shaung

Evidence of Bona Fide Marriage

9 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

The 5th item in proving a bona fide marriage is a affidavit from third party individuals verifying that we have a bona fide marriage.

1. The only thing I can think of are people who attended out wedding dinner in China.  So we are suppose to get them to write a letter saying they attended the dinner and that they know we were married?  What would one say on the letter.  I know they would need to include their name and the national ID number.

2. What other kind of third party evidence would qualify for this process?.

Affidavits are not necessary and are considered weak evidence. Focus on official documentation that prove cohabitation, financial comingling and joint insurances.

Edited by mushroomspore

The only situation that I can think of where affidavits might help would be for applicants who cannot spend much, if any, time together due to cultural or health reasons. Always focus on evidence of time spent together. One boarding pass or passport stamp showing you visited each other is worth 100 affidavits, especially when said affidavits are from good friends or family members who wouldn’t dream of saying a bad word against you. 

The list does not mean you have to send all of those items. It’s just a list of suggestions but you can send things not mentioned if you feel they will help your case. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Timeline

On this question I am not  looking for advice or opinion.  I am only looking for what other types of 3rd party info and how to write the document.

Please don't judge my question as to low  level info or anything like that.  You don't know me or what I have to offer.

6 minutes ago, shaung said:

On this question I am not  looking for advice or opinion.  I am only looking for what other types of 3rd party info and how to write the document.

Please don't judge my question as to low  level info or anything like that.  You don't know me or what I have to offer.

No need to respond rudely to folks who are trying to help.

Timeline

I'm not being rude Jorge.  I simply want the question I asked to be answered if a person has an answer.  I didn't ask the question would you do this I simply asked how it is don'e.  I didn't get that question answered  so I clarified.  

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
22 hours ago, shaung said:

I'm not being rude Jorge.  I simply want the question I asked to be answered if a person has an answer.  I didn't ask the question would you do this I simply asked how it is don'e.  I didn't get that question answered  so I clarified.  

Our only evidence of bonafide marriage in the petition was our translated marriage document.  

No affidavits, letters, pictures, s-x tapes, chat logs, and all the other ####### so many petitioners bury IO’s in were ever necesary in our case.

Affidavits are weak evidence at this stage - especially from the beneficiary side.  An AOS or ROC case in the US?  Much stronger weight.  An I130 petition for foreign spouse?  Not so much.  My advice: skip it and trade it for 3-5 wedding photos

Edited by Ryan H
Reason for edit: to remove alternate spelling of censored word

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.