mexigrl

Help please - About to get married but confused about the age for my stepdaughter, 18 or 21?

3 posts in this topic

Filed: H-2B Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hi 

I have two choices. I am going to Cancun to meet up with my fiancé for a few days next week. We have talked about getting married there and I have checked on the paperwork options. His daughter turns 18 in mid-May and I believe that we need to get married before that date in order for her to be considered my stepdaughter. Can anyone confirm that?

The other option is to wait until I return to Mexico in early May and get married then. I live there half the year. It would be very close to her birthday, and I wonder if that raises any red flags. 

If anyone can answer this with certainty, or point me to the correct information I would truly appreciate it. It turns out that the fees for getting married in Cancun are three times what they would be in the city in which we live in Mexico when I am there. I’d prefer to wait, but don’t want to have issues with her birthday.

Thank you!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
1 minute ago, mexigrl said:

Hi 

I have two choices. I am going to Cancun to meet up with my fiancé for a few days next week. We have talked about getting married there and I have checked on the paperwork options. His daughter turns 18 in mid-May and I believe that we need to get married before that date in order for her to be considered my stepdaughter. Can anyone confirm that?

The other option is to wait until I return to Mexico in early May and get married then. I live there half the year. It would be very close to her birthday, and I wonder if that raises any red flags. 

If anyone can answer this with certainty, or point me to the correct information I would truly appreciate it. It turns out that the fees for getting married in Cancun are three times what they would be in the city in which we live in Mexico when I am there. I’d prefer to wait, but don’t want to have issues with her birthday.

Thank you!

The age of 18 has to do with the step parent being able to petition for an immediate relative visa  for their stepchild. This is permitted if the marraige took place before the child turned 18. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

exactly, you would need to marry her mother before she turned 18 to be able to file for her as her step parent

now, if you were to file for the k1/k2 fiancé visa, marry in the US and file for adjustment of status for each one of them, the child can enter the country before she turns 21

it will cost more, but if you want to wait and marry in the future, that is an option if you are a USC

you didn't mention if you are a USC or LPR

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.