MariahK

Disclosing "clean" criminal record?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

k1, currently in the states, we got married... applying for AOS soon.. I hope.. but....

I am so worried that I really messed up. When I was 14 I got in trouble for underaged drinking (Canada, Ontario). When filling out the DS160 I went to the local cop station to ask them about the "Have you ever been arrested or convicted for any offense or crime, even though subject of a of a pardon, amnesty, or other similar action?" the officer told me to to say no, cuz I was never convicted of anything. I literally asked her a couple times because I was surprised. She told me I was a part of a diversion program, so from what I understand nothing ever went on my criminal record. (I've had so many criminal record checks done now, and they're all clean). However, she was able to pull up all the information in her computer system about me to find out about the information.  Now here is what is freaking me out on the i-485 the question about ever being ordered punished by judge including rehabilitative programs/community service. I did have to go to court, and I did 20 hours of community service. So i'm fairly certain I should say yes to this question on the i-485? But now will I get in trouble for saying no to the DS160 question? Should I hire a lawyer to help? I feel like I NEED to clarify this otherwise it's going to eat at the back of my head for the rest of my life and I'm so worried for the AOS interview. Any help would be appreciated. I really hate my 14 year old self right now. And I really wish I would have said yes to the first DS160 question and just got all the records I could. 😥

March 2015 : Met Online (tumblr)

12/04/2017 : I-129F Packet Sent

12/07/2017 : NOA 1 Received

06/18/2018 : NOA 2 Received (194 days)

08/08/2018 : Packet 3 received

08/29/2018 : Packet 4 received

10/17/2018 : Interview - APPROVED! (314 days)

11/06/2018 : Visa in hand

11/06/2018 : POE - Montreal, Ontario 

From sending of I-129F petition to POE - 573 days.

🇨🇦🇺🇸❤️

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
11 minutes ago, MariahK said:

I did have to go to court, and I did 20 hours of community service. So i'm fairly certain I should say yes to this question on the i-485? But now will I get in trouble for saying no to the DS160 question?

All you can do is to answer the I-485 question truthfully......and prepare to face scrutiny at your interview......

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

45 minutes ago, MariahK said:

k1, currently in the states, we got married... applying for AOS soon.. I hope.. but....

I am so worried that I really messed up. When I was 14 I got in trouble for underaged drinking (Canada, Ontario). When filling out the DS160 I went to the local cop station to ask them about the "Have you ever been arrested or convicted for any offense or crime, even though subject of a of a pardon, amnesty, or other similar action?" the officer told me to to say no, cuz I was never convicted of anything. I literally asked her a couple times because I was surprised. She told me I was a part of a diversion program, so from what I understand nothing ever went on my criminal record. (I've had so many criminal record checks done now, and they're all clean). However, she was able to pull up all the information in her computer system about me to find out about the information.  Now here is what is freaking me out on the i-485 the question about ever being ordered punished by judge including rehabilitative programs/community service. I did have to go to court, and I did 20 hours of community service. So i'm fairly certain I should say yes to this question on the i-485? But now will I get in trouble for saying no to the DS160 question? Should I hire a lawyer to help? I feel like I NEED to clarify this otherwise it's going to eat at the back of my head for the rest of my life and I'm so worried for the AOS interview. Any help would be appreciated. I really hate my 14 year old self right now. And I really wish I would have said yes to the first DS160 question and just got all the records I could. 😥

I agree with missleman. You will be answering the questions of your I485 at your interview under oath. It's too late to turn back now regarding the D160. Be truthful, obtain the necessary criminal records or a statement from the charging jurisdiction that their is none and submit photocopies of that. The I485 says if you are unsure of the question state yes and explain just as you have to us. Bring the originals to your AOS interview.

Timeline
15 minutes ago, K1visaHopeful said:

I agree with missleman. You will be answering the questions of your I485 at your interview under oath. It's too late to turn back now regarding the D160. Be truthful, obtain the necessary criminal records or a statement from the charging jurisdiction that their is none and submit photocopies of that. The I485 says if you are unsure of the question state yes and explain just as you have to us. Bring the originals to your AOS interview.

Yeah I'm definitely not trying to hide this, I was just stupid. Thank you for your answer. 

🇨🇦🇺🇸❤️

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
23 hours ago, K1visaHopeful said:

The same oath that the visa application was signed under?  SMH

56 minutes ago, Nitas_man said:

The same oath that the visa application was signed under?  SMH

Yes. Which is why it is an issue that the OP took the ill advice to not disclose the truth initially. Nothing to be done about that now though. The OP just has to know that he will have to reap the repercussions of making the original choice to sign and submit the DS160 which IS a legal document, untruthfully.

Timeline
50 minutes ago, K1visaHopeful said:

Yes. Which is why it is an issue that the OP took the ill advice to not disclose the truth initially. Nothing to be done about that now though. The OP just has to know that he will have to reap the repercussions of making the original choice to sign and submit the DS160 which IS a legal document, untruthfully.

Yeah I really messed up, I thought cause I was a teenager and wasn't arrested/charged with anything that it didn't have to be disclosed. We're getting a lawyer to help cause I don't want to make anymore mistakes. Should have gotten one in the first place. I'm heartbroken that I might have messed everything up. 

Edited by MariahK
addition

🇨🇦🇺🇸❤️

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
21 minutes ago, MariahK said:

Yeah I really messed up, I thought cause I was a teenager and wasn't arrested/charged with anything that it didn't have to be disclosed. We're getting a lawyer to help cause I don't want to make anymore mistakes. Should have gotten one in the first place. I'm heartbroken that I might have messed everything up. 

Absent a determination that the omitted information was material to the outcome of the case you should be OK.

IF:  the information is deemed to be material (ineligible for the benefit had it been disclosed) you’d be in a very serious situation.

I do not believe that this is “material” but best to get it out and in the record ASAP.  Good luck.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Nitas_man said:

Absent a determination that the omitted information was material to the outcome of the case you should be OK.

IF:  the information is deemed to be material (ineligible for the benefit had it been disclosed) you’d be in a very serious situation.

I do not believe that this is “material” but best to get it out and in the record ASAP.  Good luck.

I think I understand what you're saying. Thanks. 

🇨🇦🇺🇸❤️

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Hijacked posts and replies removed. You need to start your own thread and in the proper forum for your own case.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.