mysticdolphin95

When you move local offices, where do you go in the "stack"?

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline

Just a question of interest - maybe someone has experience and/or speculation.

We'll be moving local offices after relocating this coming January, from Minneapolis-St. Paul (estimated 16 - 31 month wait) to Buffalo (7 to 16.5 month wait).  Our filing date was 03/19/2018, and we've been "Ready to be Scheduled for Interview" since early August.  I've heard lots of theories about how files get sent to local offices from the benefits center, one of which is that "ready" files get randomly sent, another is that they go based on the order in which they were filed...  My question: what happens when we move to a faster office after waiting 10 months?  Will we go to the bottom of the pile, so to speak?  Or, since we filed relatively sooner, would we get priority.

I know there's no definitive answer, just wondering if anyone's got some experience with this!  In any case, we'll just be stoked if we get an interview earlier than the 1.5 - 2 years norm waiting time at MSP.  

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

You would want to think they would keep them in order of date filed, but there is a fair chance that it goes to the back of the line.

Timeline
On 11/28/2018 at 11:43 AM, ThomasNC1988 said:

You would want to think they would keep them in order of date filed, but there is a fair chance that it goes to the back of the line.

Yeah, I've honestly got no clue.  Honestly, I doubt there is a "line" - probably more like a large pile that files just get tossed in and sent off somewhat randomly.

On 11/29/2018 at 5:27 PM, JoJoJoJo said:

I have the same question, but for those who had their interviews yet were not approved on the spot. My IO will need up to 120 days to make the decision, but we are planning to move to another office's jurisdiction. Anyone had experience?

I wouldn't move until he makes a decision or you might end up having another interview 😕

Timeline
4 hours ago, emylady said:

I wouldn't move until he makes a decision or you might end up having another interview 😕

Why do you think that would be the case?  I don't see why it would matter.

On 12/1/2018 at 4:27 PM, mysticdolphin95 said:

Why do you think that would be the case?  I don't see why it would matter.

They’re not the most organized bunch and if you have your interview and then they send the file they might get everything confused. Just wouldn’t be worth the hassle to be honest. 

we have filed in Feb 2017 and  I had an interview in Sep and we still waiting for approval. my answer to you waits until you get an answer from them. 

On 11/28/2018 at 12:28 PM, mysticdolphin95 said:

We'll be moving local offices after relocating this coming January, from Minneapolis-St. Paul (estimated 16 - 31 month wait) to Buffalo (7 to 16.5 month wait).  Our filing date was 03/19/2018, and we've been "Ready to be Scheduled for Interview" since early August.  I've heard lots of theories about how files get sent to local offices from the benefits center, one of which is that "ready" files get randomly sent, another is that they go based on the order in which they were filed...  My question: what happens when we move to a faster office after waiting 10 months?  Will we go to the bottom of the pile, so to speak?  Or, since we filed relatively sooner, would we get priority.

I know there's no definitive answer, just wondering if anyone's got some experience with this!  In any case, we'll just be stoked if we get an interview earlier than the 1.5 - 2 years norm waiting time at MSP.  

I will not move to another city. I'm in NYC and the average is 17-34.5 months. It's not a big deal because if we'll be approved after 2 years will have immediately 10 year green card and no need to apply for Removing conditions.

Timeline
On 12/6/2018 at 3:30 PM, NjK said:

I will not move to another city. I'm in NYC and the average is 17-34.5 months. It's not a big deal because if we'll be approved after 2 years will have immediately 10 year green card and no need to apply for Removing conditions.

Easy if you don't have to move - we do!

Filed: Timeline
On 11/28/2018 at 12:28 PM, mysticdolphin95 said:

If you are at "ready to be scheduled" then your case is actually at your local office and is waiting in line for an interview slot. That local office will send the case to your new local office. No idea about where they will put you in the line but the longest you will wait is assuming you are placed at the back of the line and looking at their wait from that perspective.  I dont know that they will give you "credit" for having waited in line somewhere else. It would be nice but I wouldnt expect it. 

I mean sometimes at the supermarket if a new line opens they will take the people that have been waiting on the old line the longest but this is the government not a supermarket LOL. I imagine its more like at DMV where if you are on the wrong line they send you to the BACK of the correct one rather then the front of it. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.