSC Potomac Center.

05-21-2021 - Checks cashed (processing on joint checking account)

05-07-2021 - I-751 received in Arizona.

Marriage-based AOS - Concurrent filing.

05-07-2019 - AOS Approved. Resident since date 05/07/2019.

05-06-2019 - AOS Interview

04-23-2018 - "Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview"

03-16-2018 - Priority Date.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.