M and Ed

JANUARY / FEBRUARY 2019 ARGENTINA K1 INTERVIEWS

813 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Argentina
Timeline
17 hours ago, Fe.Ta said:

Thank you for your response!  Would showing that he is trying to learn some English while he is there with using such things as Duolingo, etc. be sufficient?  Based on other responses, I am also thinking it should be OK as long as we can prove that part of our plans while we are waiting for the green card is for him to enroll in English classes once he is in USA.  Plus, we will be living in a Hispanic-centered area where Spanish is spoken as often as English.

So, as long as we explain it in the DS160, plus prep him to be ready to answer this question in case it comes up, we should have no issues as them considering unemployment a red flag?  It was our mutual decision to have him not continue to look for a job because of not knowing how things would play out, plus we thought it would be unfair to take a job from a local that had no plans of leaving and needed it either to sustain himself/herself and a family.  If we list enough activities and reasons, plus show I've sent money, do you think this would work for our benefit?

He is from Buenos Aires.

Sorry for the long post.  I appreciate your input and support!  I hope yours continues to work through with flying colors!

If he will arrive to a spanic neighbourhood, you are fluent in spanish that will do. You don't need to add info about his studies of english here, because they just care about if the relationship is bonafide, if you have financial support. So he just needs to have all this you mentioned in mind, if the consul brings it up, as well as what he does for a living. 

Also make him practice to answer just what the consul asks, don't over explain anything just to avoid missleading information or the extra info in his answer may lead to questions the consul was not going to ask, but does because he brings it on the conversation. 😊

The most important thing now about financial income is your economical support, it is more likely he could be asked what he does for a living, what kind of job he will look for in the US or what are your plans withing 5 or 10 years, than asking why he is unnenployed, so don't sweat it, just he should prepair himself for what you guys consider are the difficult questions to answer in your specific case, and the regular ones as how you two meet. 

This will make him feel conffident even though he'll be under stress.I did that, and fortunately the questions were very simple. 

Unfortunately I don't kniw why they've been regected because I didn't talk to them, but I could tell because of their faces. I asume one couple was regected because they were reading and practicing questions on the main waitting room, full of cameras...you may call me paranoid, but Im sure they are watching and hearing you, so I belive that could've been a red flag of a none bonafide relationship. I tried to stay calm, with a smile on my face thinking about my fiance, watching people doing their tourist visa interview, inside me there was a different story going on. Hahaha! But yes, helped me to have my fiance in my thoughts to keep myself positive. 

Its ok about the post! This back and forth helps everybody and future couples joining the group 😊

Timeline

Okay I just came back from droping Packet 3 in a DHL facility here in Córdoba. The packet will arrive tomorrow at the embassy in Buenos Aires. 

So one thing is done. It feels so much less weight under my shoulders haha

5 hours ago, Fernanda R Sanz said:

If he will arrive to a spanic neighbourhood, you are fluent in spanish that will do. You don't need to add info about his studies of english here, because they just care about if the relationship is bonafide, if you have financial support. So he just needs to have all this you mentioned in mind, if the consul brings it up, as well as what he does for a living. 

Also make him practice to answer just what the consul asks, don't over explain anything just to avoid missleading information or the extra info in his answer may lead to questions the consul was not going to ask, but does because he brings it on the conversation. 😊

The most important thing now about financial income is your economical support, it is more likely he could be asked what he does for a living, what kind of job he will look for in the US or what are your plans withing 5 or 10 years, than asking why he is unnenployed, so don't sweat it, just he should prepair himself for what you guys consider are the difficult questions to answer in your specific case, and the regular ones as how you two meet. 

This will make him feel conffident even though he'll be under stress.I did that, and fortunately the questions were very simple. 

Unfortunately I don't kniw why they've been regected because I didn't talk to them, but I could tell because of their faces. I asume one couple was regected because they were reading and practicing questions on the main waitting room, full of cameras...you may call me paranoid, but Im sure they are watching and hearing you, so I belive that could've been a red flag of a none bonafide relationship. I tried to stay calm, with a smile on my face thinking about my fiance, watching people doing their tourist visa interview, inside me there was a different story going on. Hahaha! But yes, helped me to have my fiance in my thoughts to keep myself positive. 

