HarryWL

Green Card Processing Fee

16 posts in this topic

Hi guys, so I received my passport back and I'm kinda confused by the USCIS website. I'm trying to pay the green card processing fee and these are the instructions:

How to Pay the Fee

You must pay the fee online. The U.S. Embassy or Consulate will give you your:

• A-Number (the letter “A” followed by 8 or 9 numbers);
  • DOS Case ID (3 letters followed by 9 or 10 numbers);
  • Instructions for paying the USCIS Immigrant Fee;
  • Immigrant Data Summary; and
  • Sealed immigrant visa packet.

Obviously the sealed immigrant visa packet doesn't really apply for London, but I don't recall being given any paper with an A-number or DOS Case ID? I'm totally confused!

USCIS Immigrant Fee handout

At the time of your interview at the U.S. embassy or consulate, the DOS interviewing officer should have given you a USCIS Immigrant Fee handout. This document provides instructions on how to pay the USCIS Immigrant Fee and includes your A-Number and DOS Case ID in the top right corner, as shown below. 

And I'm guessing they totally forgot.. just like they forgot to take the payment. :S

Thanks. 

Edited by HarryWL

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
10 minutes ago, HarryWL said:

Hi guys, so I received my passport back and I'm kinda confused by the USCIS website. I'm trying to pay the green card processing fee and these are the instructions:

How to Pay the Fee

You must pay the fee online. The U.S. Embassy or Consulate will give you your:

• A-Number (the letter “A” followed by 8 or 9 numbers);
  • DOS Case ID (3 letters followed by 9 or 10 numbers);
  • Instructions for paying the USCIS Immigrant Fee;
  • Immigrant Data Summary; and
  • Sealed immigrant visa packet.

Obviously the sealed immigrant visa packet doesn't really apply for London, but I don't recall being given any paper with an A-number or DOS Case ID? I'm totally confused!

And I'm guessing they totally forgot.. just like they forgot to take the payment. :S

Thanks. 

your A number should be on your visa or on the paper on the outside of the sealed pack, my husbands A number was on the paper attached to the outside of the sealed envelop it had his picture on the paper as well.

Edited by Khallaf

2 minutes ago, Khallaf said:

your A number should be on your visa or on the paper on the outside of the sealed pack, my husbands A number was on the paper attached to the outside of the sealed envelop it had his picture on the paper as well.

London is completely digital so we don't receive a sealed pack. I had a look at my visa and I don't see anything starting with an A. I think they forgot to give me the piece of paper with the instructions. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

https://www.uscis.gov/tools/how-do-i-guides/how-do-i-pay-uscis-immigrant-fee

this should help to explain how to pay

use case number

u will not get a receipt but it is noted in computer at POE

congratulations

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
3 minutes ago, HarryWL said:

London is completely digital so we don't receive a sealed pack. I had a look at my visa and I don't see anything starting with an A. I think they forgot to give me the piece of paper with the instructions. 

and you tried your NVC case #?

The DOS number is what you used to track your case once it left The Nvc. London should be LND and your number. Also I believe your a number is listes on your 797c paperwork.

Service Center : California Service Center on 2014-03-17Consulate : London, United KingdomI-129F Sent : 2014-03-10I-129F NOA1 : 2014-03-14I-129F NOA2 : 2014-04-07NVC Received :4/21/2014NVC Left :4/23/2014Consulate Received :2014-04-29Packet 3 Received :2014-05-01Packet 3 Sent :2014-05-01Medical Complete: 2014-05-07Packet 4 Received :2014-5-31Interview Date :2014-06-06Visa Issued: 2014-06-10Visa Package Received: 2014-06-13Arrival at POE Seattle: 2014-6-13

Married 07/07/2014

AOS Timeline
AOS package mailed 08/08/2014 (Chicago Lockbox)
NOA date 8/13/2014
Biometrics done 09/14/2014
INTERVIEW DATE!!!! 10/31/2014
Approval e-mail 10/31/2014
Card production e-mail 12/27/2011
GREEN CARD ARRIVED 11/08/201

Employment Authorization Document
CIS Office : Chicago National Office
Filing Method : Mail
Filing Instance : First
Date Filed : 2014-08-04
NOA Date : 2014-08-13
RFE(s) :
Bio. Appt. : 2014-09-04
Approved Date : 2014-09-25
Date Card Received : 2014-10-03

ADVANCED Parole
CIS Office : Chicago National Office
Filing Method : Mail
Filing Instance :First
Date Filed : 2014-08-04
NOA Date : 2014-08-13
RFE(s) :
Date Received : 2014-10-03

ROC Timeline
ROC package mailed to CSC 10/13/2016
NOA1 date 10/17/2016
Biometrics date 12/8/2016

Interview: None
Card production ordered: 03/27/2018
10-YEAR GREEN CARD ARRIVED

7 minutes ago, adil-rafa said:

https://www.uscis.gov/tools/how-do-i-guides/how-do-i-pay-uscis-immigrant-fee

this should help to explain how to pay

use case number

u will not get a receipt but it is noted in computer at POE

congratulations

Thank you!!

It won't let me proceed without the DOS Case ID and A-Number. The website said if you didn't get it at the interview, to contact the embassy and they'll be able to provide it. Dropped them an email but idk how fast they'll be at responding, my flight is in less than 24 hours and was hoping to pay it before arrived. 

Edited by HarryWL

A-Number should also be on the NOA1/NOA2 for the I-130.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

DOS Case ID is the number you track your case through CEAC, also known as the NVC case number. It is located at the upper right corner of your visa (might be called IV case number on the visa). It starts with three letters (LND for London) and 12 numbers.

The A-number is called registration number on the visa. It is right under the case number on the visa. It contains 8 numbers only, no letter.

17 minutes ago, geowrian said:

A-Number should also be on the NOA1/NOA2 for the I-130.

I had a look but the box was blank on my NOA1. 

9 minutes ago, USS_Voyager said:

DOS Case ID is the number you track your case through CEAC, also known as the NVC case number. It is located at the upper right corner of your visa (might be called IV case number on the visa). It starts with three letters (LND for London) and 12 numbers.

The A-number is called registration number on the visa. It is right under the case number on the visa. It contains 8 numbers only, no letter.

Exactly. @HarryWL, below is an example:

Immigrant_Visa_CBP_endorsement.jpg

1 minute ago, lummo said:

Exactly. @HarryWL, below is an example:

Immigrant_Visa_CBP_endorsement.jpg

When I tried putting it in on the website, it put a 0 before it automatically. Is that suppose to happen?

15 minutes ago, USS_Voyager said:

Thanks! So would the case number be my standard one or the one that includes the 01 at the end?

4 minutes ago, HarryWL said:

Thanks! So would the case number be my standard one or the one that includes the 01 at the end?

I think if it's only you, it doesn't matter. When I did it for my mom, I input only the standard one and it's fine. She got her Green card. But it's only her on the case alone.

I think the 01 or 02 at the end is used to indicate if there are multiple people on the same case, for example if there is a child as a derivative then the child will be same case number-02. You then will have to indicate whose fee you're paying for.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.