Sarah G

Another criminal record question - UK beneficiary

13 posts in this topic

So. 

About six years ago I got drunk and used a friend's debit card to pay for an eBay purchase to the amount of £25. 

The friend reported me to the police and a couple of weeks later an officer called me. By then I had repaid the friend the money I took. 

The officer arranged to meet me in my home and we did a process called 'Street restorative justice'. This required me to admit I had done what my friend had complained about, which I did immediately. It also required me to repay the money, which I had already done. 

I was not arrested, charged, cautioned, nor warned. The officer informed me that this process would remain on my internal record with the police as evidence to my character, should I do something similar again in the future - which I haven't. He told me it would not show on background checks, only as an internal record. 

I have had an enhanced DBS check in order to perform my job as a carer, which came back entirely clean. 

Now that I am going through this process I contacted the police force involved (as not all forces use this system) and asked if it is likely to appear on my ACRO certificate. They said they didn't know. 

Does anyone have any experience with this? If it is on my ACRO is it likely to prevent me being granted the CR1?

I am planning to order my ACRO next month just to see what is on it, to give me a chance to plan if it is on there. Then I'll order another once we receive NOA2 so that it will be less than six months old at interview. 

As always, thank you. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

If your police certificate says No Trace, there is no record.

If it says No Live Trace, order a Subject Access Report from ACRO to reveal any hidden or expunged charges.

The embassy website says the police certificate is valid for 12 months. https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/family-immigration/required-documents/

If you have resided in the United Kingdom for 6 months or more since the age of 16, you are required to obtain a police certificate from the ACPO Criminal Records Office (ACRO).  Further information is available from their website at www.acro.police.uk.

Note: The police certificate must list all names and aliases by which you have ever been known, e.g. maiden name, alternative spellings of names used on legal documents etc. UK police certificates are valid for 12 months only.  Failure to present all necessary and valid police certificates at the time of the interview will incur significant delays to your application.  If your UK police certificate indicates “No Live Trace,”  or “Further  Information  Stepped Down” you are required to provide complete details of the offense(s) and disposition. If you do not recall the specific details, consider obtaining a Subject Access Report so that you can provide the Consular Officer with accurate information on the day of your interview. To obtain a Subject Access Report, visit http://www.acro.police.uk/subject_access.aspx.

~~moved to UK regional forum from IR1/CR1 process and procedures.  Topic is about Uk police report~~

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

2 hours ago, Sarah G said:

So. 

About six years ago I got drunk and used a friend's debit card to pay for an eBay purchase to the amount of £25. 

The friend reported me to the police and a couple of weeks later an officer called me. By then I had repaid the friend the money I took. 

The officer arranged to meet me in my home and we did a process called 'Street restorative justice'. This required me to admit I had done what my friend had complained about, which I did immediately. It also required me to repay the money, which I had already done. 

I was not arrested, charged, cautioned, nor warned. The officer informed me that this process would remain on my internal record with the police as evidence to my character, should I do something similar again in the future - which I haven't. He told me it would not show on background checks, only as an internal record. 

I have had an enhanced DBS check in order to perform my job as a carer, which came back entirely clean. 

Now that I am going through this process I contacted the police force involved (as not all forces use this system) and asked if it is likely to appear on my ACRO certificate. They said they didn't know. 

Does anyone have any experience with this? If it is on my ACRO is it likely to prevent me being granted the CR1?

I am planning to order my ACRO next month just to see what is on it, to give me a chance to plan if it is on there. Then I'll order another once we receive NOA2 so that it will be less than six months old at interview. 

As always, thank you. 

Hey, 

I young and dumb. 17 (10/11 years ago) and got caught urinating in the street, I ran away, not quick enough. I got a Fixed Penalty Notice for "behaviour likely to cause distress/concern or intimidating behaviour".

I was stressing and fretting for weeks and weeks if this was going to show up on my record check and cause us issues.

