Humsafar

Crossing over to USA from Pearson Airport

2 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I arrived at Pearson at 3:00pm on Jan 3 2019. My original flight was at 7:40pm. I got their early because I thought that my clearance through Customs & Border Protection (CBP), might take a few hours and I also wanted to see if I can get on an earlier flight. Since I had an IR-1, I did not have to get a photo receipt at the Kiosk before approaching CBP. The line was a little long, not too bad, but slower than usual, perhaps the holidays may have affected that.

Anyways, as I approached, I gave my the officer the Visa side on my passport and he just started asking me normal stuff, that they ask b4 they let u enter. Before answering the first question I told him that this was my first time crossing with an IR-1. He was surprised and then asked me about the packet. I told him it was all electronic now. He then took me to the secondary inspection room.

In the room another officer asked me about the packet and I said the same thing. He asked if they gave me any documents and I showed him the Welcome to USA doc, he asked to borrow it and if I could write my intended address on the back. He was gone for quite a bit, but he didn't seem like he knew what to do, because he also mentioned to me, 'this electronic stuff is all new, I have to figure out what to do', and he asked his colleague and supervisor , "so what do we do exactly," I was amused.  His colleague said that ur just gonna double check the info online and then admit her and then she's done. He then called me over to his booth, and said everything looks good, he explained how the visa is used in travel and how my green card might take 6-8 weeks to be delivered since they are experiencing backlog. After that he said congratulations, your good to go!

Also, I was able to get on an earlier flight :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.