4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I just got off of the phone with a legal aide that returned my call to answer concerns about the new proposed public charge nonsense.  He said that, although we know our K1 overseas medical is valid for 1 year, we should be prepared to have to submit a new one. He stated the adjudicator may be looking for a sealed envelope and the one we submitted is no longer sealed once they receive it. I was just curious for those who have reached that far in AOS how many are actually being asked for a new complete medical. Is this happening regularly?

25 minutes ago, Jenny17655 said:

I just got off of the phone with a legal aide that returned my call to answer concerns about the new proposed public charge nonsense.  He said that, although we know our K1 overseas medical is valid for 1 year, we should be prepared to have to submit a new one. He stated the adjudicator may be looking for a sealed envelope and the one we submitted is no longer sealed once they receive it. I was just curious for those who have reached that far in AOS how many are actually being asked for a new complete medical. Is this happening regularly?

The adjudicator would not be looking for a sealed envelope as, if they looked at your K1 Visa Status (and they would), its known that your medical forms are adjudicated first by DOS at your US Consular interview before they are submitted into your K1 Visa Packet for submission to CBP (and then transferred to USCIS) at your POE.

They aren't even looking for the same medical forms for a K1:

"Panel Physicians

Panel physicians must annotate the results of the medical examination on the Medical Examination for Immigrant or Refugee Applicant (1991 TB Technical Instructions) (Form DS-2053) or the Medical Examination for Immigrant or Refugee Applicant (2007 TB Technical Instructions) (Form DS-2054), and related worksheets. [1] "

Edited by K1visaHopeful

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Officially your medical is good for one year from the moment it's done. Because USCIS is so backed up, they made a rule that a lot of medicals are going to be good for 2 years. Since they took your medical forms at POE, they obviously won't ask you for that envelope.

If you're not eligible for the 2 year rule OR if your medical expires before your AOS interview (assuming you'd be eligible for the 2 year rule but the interview just takes a loooong time to take place), you could get an RFE at the interview and you have to redo your medical here in the US. It has happened to people, but for as far as I know it hasn't been an issue for an approval once medical is done. It also depends a little on your officer (some are a little easier on the rule then others)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.