fascinating123

Question on N400 about travel history

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Yemen
Timeline

My wife is getting ready to file for naturalization, but we're a little stumped on the travel history section. My wife first came to the US on a Diplomatic A visa in 2004, which was adjusted to F1 student visa in 2009. In 2010 she returned to Yemen and stayed there until July 2015. Since then she has not ever left the country. She became a resident in April 2016 and she is filing on the 3 year rule.

The way we filled it out, we said she had one trip outside the US, beginning in 2010 ending in 2015. Total days for that trip and then the total days in the past 5 years (even though we are filing on the basis of 3 years). Underneath she wrote that she has not been outside the US since becoming a permanent resident.

Is this the right way to go? Any experience here?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

She only needs to go back 3 years if marriage based.  So if she did not leave the country in the past 3 years, no need to expand on it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Yemen
Timeline
47 minutes ago, USS_Voyager said:

They only care about the trips she took since she became a permanent resident. It you filed based on the 3 year rule, then it's 3 years. Ignore any trips before becoming LPR.

Ok. I think my wife had watched a few informational videos online (I think put out by USCIS) and was worried they'd ask her about trips outside the US and she didn't want to make it look like she was hiding anything. Thanks for your help.

2 hours ago, fascinating123 said:

Ok. I think my wife had watched a few informational videos online (I think put out by USCIS) and was worried they'd ask her about trips outside the US and she didn't want to make it look like she was hiding anything. Thanks for your help.

I applied for N400 online on Jan 2nd, under 3 year marriage rule. I put trips I have had since I became LPR. I was a flight attendant and now imagine if I put all my trips before that going into 5 years😂 

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, love_my_wife said:

You can apply for naturalization if you are married to a US citizen continuously for 3 years. So if u became a PR in 2016 and were married to a US citizen since then, u become eligible to apply this year!

When you apply, when do you actually interview for it though?  For we stick with your example, because a PR in Jan 2016 and still married to the same US Citizen spouse and the applicant applied in Jan 2019, how long until they interview?

I read more on this subject and after checking out the USCIS requirements, I am kind of confused.  Here are 3 out of the 9 requirements:

• Have continuous residence in the United States as a lawful permanent resident for at least 3 years immediately preceding the date of filing the application
  • Reside continuously within the United States from the date of application for naturalization until the time of naturalization
  • Be physically present in the United States for at least 18 months out of the 3 years immediately preceding the date of filing the application

The first bullet point says that the applicant has to stay in the USA for at least 3 years CONTINUOUSLY.  However the third bullet point says the applicant has to be physically in the USA 18 months out of the 3 years.  Is the applicant required to be in the USA 18 months out of the 3 years or need to stay in the USA for 3 years continuously?

• 1 year later...

I know it's an old post but to answer @DILAW 's question: bullet point 1 concerns the residence, point 3 the physical presence. meaning only the main living spot has to be here, you are allowed to leave for half of that time to maintain residence, but will need advance parole if it is more than 1 year continous physical absence from the US

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.