VINHIVY

Applying for visa to Canada in the United Statea

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello VJers!

I am looking to apply for a visitor visa to Canada for my wife. She came here on a K1 from the Philippines. We got married. Adjusted status and received our EAD/AP and now awaiting our AOS interview.

We want to visit my parents/family for about 4-6 weeks this summer.

Has anyone here applied for a visitor visa to Canada while in the United States? If so, how easy was it? How fast did the process take?

I've printed out the application and other related information and will begin to read through them.

I'm just curious if anyone has done this. Please chime in with any advice/comments etc. They are must appreciated.

Thank you!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Country-specific thread is moved from General Immigration Discussion to the Canada regional forum.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

she may need an ETA if she's travelling via air.  otherwise she shouldn't need a visa if she's an LPR. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

@NikLR she's not LPR...we are adjusting status and have AP/EAD. Going through the Canadian immigration site, it shows that she needs a visitor Visa.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, VINHIVY said:

@NikLR she's not LPR...we are adjusting status and have AP/EAD. Going through the Canadian immigration site, it shows that she needs a visitor Visa.

The Canadian immigration website lists the current processing time for a visitor visa from the US at 61 days.  From personal experience, I can assure you that Canadian immigration is just as slow as US immigration.  Good luck!

I-130

May 14, 2016: Sent I-130 Package to Chicago Lockbox

Oct 21, 2016: NOA2 Notice by App (LIN)

NVC

Nov 8, 2016: NVC Received

Nov 16, 2016: Case Number Assigned

Nov 18, 2016: DS-261 submitted and AOS fee paid

Dec 5, 2016: NVC Scan Date

Dec 6, 2016: NVC 3 N/A and Case Complete on Phone [1 day later!]

Dec 13, 2016: NVC CC e-mail

Jan 23, 2017: Interview...Approved!

Removing Conditions

Nov 2, 2018: Sent I-751 to Arizona Lockbox 

March 3, 2020: Approved by CSC

N-400

Feb 2, 2020: File N-400 online

Feb 25, 2020: Biometrics

Timeline

@AstroCanada

We were hoping to travel in July and wanted to get started asap. 

When did you apply for your visitor Visa to Canada? Did you mail the application in or do it online?

I'm kinda confused when reading the Canadian Immigration site. It shows the Canadian banks needed to do the online application, is that true?

Would you mind sharing what steps you took to get the visa?

Thank you in advance,

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
21 hours ago, VINHIVY said:

@AstroCanada

We were hoping to travel in July and wanted to get started asap. 

When did you apply for your visitor Visa to Canada? Did you mail the application in or do it online?

I'm kinda confused when reading the Canadian Immigration site. It shows the Canadian banks needed to do the online application, is that true?

Would you mind sharing what steps you took to get the visa?

Thank you in advance,

Sorry, I'm American so I've never applied for a visitor visa.  I don't have any additional information other than what I got through Google.  

I-130

May 14, 2016: Sent I-130 Package to Chicago Lockbox

Oct 21, 2016: NOA2 Notice by App (LIN)

NVC

Nov 8, 2016: NVC Received

Nov 16, 2016: Case Number Assigned

Nov 18, 2016: DS-261 submitted and AOS fee paid

Dec 5, 2016: NVC Scan Date

Dec 6, 2016: NVC 3 N/A and Case Complete on Phone [1 day later!]

Dec 13, 2016: NVC CC e-mail

Jan 23, 2017: Interview...Approved!

Removing Conditions

Nov 2, 2018: Sent I-751 to Arizona Lockbox 

March 3, 2020: Approved by CSC

N-400

Feb 2, 2020: File N-400 online

Feb 25, 2020: Biometrics

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

there are two locations in the USA that she can interview at.  LA and NYC.  

https://www.vfsglobal.ca/Canada/USA/how_to_apply.html

23 minutes ago, NikLR said:

there are two locations in the USA that she can interview at.  LA and NYC.  

https://www.vfsglobal.ca/Canada/USA/how_to_apply.html

I'd like to add that there is no interview for most TRV (temporary resident visa = tourist visa) applicants.  If you are approved, you get a letter to send them your passport, they stick the visa and mail it back to you.

Timeline

@Lemonslice that's good to know.

Thanks for the responses. Has anyone of you tried to apply for the visitor visa online? Or know of someone that has? It seems to be quicker and easier from what I read.

It'd be nice to know if someone applied for their visitor visa to Canada to chime in. 

There's not a lot of stories about it on VJ.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.