Alma and Matthew

CRBA--Physical Prescence Requirement in the US for Father

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I will be applying for US citizenship for my child born to a Filipina mother. We are not married, but hope to be when she comes to the US on the K-1 visa. One of my requirements is physical presence in the United States. I have been here in the US since birth. Just how far back have any of you US fathers had to supply documents for?

Thanks

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Just proof that you lived here for 5 years (2 after age 14).

Get your high school and middle school transcripts.  Tax transcripts for 5 years before your child's birth.  One or the other is sufficient in most cases.

46 minutes ago, Alma and Matthew said:

I will be applying for US citizenship for my child born to a Filipina mother. We are not married, but hope to be when she comes to the US on the K-1 visa. One of my requirements is physical presence in the United States. I have been here in the US since birth. Just how far back have any of you US fathers had to supply documents for?

Thanks

As @aaron2020 said you have to show your birth certificate and recent years tax transcripts. If you do that then you will be good to go. 

On 12/20/2018 at 10:51 AM, Alma and Matthew said:

Thanks

If you were born in the US you are a US citizen.  As a US citizen, your child is automatically a US citizen. If your child is in the Philippines the only way to get a US passport is for you to go to the Manila US embassy. https://ph.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/child-family-matters/birth/first-time-report-birth-abroad/ It would save time to have dna tests done in advance. 

5 minutes ago, Bruce Herrington said:

If you were born in the US you are a US citizen.  As a US citizen, your child is automatically a US citizen. 

The second sentence above is not a true statement in itself. In order to pass on citizenship you have to have lived in the US for 5 years, 2 of which must be after age 14. 

45 minutes ago, Bruce Herrington said:

Did you read the embassy web page on the link I provided?

Page 2 of the CRBA checklist linked in from point 1 of that page says “The U.S. citizen parent must provide proof of sufficient physical presence or residence in the United States before the applicant’s birth in order to transmit citizenship.”

So again, your previous statement “As a US citizen, your child is automatically a US citizen.” is not by itself a true statement. Requirements have to be met other than just the parent being a citizen. 

Edited by SusieQQQ

9 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

Page 2 of the CRBA checklist linked in from point 1 of that page says “The U.S. citizen parent must provide proof of sufficient physical presence or residence in the United States before the applicant’s birth in order to transmit citizenship.”

So again, your previous statement “As a US citizen, your child is automatically a US citizen.” is not by itself a true statement. Requirements have to be met other than just the parent being a citizen. 

I was referring to Alma and Matthew who already stated: "I have been here in the US since birth." So what I said to Alma and Matthew  is 100% true whether you like it or not. 

Just now, Bruce Herrington said:

I was referring to Alma and Matthew who already stated: "I have been here in the US since birth." So what I said to Alma and Matthew  is 100% true whether you like it or not. 

Good grief. Other people read these forums and use them too. The sentence you stated is not the absolute you made it sound like and could mislead others. If you had read any of the rest of the thread you would know that it was never in dispute whether he could pass citizenship on his case, but the fact remains that for a birth abroad he still needs to prove the residence requirement has been met.

Nothing like new posters appearing out of nowhere with misleading statements and continuing to argue them 🙄

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
13 minutes ago, Bruce Herrington said:

Duh.  He still must provide proof that he meets the physical presence requirement for the CRBA.  

Welcome to VJ noob.  

Filed: Timeline
On 12/25/2018 at 9:43 PM, Bruce Herrington said:

If you were born in the US you are a US citizen.  As a US citizen, your child is automatically a US citizen. If your child is in the Philippines the only way to get a US passport is for you to go to the Manila US embassy. https://ph.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/child-family-matters/birth/first-time-report-birth-abroad/ It would save time to have dna tests done in advance. 

And, the last sentence is also incorrect.  If DNA is requested, it must be done within specific requirements from the Embassy, which can't be met in advance.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.