When I ordered my ACRO (they say 10 working days, it came much quicker) with "No Trace" written on it, all clear. Worried for nothing really. 

When you order your ACRO also order your SAR (Subject Access Request), this was free for me (rumored somewhere it costs £10 but), they say it can take up to a month to arrive but mine came in 1.5 weeks. 

The police force will not be able to tell you if it will be included on your ACRO, I also called ACRO to ask if it would and they're unable to also, so it is a little waiting game. 

The post I raised here has a little more info regarding what the offence is classed as within your SAR:

It's so minimal and pretty informal way to deal with it really doing the Street Restorative Justice so I would edge my bets on being "No Trace". 

Summary:

Filed I129f: 06/09/2018

NOA2 dated: 11/29/2018

NVC Case #: Fianceé (USC) Called and received it: 01/08/2019

Case Shipped: 01/08/2019

Case Received: 01/15/2019

Medical: 02/08/2019

Interview: 03/11/2019 - Approved

Visa In Hand: 03/15/2019

US Entry: 05/11/2019 - DTW

Marriage: 06/22/2019

Filed AOS/EAD/AP: 08/02/2019

NOA1: 08/09/2019

RFE: 09/29/2019

Biometrics: 09/30/2019

Interview Letter Received: 11/02/2019

Interview Date: 12/09/2019

AOS Approval Date: 01/04/2020 (Assuming - that's the valid date on my card)

Green Card Received: 01/08/2020

12 minutes ago, LukeU said:

Hey, 

I young and dumb. 17 (10/11 years ago) and got caught urinating in the street, I ran away, not quick enough. I got a Fixed Penalty Notice for "behaviour likely to cause distress/concern or intimidating behaviour".

I was stressing and fretting for weeks and weeks if this was going to show up on my record check and cause us issues.

When I ordered my ACRO (they say 10 working days, it came much quicker) with "No Trace" written on it, all clear. Worried for nothing really. 

When you order your ACRO also order your SAR (Subject Access Request), this was free for me (rumored somewhere it costs £10 but), they say it can take up to a month to arrive but mine came in 1.5 weeks. 

The police force will not be able to tell you if it will be included on your ACRO, I also called ACRO to ask if it would and they're unable to also, so it is a little waiting game. 

The post I raised here has a little more info regarding what the offence is classed as within your SAR:

It's so minimal and pretty informal way to deal with it really doing the Street Restorative Justice so I would edge my bets on being "No Trace". 

Thank you for this. I really appreciate it.

I felt that the whole thing was really informal, the officer I dealt with was very nice and really reassuring that this wasn't going to be a black stain on my record. But in this process little marks can suddenly appear like black stains!! I'll order the ACRO and SAR at the same time and see what comes up. Fingers crossed it will be clear! And if not, it is a very minor incident that I think I can explain to a CO (hopefully) to their satisfaction. 

For some reason I had in my head that UK required ACRO within last 6 months but if it is 12 then great. Thank you! @Wuozopo

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I guess no one has a perfect living record for making mistakes. We are all humans after all. If in any doubt, ordering an ACRO certificate is the way to go. 'No trace' = your golden!! Moreover, people don't always get denied even with having 'No live trace'. 

Have you ordered an ACRO? They are valid for 12 months :) 

2 minutes ago, jakejon said:

I guess no one has a perfect living record for making mistakes. We are all humans after all. If in any doubt, ordering an ACRO certificate is the way to go. 'No trace' = your golden!! Moreover, people don't always get denied even with having 'No live trace'. 

Have you ordered an ACRO? They are valid for 12 months :) 

Thank you. It was such a dumb thing to do, and it cost me an awful lot in the way of friendships and a competition in which I was participating at the time as my former friends demanded my disqualification after this event. The whole thing was a mess. I would hate to think my stupidity then could affect this now! 