Its ok about the post! This back and forth helps everybody and future couples joining the group 😊

Thank you! We are considering for me to go during the time of the interview, even though we know I won't be able to go into the interview room.  I appreciate all of your tips and additional information! 🙂

Walt Disney Animation GIF

November 2010 - Met/Just Friends

June 2017 - I caught feelings, you want to try this?  Yes.
June 2018 - Do you want to get married?  Yes.
November 2018 - K1 filed

May 2019 - K1 interview scheduled and packet sent to embassy

June 2019 - K1 interview, approved, and moved to USA

August 2019 - Married

September 2019 - AOS/EAD/AP filed

October 2019 - Biometrics Appointment

January 2020 - AOS RFE for birth certificate received and sent back

February 2020 - EAD/AP approved and got the card

October 2020 - EAD/AP renewal filed

November 2020 - EAD/AP renewal approved and got the card - AOS interview date issued

December 2020 - AOS interview, approved, and GC received

September 2022 - ROC filed

7 hours ago, andreaam said:

I think if you show proof the he is learning english is completly fine. I consider myself fluent in english but I'm learning all the time new things, so I don't think the lenguage will be a problem if you proof you are willing to learn.

If you put documents that proof you sent money to him it would defnitily work on your benefit because it proofs the relationship.

According to the job question, he can work when he receives his Employment Authorazation or EAD. This takes between 4 - 6 months and green cards is about 12 - 18 months

Regarding the rejected cases, I didn't have my interview yet (is scheduled for april 25th) so I don't have any experience on that. @Fernanda R Sanz wrote that she saw rejected cases but she doesn't know why

Thank you!  I have read in different resources that how you present yourself is very important.  So, if they see you acting too nervous or stomping over your words, you can entice them to try to trick you or confuse you to confirm whether or not the relationship is real.  So, I guess, for all of you that are reading and are the ones that will be in the interview, just keep the nerves to yourself!  As @Fernanda R Sanz said, practicing your answers and knowing what you are likely to respond to certain questions ahead of time will calm the nervousness and make you feel prepared.  Additionally, I would add a tip that you also don't want to memorize each question and say it verbatim like a robot because it would also seem that you are just spitting out information and not being genuine.  The key is to know your information so that no matter how the question is asked, the answer does not change, even if the way you present the answer is different.

November 2018 - K1 filed

August 2019 - Married

November 2020 - EAD/AP renewal approved and got the card - AOS interview date issued

Additional information about the interview:

I was reading other posts from members in other countries that may have experienced some discrimination or unfairness during the interview and, therefore, got a rejection or denial.  Other people responded to their posts indicating that if you feel like you have been mistreated or discriminated by the C.O. during the interview, you could request to speak to the manager or supervisor in the embassy and explain your concerns.  From what I've read, the manager or supervisor will give you another opportunity with another C.O.  But, again, make sure you are truthful and explain the why you feel there was mistreatment towards you.  According to another article I read, all C.O. should adhere to a code of conduct as well while performing the interview.  (I can provide that website if you would like.)

November 2018 - K1 filed

August 2019 - Married

Timeline
1 hour ago, Fe.Ta said:

Additional information about the interview:

I was reading other posts from members in other countries that may have experienced some discrimination or unfairness during the interview and, therefore, got a rejection or denial.  Other people responded to their posts indicating that if you feel like you have been mistreated or discriminated by the C.O. during the interview, you could request to speak to the manager or supervisor in the embassy and explain your concerns.  From what I've read, the manager or supervisor will give you another opportunity with another C.O.  But, again, make sure you are truthful and explain the why you feel there was mistreatment towards you.  According to another article I read, all C.O. should adhere to a code of conduct as well while performing the interview.  (I can provide that website if you would like.)

That's good to know! 

