Cara&Jack

Send documents before RFE??

22 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
5 minutes ago, geowrian said:

It's not their job to look anything up that is required to be submitted. The onus is always on the one seeking the benefit to show that they qualify for it.

There's no harm in sending something before an RFE. But myself and numerous others have been unsuccessful for an I-129F to do so. Unlike AOS where you are dealing with NBC and field offices, service centers tend to be a different beast in matching up documents.

Yes, I understand it's not their job to look it up, I only meant that if submitting a court stamped page along with a certificate of divorce isn't enough or they still doubt it, it's public record. In regards to sending additional information like the whole judgment of divorce, are you saying you still got an RFE after sending it to the USCIS?

Timeline
19 hours ago, Cara&Jack said:

Pooley, I've seen that the NOA2 typically is 2-3 weeks after you send the RFE docs.  Worse come worse it delays the process by that much time.  Since we're going to wait for 6 months, couple of weeks won't make much of a difference in the long run.

I guess that's not too bad of wait. Here's to hoping that they won't send and RFE. Thank you!

6 minutes ago, Pooley said:

Yes, I understand it's not their job to look it up, I only meant that if submitting a court stamped page along with a certificate of divorce isn't enough or they still doubt it, it's public record. In regards to sending additional information like the whole judgment of divorce, are you saying you still got an RFE after sending it to the USCIS?

My case's RFE was for evidence that OK Cupid is not an IMB, not a divorce record. Usually OKC was not questioned, but we recently started seeing a lot of people getting RFEs for that reason with OKC, so we wanted to be prepared.

We sent that evidence + a letter to CSC before we got an RFE. About 2 months later we got an RFE for it anyway. We re-sent the evidence as-is and the petition was approved days after receipt of the response was acknowledged.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
2 minutes ago, geowrian said:

My case's RFE was for evidence that OK Cupid is not an IMB, not a divorce record. Usually OKC was not questioned, but we recently started seeing a lot of people getting RFEs for that reason with OKC, so we wanted to be prepared.

We sent that evidence + a letter to CSC before we got an RFE. About 2 months later we got an RFE for it anyway. We re-sent the evidence as-is and the petition was approved days after receipt of the response was acknowledged.

Oh okay. I'll probably just wait to see if I get an RFE then. Thank you!

It can be done.  We did exactly that.  Our petition was submitted with a certified copy of my state's divorce certificate only, and after reading more on VJ, I became worried that it would be insufficient, so I sent in a certified copy of my entire decree.  The decree did NOT include the property settlement, or parenting plan though, so it wasn't a huge document.

In addition, we had a 20 + year old divorce from England, for which the records had been transferred to a different court and couldn't readily be located.  In the original petition, I only had a letter from the court saying that the decree absolute from 1998 existed, and the search for it was pending.  It took EIGHT months for me to finally receive it!

I sent both decrees, along with a detailed cover letter and a copy of the NOA-1 to the CSC.  The petition was approved six weeks later (@ 185 days), with no RFEs.  Of course, there is no way to know whether we would have gotten an RFE.

Best of luck!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
5 hours ago, geowrian said:

There's no harm in sending something before an RFE. But myself and numerous others have been unsuccessful for an I-129F to do so. Unlike AOS where you are dealing with NBC and field offices, service centers tend to be a different beast in matching up documents.

That and for the i-129f there's no A-number yet, maybe it's harder to match the document with the file if there's no A-number.

I would have sent it anyway though. Worst case scenario the documents never reach the file, and all you lost was the shipping fee.

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

When they sent me an REF notice the forms have a barcode on the right hand side so they can scan it in to the person who has your case file. It also came with and envelope on on the fron was Attn: like J Hargrove.  They send a letter asking what they needed (asking a question about some of the supporting docs)

I just responded to the question asked, keep it really simple. 3 days after the got it I had an email and 4 days later the offical notice it had been forwarded to NCV. My first draft was like 3 pages. On my 5th draft was Pg & half. The will tell you every thing and question. For me just as simple answer- to the point of the question.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.