Smelserjl

New US Citizen and traveling to Egypt

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hello,

My husband just became a US citizen last weekend. Finally! My question is:

He is now a dual Egyptian-American citizen, so what passport does he enter/leave Egypt with? His concern is entering Egypt on an Egyptian passport and then leaving with the US passport, thus not having a complete picture of his entry/exit situation in Egypt. Any thoughts? I checked the State Department's website, but I feel like it isn't clear enough (for me anyway) since I know my husband can be given trouble by the customs guys in Egypt. This below looks to be contradictory.

"Dual nationals may also be required by the foreign country to use its passport to enter and leave that country. Use of the foreign passport to travel to or from a country other than the United States is not inconsistent with U.S. law.  "

Edited by Smelserjl

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
23 minutes ago, Smelserjl said:

Hello,

My husband just became a US citizen last weekend. Finally! My question is:

He is now a dual Egyptian-American citizen, so what passport does he enter/leave Egypt with? His concern is entering Egypt on an Egyptian passport and then leaving with the US passport, thus not having a complete picture of his entry/exit situation in Egypt. Any thoughts? I checked the State Department's website, but I feel like it isn't clear enough (for me anyway) since I know my husband can be given trouble by the customs guys in Egypt. This below looks to be contradictory.

"Dual nationals may also be required by the foreign country to use its passport to enter and leave that country. Use of the foreign passport to travel to or from a country other than the United States is not inconsistent with U.S. law.  "

on my trips back and forth from Egypt I have seen others enter on Egyptian passport to not have to pay the visa fee the dreaded $25.00 we americans have to pay when we visit, and then he can leave using his US passport, I have been told others have no issues with this.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Khallaf said:

on my trips back and forth from Egypt I have seen others enter on Egyptian passport to not have to pay the visa fee the dreaded $25.00 we americans have to pay when we visit, and then he can leave using his US passport, I have been told others have no issues with this.

Thanks very much. Is this also what you do or you just pay the $25?

Also, did you have to get permission from the Egyptian embassy for dual citizenship? 

Timeline
14 minutes ago, Smelserjl said:

Also, did you have to get permission from the Egyptian embassy for dual citizenship? 

I am the USC so I have to use my US passport, spring 2019 I will go with my husband to consulate in Chicago to get my Egyptian citizenship and Egyptian passport

Timeline
16 minutes ago, Smelserjl said:

when you become a US citizen they expect you to give up all other citizenship's in other countries but I know others have not done that, and will fly out on the american passport but enter their country with their country passport, and fly back out with the american one and enter with american one

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
1 hour ago, Khallaf said:

when you become a US citizen they expect you to give up all other citizenship's in other countries but I know others have not done that, and will fly out on the american passport but enter their country with their country passport, and fly back out with the american one and enter with american one

No such requirement, many have 2 or more Citizenships.

Now some Countries, Iran, India and Germany come to mind may have issues, no idea about Egypt.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
1 minute ago, Boiler said:

No such requirement, many have 2 or more Citizenships.

Now some Countries, Iran, India and Germany come to mind may have issues, no idea about Egypt.

I know when my ex did his citizenship there was a requirement that he agree to give up his moroccan citizenship not sure that is the case anymore but it was here in my state.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Citizenship is a Federal issue and there is not such a requirement.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

First, congratulations  on your final journey!  I am scheduled for mine in January  in fairfax.

I believe,  in my opinion, will be better to travel on your US  passport.  DHS screens departures  as well as arrivals.  Remember, you are to give passport  information when booking your ticket unless planning for a split  one.

I am not egyptian but moroccan and customs are a pain. Was told once, "reason of my visit"????. Was entering with moroccan passport, mind you. 

It is just a form o bullying  because we can and they ca not.

Just be proud of your newfound  home and dont let them deter you from what they cant have.