According for what I search for US embassy in argentina, they are pretty kind and nice in all the cases I read. Nothing out of common and most of the interview are about 15 minutes long. All of this of course considering that the cases are realiable, truthfull and nothing to hide.

In my experience, I did two J1 visas (one for Work and Travel and the other for Student) and I had in both an interview where I had to proof my studies record, family profesions and salary. They asked me 5 questions. Everything went really smoothly and quick. If you have a smile in your face and pay attention to details such as saying Good morning, the interview goes well  by itself

29 minutes ago, andreaam said:

That's good to know! 

According for what I search for US embassy in argentina, they are pretty kind and nice in all the cases I read. Nothing out of common and most of the interview are about 15 minutes long. All of this of course considering that the cases are realiable, truthfull and nothing to hide.

In my experience, I did two J1 visas (one for Work and Travel and the other for Student) and I had in both an interview where I had to proof my studies record, family profesions and salary. They asked me 5 questions. Everything went really smoothly and quick. If you have a smile in your face and pay attention to details such as saying Good morning, the interview goes well  by itself

Thanks!

November 2018 - K1 filed

August 2019 - Married

Timeline

Hey people! This is how I arrenged my Packet 3.

I divided everything in 3 groups: 1 (documents from Beneficiary and Petitioner kind of), 2 Evidence of support and 3 Evidence of relationship. In every group I put tabs with every subgroup of things to be easy found and read

FOLIO 1

-        Instructions (signed by beneficiary)  

·        Packet 3 assembling - Photo requirements - Police certificate requirements - Medical exam requirements - IMBRA Pamphlet (this is to let tem know you read the instructions and you are aware of everything)

-        Forms

·        DS 160 comfirmation page

·        Notice of Action 2

·        NVC email with case numer

·        Embassy email

·        MRV Fee receipt payment

-        Beneficiary Documents

·        Passport copy (Bio page) + 2 Photos 4x4

·        Birth certificate copy (make sure it says 'copia fiel' in the back and with stamps of the municipality you were registered when you were born)

·        Intent of marry signed (this is not a must but we decided to repeat the intent of marry we sent on early september changing the date of March)

·        Police certificate (check that it says 'con excepción articulo 51 del codigo penal'. It expired in 90 days and it hasn't have to be expired when you  enter USA, so don't do it until you have your interview date or so)

·        Medical exam schedule email (In the instructions asked to be sent a photo of the packet you get when you are done with the medical exam, but since I'll be having my medical exam a couple days before the interview, I printed out the email where I scheduled the appointment with Dr Grillo)

-        Petitioner Documents

·        Passport copy (Bio page)

·        Birth certificate copy

·        Intent of marry signed (this is not a must but we decided to repeat the intent of marry we sent on early september changing the date of March)

FOLIO 2

-        Evidence of Support

·        Letter of employment -  Form I-134 - 2018 W2 + Tax Returns - 2017 W2 + Tax Returns - 2016 W2 + Tax Returns - Bank Checking + Saving Statements from FEB 2019 to JUN 2018 - Mutual Funds Investment Statement·  - 401 K Retirement Statement 4Q 2018 - Pay Stubs Jan 2018 – Mar 2019

FOLIO 3

-        Evidence of Relationship

·        Photos Sent to USCIS on September 2018 (from the beggining of our relationship in early 2017 to the day we decided to file for K1 on early september 2018, we only put 10 photos with family members and friends that define our timeline relationship)

·        Photos from September 2018 to March 2019 (we decided to add pictures from the moment we received NOA1 until NOA2 which includes two trips. Here there are 10 more photos. I'm saving around 20 more photos to carry with me to the interview)

·        Proof of all trips from Beneficiary and Petitioner (8 trips in total from both of us, we put passport stamps and plane tickets)

·        Facetime record (since we have iPhones is difficult to have a register of what you send so we did screenshots of everytime we Facetime since October 2018 when we stopped leaving together in Argentina and he went back to USA. I'm taking to the interview more facetime screenshots from the beggining of march until a couple days before the interview)