I haven't ordered ACRO yet, we only filed this month so I haven't been in any real hurry but I intend to order it when I get paid to hopefully put my mind at ease. I may need to get another later on anyway as I expect to still be waiting for my visa in a year's time anyway. 

Timeline

It's so easy to overthink when your waiting for NOA2. We have all made mistakes. Does no harm to order an ACRO to put your mind at ease then another if you like closer to your interview date! Be kind to yourself and don't beat yourself up! ❤️ 

1 minute ago, jakejon said:

It's so easy to overthink when your waiting for NOA2. We have all made mistakes. Does no harm to order an ACRO to put your mind at ease then another if you like closer to your interview date! Be kind to yourself and don't beat yourself up! ❤️ 

Thank you. This process gives me so much anxiety!! Like everyone else, I want to be with the person I love and the idea of that not happening just plays on my mind. I know I am overthinking eeeeeverything. Trying not to! Thank you again 😊

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Sarah G said:

Thank you. This process gives me so much anxiety!! Like everyone else, I want to be with the person I love and the idea of that not happening just plays on my mind. I know I am overthinking eeeeeverything. Trying not to! Thank you again 😊

Oh I remember that process of overthinking too much during the whole wait for NOA2 and then preparing all documents for interview. I near fainted before my interview at the pressure. Goodness Jake had to tell me to zip it as I always spoke of immigration lol. I always believe that love wins in the end which I guess some people may find corny in saying so! I have every faith you will be successful :) 

Edited by jakejon

6 minutes ago, jakejon said:

Oh I remember that process of overthinking too much during the whole wait for NOA2 and then preparing all documents for interview. I near fainted before my interview at the pressure. Goodness Jake had to tell me to zip it as I always spoke of immigration lol. I always believe that love wins in the end! I have every faith you will be successful :) 

I think you and I are the same person 😂😂 

3 hours ago, Sarah G said:

Thank you for this. I really appreciate it.

I felt that the whole thing was really informal, the officer I dealt with was very nice and really reassuring that this wasn't going to be a black stain on my record. But in this process little marks can suddenly appear like black stains!! I'll order the ACRO and SAR at the same time and see what comes up. Fingers crossed it will be clear! And if not, it is a very minor incident that I think I can explain to a CO (hopefully) to their satisfaction. 

For some reason I had in my head that UK required ACRO within last 6 months but if it is 12 then great. Thank you! @Wuozopo

Always definitely worthwhile. Personally I think you'll be absolutely fine and you'll be able to explain it, should it show up on your ACRO. Although I think your friend was a ilttle overly harsh for reporting it to the police! £25 on ebay, I can think of worse things my friends have done to one another some in jest, some for the response! 

Summary:

Filed I129f: 06/09/2018

NOA2 dated: 11/29/2018

NVC Case #: Fianceé (USC) Called and received it: 01/08/2019

Case Shipped: 01/08/2019

Case Received: 01/15/2019

Medical: 02/08/2019

Interview: 03/11/2019 - Approved

Visa In Hand: 03/15/2019

US Entry: 05/11/2019 - DTW

Marriage: 06/22/2019

Filed AOS/EAD/AP: 08/02/2019

NOA1: 08/09/2019

RFE: 09/29/2019

Biometrics: 09/30/2019

Interview Letter Received: 11/02/2019

Interview Date: 12/09/2019

AOS Approval Date: 01/04/2020 (Assuming - that's the valid date on my card)

Green Card Received: 01/08/2020

24 minutes ago, LukeU said:

Always definitely worthwhile. Personally I think you'll be absolutely fine and you'll be able to explain it, should it show up on your ACRO. Although I think your friend was a ilttle overly harsh for reporting it to the police! £25 on ebay, I can think of worse things my friends have done to one another some in jest, some for the response! 

I'm inclined to agree. And tbh I think the police officer thought so too. I'll post again when I have my ACRO and SAR and say whether it was on there. 😊 Thank you again 💙 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.