Kkimpala

Police Certificate

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello everyone! 

Apologies if this is not the correct place to be posting this question but I’m wondering if someone who is familiar with filing thru the Montréal embassy can help me. I am the beneficiary living in Canada and my fiancé is the US petitioner. We received notice our approved petition arrived at the NVC December 31 2018. I had to get my fingerprints done in niagara on December 19th and was told it would only take a few weeks to receive my police certificate. After the new requests by US government in September 2018, it is fingerprint based and must be requested under the “privacy act”. After doing some research online I’m getting a little worried as to when it may arrive in the mail. I’ve read it can take over 120 days and am freaking out a bit now that I will have to wait that long for it, delaying the process even further. Does anyone have any recent experience with filing for their police certificates in Canada ? Thanks so much in advance 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

It may take up to 120 days only if you have a criminal conviction but normally only takes about 10 days. 

CR-1 Visa
Texas Service Center
Montreal, Canada Consulate
Canadian Beneficiary/US Petitioner

Married: Nov 15, 2017
NOA1/PD Date: Jan 5, 2018
I-130 Approved: July 6, 2018 (6 months wait)
NVC Received Case: July 18, 2018 (12 days wait)
Received Case Number: August 10, 2018 (23 days wait)
Paid AOS & IV Bill: August 10, 2018
Was marked "PAID" August 15, 2018 at the CEAC site. (3 business days wait)

Filled out DS-261 & Supporting Docs: Tuesday August 21 2018

Uploaded AOS Forms & Supporting Docs: Friday August 24 2018

Case Complete: September 13, 2018

Appointment Date Email: November 9, 2018

Appointment Date: December 21, 2018

Visa Approved: December 21, 2018

Picked up Visa from Post Office: December 31, 2018

Received SSN: January 4th, 2019

Received GC in Mail: March 24, 2019

Timeline
4 hours ago, Kkimpala said:

Hello everyone! 

Apologies if this is not the correct place to be posting this question but I’m wondering if someone who is familiar with filing thru the Montréal embassy can help me. I am the beneficiary living in Canada and my fiancé is the US petitioner. We received notice our approved petition arrived at the NVC December 31 2018. I had to get my fingerprints done in niagara on December 19th and was told it would only take a few weeks to receive my police certificate. After the new requests by US government in September 2018, it is fingerprint based and must be requested under the “privacy act”. After doing some research online I’m getting a little worried as to when it may arrive in the mail. I’ve read it can take over 120 days and am freaking out a bit now that I will have to wait that long for it, delaying the process even further. Does anyone have any recent experience with filing for their police certificates in Canada ? Thanks so much in advance 

Took mine only two weeks. Very efficient process. You can relax a bit as your interview is months away :)

Timeline

Thanks so much to everyone for your quick responses! 

I have another question related to visa interview scheduling. I’ve looked at other similar timelines to mine and it seems people are able to get an interview date in Montreal fairly quickly. Does anyone know the approximate wait time to schedule interview from when the petition arrives at the embassy?

Timeline

To everyone who got a Police Certificate in Toronto for K1 visa, is this the right one to get? Requesting online ($20 fee) and picking it up? I read an older 27 page thread on the "new police certificate requirement" here but that just left me more confused. The thread refers to getting a "privacy act" one but I don't see that as an option.

https://www.torontopolice.on.ca/background-checks/criminal-record-check-process.php

Timeline
38 minutes ago, R0n said:

To everyone who got a Police Certificate in Toronto for K1 visa, is this the right one to get? Requesting online ($20 fee) and picking it up? I read an older 27 page thread on the "new police certificate requirement" here but that just left me more confused. The thread refers to getting a "privacy act" one but I don't see that as an option.

https://www.torontopolice.on.ca/background-checks/criminal-record-check-process.php

I don’t think Toronto has updated since the US made the privacy act one the requirement.

https://www.torontopolice.on.ca/background-checks/fingerprint-requirements.php

I would assume you need to attend at RCMP detachment to do it if that’s where they were sending the people with a possible match on the original check.

• 7 months later...
Timeline
On 1/7/2019 at 2:37 PM, Kkimpala said:

Hello everyone! 

Did you happen to get your fingerprints done at Fingerprints Niagara? If so, how was it!? I am thinking about going there since it's the closest to me (I'm in St. Catharines). Just wanna make sure that they provide the right service - they weren't very clear over email.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Had mine done a month ago as of Wednesday. Checked with the local RCMP on Friday and it's not back yet. Still waiting here in Nova Scotia ... 🙄

Edited by Thrillhouse

Timeline
On 1/15/2019 at 9:24 AM, R0n said:

that is not the right one. you need to do to a certified finger-printing service company and they will submit to RCMP themselves; not from toronto police or peel regional police precinct. it costs around $60.

Timeline
23 hours ago, Thrillhouse said:

Had mine done a month ago as of Wednesday. Checked with the local RCMP on Friday and it's not back yet. Still waiting here in Nova Scotia ... 🙄

oh wow, I'm hoping you get it soon! at least you still have some time before your interview. best to get it done ASAP i guess haha. good planning!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.