downupstair66

Change of Address Question (NOA Sent to OLD Address)

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

The NOA we received, reminding us to submit form i-751, was sent to our OLD address.  This has me worried.  We changed our address online using form AR-11 in July 2018 (just 5 days after moving).  We received an email notice from USCIS that confirms it was submitted properly - that email has our new address listed plus a unique AR-11 #.  Today, I read that we should have received something in the mail about our address change but we never did.  I thought the email was confirmation confirmed all was good.  So, in our i-751 submission, I included the email we received from USCIS, showing that it was submitted in July with an explanation that our NOA was mistakenly sent to our old address.

Should I be worried?  Is there a chance somehow our address change was never actually confirmed?  I filled out the form online correctly - we moved after my wife received her conditional green card so there was no case pending at the time.  Anyone else ever have this same issue?  Thanks for any help or answers.

Chris

Edited by downupstair66

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

For some reason most ROC reminders are being sent to the old address. 

I wouldnt worry to much about it but if you are nervous you can always call and confirm they have your new address. 

(Remember both of you have to submit address change not only the immigrant) 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

We changed our address during the 129f/K-1 stage and got a confirmation and all. But a few months later our NOA2 still ended up at our old address.

So yes, unfortunately there is a reason to worry. Because of my own experience I wouldn't take any chances whatsoever. I would at least call to make sure they had my correct address on file. 

We see cases every now and then here on VJ where people missed out on important letters from USCIS because their addresses weren't registered properly with USCIS, despite address changes and confirmations. Worst case scenario you miss out on an RFE or interview and get denied. 

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
3 hours ago, Georgia16 said:

(Remember both of you have to submit address change not only the immigrant) 

Good thing to mention, seems like many don't know about that. The primary sponsor definitely needs to report their new address, but are co-sponsors and joint sponsors required to make an address change as well, Georgia? 

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline
5 hours ago, Scandi said:

Good thing to mention, seems like many don't know about that. The primary sponsor definitely needs to report their new address, but are co-sponsors and joint sponsors required to make an address change as well, Georgia? 

Yes, anyone who filed out the I-864 are required to change address with USCIS. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
19 hours ago, downupstair66 said:

The NOA we received, reminding us to submit form i-751, was sent to our OLD address.  This has me worried.  We changed our address online using form AR-11 in July 2018 (just 5 days after moving).  We received an email notice from USCIS that confirms it was submitted properly - that email has our new address listed plus a unique AR-11 #.  Today, I read that we should have received something in the mail about our address change but we never did.  I thought the email was confirmation confirmed all was good.  So, in our i-751 submission, I included the email we received from USCIS, showing that it was submitted in July with an explanation that our NOA was mistakenly sent to our old address.

Should I be worried?  Is there a chance somehow our address change was never actually confirmed?  I filled out the form online correctly - we moved after my wife received her conditional green card so there was no case pending at the time.  Anyone else ever have this same issue?  Thanks for any help or answers.

Chris

The 751 reminder is sent to the address on file for the previous application, regardless of any AR-11. At least that's what I've heard from USCIS and experiences of people I know (and myself).

They actually sent my green card to the wrong address after I submitted a bunch of AR-11s, changed the address at InfoPass and called USCIS. Seems you can never be too thorough.

They sent us three reminders for the I-751. The first two were sent to our old address, the last was sent to the new one. The only reason I know they sent it three times, is that they attached both prior envelopes with return to sender on them with the reminder to file the I-751. We also did the address change online, I think after the first two notices being sent back, they pulled the file and saw the new address. I don't believe most people are as lucky though.

Everything else relating to the actual I-751 application has been sent to the right address.

Edited by Ash.1101

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.