·        Social Media record (we did screenshot of instagram profiles and pictures where family members and friends commented on it, also assuring that the photos we are preseting and date of posting are the same)

·        Gifts receipts (we weren´t together on our birthdays and christmas so we sent gift to one another and we saved the receipts)

·        W2 from beneficiary (I went to USA on a J1 visa two times and had my taxes record on the w2 form and in the form you can check my fiance adress on it)

I hope is helpful! :) :)

Edited by andreaam

Timeline

@andreaam it's a great packet!  Really good job and thanks for sharing it!, don't forget to add NOA1 as well 😊

I did the same with the NVC email, because I didn't get anything through regular mail, until 1 week before sending the packet, so pay atention if you get any mail letter before interview. The email is just fine, Im mentioning this, just to check if you receive something at home, I was not expecting the embassy to send it

Edited by Fernanda R Sanz

@andreaam and @Fernanda R Sanz Reading about how nice the embassy people are makes me feel at ease.  I never know what to expect, especially since I will not be the one doing the interview. 😰  So, I have yet another question.  It seems you both have been able to met up in person with your significant other several times.  However, in our case, although we've known each other for 10 years and dated close to 2 years, we've only been able to meet up once and then a second time when the interview time comes.  I've read this should not be an issue.  But, I was just curious if you guys think it would be.

November 2018 - K1 filed

August 2019 - Married

Timeline
10 minutes ago, Fe.Ta said:

@andreaam and @Fernanda R Sanz Reading about how nice the embassy people are makes me feel at ease.  I never know what to expect, especially since I will not be the one doing the interview. 😰  So, I have yet another question.  It seems you both have been able to met up in person with your significant other several times.  However, in our case, although we've known each other for 10 years and dated close to 2 years, we've only been able to meet up once and then a second time when the interview time comes.  I've read this should not be an issue.  But, I was just curious if you guys think it would be.

I don't think this will be an issue. You have to meet at least once in the last two years to be elegible for K1. So you are good!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
22 minutes ago, Fe.Ta said:

Definitely not an issue for Argentina.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Fernanda R Sanz said:

@andreaam it's a great packet!  Really good job and thanks for sharing it!, don't forget to add NOA1 as well 😊

I did the same with the NVC email, because I didn't get anything through regular mail, until 1 week before sending the packet, so pay atention if you get any mail letter before interview. The email is just fine, Im mentioning this, just to check if you receive something at home, I was not expecting the embassy to send it

yes!! NOA 1 too! I maybe erase it by accident and now I can't edit.

I wasn't expecting an NVC letter will arrive since they sent us an email! But I'll be paying attention if I receive one now :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
1 hour ago, Fernanda R Sanz said:

Really good job and thanks for sharing it!, don't forget to add NOA1 as well 😊

NOA1 is not necessary, only NOA2 👍

Edit: Just went to the P3 on the embassy and it doesn't list NOA2 either. I seem to remember I showed a copy of ours, but it doesn't seem to be necessary now, though. If you have it, great; if you don't, they don't seem to request it.

Edited by C-ma'am
Clarification

Timeline
13 minutes ago, C-ma'am said:

NOA1 is not necessary, only NOA2 👍

In the instructions says you have to, don't make my misstake of missing a paper you have and get your visa approval delayed because of "administrative processing" 😅

@Fe.Ta you're good as @andreaam saied, to be eligible to start a K1 process you have had meet in person at least once in 2 years, so you're good to go. If I were you, I would add as much communication types (chats,facetimes,skype,socialmedia innteractions) as posible. If you also have or had at any time communications with your fiance family or any friend or family member as well as your fiance with your family, add it too, western union receipts, letters, presents as well. This is a suggestion just in case you don't have much pictures together. Then in Argentina the U.S Embassy is great, they treat me with respect, professionalism and with a smile. I was worried as well when I was looking for interview experiences, but Argentina is not a threat or a drug red flag country as other Latin American Nations. 

Edited by Fernanda R Sanz

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.