JP John

Montreal Embassy notification of receipt of documents

17 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 minute ago, JP John said:

How do you find out that the Montreal US Embassy has received your documents?  

Do they email you?  Can you call them? 

Thanks!

Canada regional forum would be the best place for answers for all things Montreal 

YMMV

10 minutes ago, JP John said:

How do you find out that the Montreal US Embassy has received your documents?  

Do they email you?  Can you call them? 

Thanks!

Your docs should be there if they went out with last week's shipment. I tracked the mailing on DHL from the 27th (first notification on DHL started on the 28th) and they arrived Thursday. Montreal should technically send a notice that docs have been received, I believe to the beneficiary, but not sure. Also not sure if it is by e-mail or mail. Are you tracking the status on the CEAC website? You might also see updates there, though mine still says "in transit" so I don't know if it's always properly updated.

The next biggest step is to wait for Packet 3 from Montreal which might come by e-mail or mail (folks' experience has varied) within the next 2-4 weeks. Holidays might make that shorter or longer though. 

K1 Visa:
Filed I-129f 4/14/2018
Interview 3/27/2019 (Approved)
Visa received 4/4/2019

AOS:
Filed I-485, I-131, I-765 6/21/2019

NOA1 6/24/2019

Biometrics 7/15/2019

EAD/AP Approved 11/12/2019

Interview 2/20/2020 (Approved pending missing medical)
Approved 3/23/2020

ROC:
Filed I-751 2/15/2022 

Case Received 2/17/2022
Text message received 2/22/2022

NOA1 Recieved 2/26/2022
Biometrics Waved 3/28/2022

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
26 minutes ago, MeghanK said:

Your docs should be there if they went out with last week's shipment. I tracked the mailing on DHL from the 27th (first notification on DHL started on the 28th) and they arrived Thursday. Montreal should technically send a notice that docs have been received, I believe to the beneficiary, but not sure. Also not sure if it is by e-mail or mail. Are you tracking the status on the CEAC website? You might also see updates there, though mine still says "in transit" so I don't know if it's always properly updated.

The next biggest step is to wait for Packet 3 from Montreal which might come by e-mail or mail (folks' experience has varied) within the next 2-4 weeks. Holidays might make that shorter or longer though. 

I found the CEAC website and went there but all I was able to do was check the status of the visa and it said "in transit" your case is in transit to the consular section.  Our docs went out with the 28th shipment.  How did you find the DHL info?

18 minutes ago, JP John said:

I found the CEAC website and went there but all I was able to do was check the status of the visa and it said "in transit" your case is in transit to the consular section.  Our docs went out with the 28th shipment.  How did you find the DHL info?

Check out the October NOA2 to NVC thread in K1 progress. You have to do a bit of digging but directions were posted in there a few times by @Greenbaum 

K1 Visa:
Filed I-129f 4/14/2018
Visa received 4/4/2019

AOS:

NOA1 6/24/2019

Biometrics 7/15/2019

Approved 3/23/2020

ROC:
Filed I-751 2/15/2022 

Case Received 2/17/2022

NOA1 Recieved 2/26/2022

Timeline
1 hour ago, MeghanK said:

Check out the October NOA2 to NVC thread in K1 progress. You have to do a bit of digging but directions were posted in there a few times by @Greenbaum 

Thank you!  It seems we are on the same path here.  Will probably see you in Montreal.  What city are you from?  I am in Toronto.

3 minutes ago, JP John said:

Thank you!  It seems we are on the same path here.  Will probably see you in Montreal.  What city are you from?  I am in Toronto.

Yeah! I'm the USC but my fiance is in Vancouver. We will probably push our interview to late March if we can because he is waiting on his Canadian citizenship - hoping to secure that before coming to the U.S. and being trapped here for 6 months lol. 

K1 Visa:
Filed I-129f 4/14/2018
Visa received 4/4/2019

AOS:

NOA1 6/24/2019

Biometrics 7/15/2019

Approved 3/23/2020

ROC:
Filed I-751 2/15/2022 

Case Received 2/17/2022

NOA1 Recieved 2/26/2022

Timeline
1 minute ago, MeghanK said:

Yeah! I'm the USC but my fiance is in Vancouver. We will probably push our interview to late March if we can because he is waiting on his Canadian citizenship - hoping to secure that before coming to the U.S. and being trapped here for 6 months lol. 

Oh that is too bad.  My fiancé is in North Carolina. I am scrolling thru that thread for October NOA2 - NVC but can find those instructions yet. On page 27 😄

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to the Regional forum, from K1 P&P~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

10 minutes ago, JP John said:

Oh that is too bad.  My fiancé is in North Carolina. I am scrolling thru that thread for October NOA2 - NVC but can find those instructions yet. On page 27 😄

Yeah it took me quite a while to dig. If i remember correctly it was somewhere near page 50. But I know it was posted multiple times in there.

K1 Visa:
Filed I-129f 4/14/2018
Visa received 4/4/2019

AOS:

NOA1 6/24/2019

Biometrics 7/15/2019

Approved 3/23/2020

ROC:
Filed I-751 2/15/2022 

Case Received 2/17/2022

NOA1 Recieved 2/26/2022

Timeline
1 minute ago, MeghanK said:

Yeah it took me quite a while to dig. If i remember correctly it was somewhere near page 50. But I know it was posted multiple times in there.

