Savvy

What if you're in your fiancee's country for the NOA2?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Chile
Timeline

My fiancee and I are planning a trip between now and our expected NOA2 arrival (March). We filed in October 2018 so the far end of our estimate is March, and based on some things I've been seeing for wait times I'm fairly sure thats an accurate estimate. 

We wanted him to visit me in the US to break up the time between now and when he finally can move here permanently. The NOA2 would probably arrive about 1-3 weeks before he would be leaving. We figured that's ok because there appears to be some time lapse while they mail out documents and get everything straightened before you can schedule things (is this correct?)

If the NOA2 is received while he's in the US with me, can everything be scheduled from abroad while we're together, or is there a reason that he would need to be in his country?

Thank you!😊 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
6 minutes ago, Savvy said:

My fiancee and I are planning a trip between now and our expected NOA2 arrival (March). We filed in October 2018 so the far end of our estimate is March, and based on some things I've been seeing for wait times I'm fairly sure thats an accurate estimate. 

We wanted him to visit me in the US to break up the time between now and when he finally can move here permanently. The NOA2 would probably arrive about 1-3 weeks before he would be leaving. We figured that's ok because there appears to be some time lapse while they mail out documents and get everything straightened before you can schedule things (is this correct?)

If the NOA2 is received while he's in the US with me, can everything be scheduled from abroad while we're together, or is there a reason that he would need to be in his country?

Thank you!😊 

Visiting will be fine, it'll need to go to the NVC first for some processing before it's sent to the embassy who will send you packet 3, so you wont be able to schedule an interview right away. Everything can be scheduled while abroad (for the consulate interview/medical in his country), just ensure your fiance applies for his police certificates and has all of his documents ready for the interview.

Edited by Ethan & Shannon

K1 Visa Timeline [Approved]

Spoiler

07/23/2018    I-129F sent

07/25/2018    NOA1 email notification

07/30/2018    NOA1 hard copy

12/21/2018    NOA2 hard copy

01/10/2019    NVC Case # assigned

01/22/2019    Left NVC

01/29/2019    Embassy received

01/29/2019    Pkt 3 sent

02/01/2019    Pkt 4 received

02/13/2019    Medical

03/00/2019    Interview approved!

04/01/2019    Visa issued

04/02/2019    Visa received in mail

04/06/2019    POE

05/04/2019    Wedding

Adjustment Of Status Timeline [Approved]

Spoiler

05/31/2019    I-485, I-131 and I-765 sent

06/10/2019    NOA1 (electronic) & check cashed

06/11/2019    NOA1 hard copies

07/05/2019    Biometrics walk-in

09/30/2019    Interview scheduled (electronic notification)

10/23/2019    EAD/AP approved

11/00/2019    AOS Interview approved!

11/08/2019    Green card is being produced

11/16/2019    Green card in hand

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
10 minutes ago, Savvy said:

Thank you!😊 

No reason.    Plus it will be 30 days or so after petition approval before it gets to the embassy 

YMMV

Timeline

Thank you!

Any suggestions from anyone if we should aim to schedule the medical appt or the interview appt first? We're hoping to maybe be able to get the medical done while he's in his country's main city before he take the bus trip home, just to make things smoother for him.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 minute ago, Savvy said:

Thank you!

Any suggestions from anyone if we should aim to schedule the medical appt or the interview appt first? We're hoping to maybe be able to get the medical done while he's in his country's main city before he take the bus trip home, just to make things smoother for him.

Just understand that the visa will expire 6 mos from the date of the medical so plan accordingly.   Medical can only be only done at the embassy approved facility 

YMMV

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
44 minutes ago, Savvy said:

Thank you!

What country is he from? In the Netherlands you get a form in your packet 3 that the beneficiary has to sign to declare (s)he is ready for the interview before you can even receive packet 4 (an email with the info how to schedule your medical and your interview). Also, you should plan your medical before your interview, but not too early since your visa does expire 6 months after medical like said above. Check what the rules are in his country. In the Netherlands you have to have at least 10 days between your medical and your interview cause of the test results they need, but this may be different in his country.

Timeline
1 hour ago, C90 said:

What country is he from? In the Netherlands you get a form in your packet 3 that the beneficiary has to sign to declare (s)he is ready for the interview before you can even receive packet 4 (an email with the info how to schedule your medical and your interview). Also, you should plan your medical before your interview, but not too early since your visa does expire 6 months after medical like said above. Check what the rules are in his country. In the Netherlands you have to have at least 10 days between your medical and your interview cause of the test results they need, but this may be different in his country.

He is chilean. I looked around some other chilean k1 forum posts and it seems to be similar in terms of waiting for 10 days. This is very helpful though i'll definitely have to check in on the packet process. Where were you able to find those details for your embassy?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
15 hours ago, Savvy said:

He is chilean. I looked around some other chilean k1 forum posts and it seems to be similar in terms of waiting for 10 days. This is very helpful though i'll definitely have to check in on the packet process. Where were you able to find those details for your embassy?

In packet 4 is all the information regarding to the minimal period between your medical and your interview, what to bring to your interview and your medical etc. You can also take at look at https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/family-immigration/nonimmigrant-visa-for-a-fiance-k-1.html#7. From this website you might be able to find information on his countries requirements etc. Also, try to find the website of his embassy (that's what I did for the Netherlands and it was very helpful preparing stuff even before I received package 4)

I'm also part of a facebook group with Dutch people that moved to the States and I was in contact with some people that were going through the process about the same time as me, so they could give me some helpful tips on their experiences (they were about 2 months further in the proces what's already very helpful) So as you can see, there's a lot of resources out there to help you (besides VJ) :) 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.