All the very best and happy new year.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

based on the Egyptian Law , you should notify Egypt Government when you get resident in any  country  " most Egyptian dont" its easy step you go to nearest embassy and they will record your info.

and once you get another citizenship you need to apply to the Egyptian government to keep the egyptian passport, usually they approve it. its rarely that will be an issue . i only saw it in the egyptian news one or two times about not allowing some one to keep there egyptian passport

CR-1 Visa Journey

USCIS: Done

NVC: Done

Embassy : Interview Stage..

Interview DONE

POE  DONE

Card in Hand : Done

** ROC *****

NBC 

Sending File >> 1/7/2019

File received>> 1/9/2019

SMS Text Received >> 1/14/2019

Received biometric schedule letter >> 1/26/2109

Timeline

Thanks for everyone's help. I really appreciate it! We'll look into this more and also steps with the Egyptian embassy here.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

The issue of dual citizenship, or triple, or whatever, and traveling with different passports is country-specific, but the general nature of my comment applies to all situations to some degree.  I have been a dual US/Canadian citizen since birth, and for periods of time had two passports.  Based on experience with a lot of international travel, I would suggest that you not show two or more passports simultaneously when crossing borders as this raises suspicions.  Similarly, I would also suggest that you not disclose that you are a dual citizen as this can confuse some border officers and lead to more questioning and delays in travel.  Anything you do, or say, or the passport you choose to enter a country with, I have learned to keep simple, consistent, and easy to understand for even the most rookie border officers.  For this reason, many years ago I decided to always use the passport of the country I was a resident of and only keep the other as a record of citizenship if I ever needed it.  Think of the border officer's point of view and thinking--if I enter Canada with my Canadian passport, but when asked where do I live, I say, California, some officers might decide to ask more questions, just because they can.  And some do.  Put yourself in the CBP officer's place if, when I entered the USA with a US passport, but said I lived in Canada.  I also think it is less confusing for US CBP officers when I return to the US if they see that I entered Canada and returned to the US using the same US passport--yes, they share passport scan data.  Many countries are even moving to a photo-recognition system that tracks our movements as we travel, board airplanes, etc., so why confuse the system by traveling with multiple passports?  Over the years, as my residence for the long-term became the US, I saw no reason to continue updating my Canadian passport every five or ten years, as I can always prove my Canadian citizenship with my birth certificate if I ever decided to return and live in Canada.  Just a few thoughts on international travel when a citizen of more than one country.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
1 hour ago, carmel34 said:

The issue of dual citizenship, or triple, or whatever, and traveling with different passports is country-specific, but the general nature of my comment applies to all situations to some degree.  I have been a dual US/Canadian citizen since birth, and for periods of time had two passports.  Based on experience with a lot of international travel, I would suggest that you not show two or more passports simultaneously when crossing borders as this raises suspicions.  Similarly, I would also suggest that you not disclose that you are a dual citizen as this can confuse some border officers and lead to more questioning and delays in travel.  Anything you do, or say, or the passport you choose to enter a country with, I have learned to keep simple, consistent, and easy to understand for even the most rookie border officers.  For this reason, many years ago I decided to always use the passport of the country I was a resident of and only keep the other as a record of citizenship if I ever needed it.  Think of the border officer's point of view and thinking--if I enter Canada with my Canadian passport, but when asked where do I live, I say, California, some officers might decide to ask more questions, just because they can.  And some do.  Put yourself in the CBP officer's place if, when I entered the USA with a US passport, but said I lived in Canada.  I also think it is less confusing for US CBP officers when I return to the US if they see that I entered Canada and returned to the US using the same US passport--yes, they share passport scan data.  Many countries are even moving to a photo-recognition system that tracks our movements as we travel, board airplanes, etc., so why confuse the system by traveling with multiple passports?  Over the years, as my residence for the long-term became the US, I saw no reason to continue updating my Canadian passport every five or ten years, as I can always prove my Canadian citizenship with my birth certificate if I ever decided to return and live in Canada.  Just a few thoughts on international travel when a citizen of more than one country.

If you're a US citizen, you're required by law to enter the US on your US passport.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.