Ok thank you. Have you submitted the DS 160 yet?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, MeghanK said:

Regardless of citizenship,  the trap is the same until  advance parole is received 

YMMV

Timeline

***repost from @greenbaum*** Hope this helps your question :)

This thread was created for those who are waiting from their NOA2 K-1 to the case assignment from NVC.

These are items that everyone asks for, so I thought I just post them here for you to refer to when it's necessary.

1. How do I update my email address with NVC Once you receive your NOA2 approval then contact NVC via https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/visa-information-resources/ask-nvc.html

to update your email address as well as your beneficiary's email address. This will give you an email alert when your file arrives at NVC, your case is assigned and when the file leaves for your Embassy.

2. Checking on your embassy case number from NVC:

It will take 7 - 10 business days for NVC to receive your file from USCIS after you receive the NOA2, then another 2 - 5 business days for NVC to get your file in their system and produce your case number. Call 7:00 am eastern time for shorter wait times.

1-603-334-0700 or 603-334-0888. Operator assistance is available Monday through Friday from 7:00 AM to 12:00 AM (Eastern Time)

1 for English, then 7 (or 5, but I would go 7 as they would tell you if you should call 5 instead after they receive your case.)

Best time to call:

Right after they open which is around 7:00am US Eastern Time, Mon-Fri. Most have had luck getting the phone answered after the first ring if they called right at 7am.

3. How long to assign a Case # from NOA2

It's been taking about 2-3 weeks for NVC to assign the case number. Then it's taking another 2-4 weeks depending on the Embassy to receive your case. Your mileage may vary!

4. Follow Similar VJ members timelines. Use the tools here in VJ to answer "when I am going to get etc. etc." question. Near your picture there is a link for your timeline. Select it and once you're on the next page near your picture you will see "follow similar timelines" and it will populate 12 other couples who are near your dates. Scroll down and you will see a "spreadsheet" style page showing all the variables for measurement for when others from your Embassy are getting the same notice of approval or action. Try it. It really works!

5. Follow similar VJ members timelines from other countries. And if you want to follow those from other countries that have similar timelines as yours there are several tools available to you. Go up to Immigration Timelines on the blue ribbon above and select it. Once you are on the next page looked to your left and you will see a box that states, "find similar timelines" and select it. A list will populate with those who are processing close to your timeline. When they start to change you will soon be behind them.

I followed those that were in my group to give me an idea where they were in processing, so I could judge if I was ahead or behind. It's accurate, maybe within a day or so.

If you choose to follow those twelve members then you will get an email every time their status updates.

6. Be sure your profile is complete so that we can determine your Embassy. Many of our answers are predicated on the information you supply in your profile. When we look at the left column and can't determine your timeline or your Embassy it's hard for us to give you a factual answer. If you look at the profile of others here, they have a flag for their country, so it makes it easy for us to reply as we can quickly determine your Embassy. Our answers will sometimes be tailored to a specific Embassy hence the reason for you to complete your profile.

So, if you could help yourself out and complete your profile that sure would help us out when we want to reply to your question with factual information.

Go to the top right of this page select your name (it's on the upper right-hand corner)>my profile>[below your picture on the right column] edit my profile. Scroll to the bottom and fill in "Immigration Info". There now we can better serve you.

Thanks

7. Timelines. Complete your timeline. In your profile to the left of the page you will see the word "timeline" toward the bottom. Select it and it will take you to the page that has the link for you to complete your timeline. This to can help us to answer some of your questions.

8. Tracking your case. As a K1, when checking your case online at CEAC.state.gov you have to select "immigrant visa" as it is treated as such even though it is a "non-immigrant visa".

Technically the K-1 is a non-immigrant visa with intent to immigrate, but it is treated like an immigrant visa because of the AOS. It is kind of a ba$tard. Non-immigrant case treated like an immigrant case. The K-1 on its own is a single entry, with a short time limited visa that expires within 90 days after POE. That is why it is a non-immigrant visa treated like an immigrant visa. 

USICS states If you have a pending I-129f, I-90, I-485, I-751 or N-400, we’ve recently changed the way we’re displaying processing times online to give you a more realistic date range. To check these times, visit https://t.co/ho3dfC5KCA

9. Tracking your case file that's in transit to your Embassy. Go to www.dhl.com click Express then Tracking, then Track by Shipper's Reference, and on this page you add your search information. You change the day and month to what you think your package might have left NVC or call NVC to get the date your package had left NVC in route to your Embassy then go to the DHL website and enter the following information:

EXAMPLE:

* Shipper´s Reference : EXP 24 MAR 2011A  (This is the date you think it left NVC, just substitute the date and leave everything else as is)

* Date range for shipment - From: 23 - 03 - 2011

* Date range for shipment - To: 26 - 03 - 2011

Account Number - Leave this blank

Shipment Destination: Manila (Works for any Country Just replace the city where the Embassy is located)

I hope these tips help you along your Journey. So, let’s share our experiences, our tips and ask questions.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.