SM84

Divorce before applying for N-400

8 posts in this topic

Hi folks,

I was wondering what happens to a LPR holding a 10 year GC if they get divorced from their USC spouse for valid reasons like irreconcilable differences? Would this stop the person from applying for naturalization in the future ? Can the USC spouse or relatives prevent the LPR from gaining citizenship after a divorce by writing to USCIS, in order to take revenge?

Would there be much scrutiny at the time of naturalization? Any advice?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: El Salvador
Timeline
38 minutes ago, SM84 said:

Would this stop the person from applying for naturalization in the future ? Can the USC spouse or relatives prevent the LPR from gaining citizenship after a divorce by writing to USCIS, in order to take revenge?

Not an issue for citizenship. Just wait until 90 days before the 5 year anniversary of the "resident since" date on your green card.

Your Input Is Appreciated On This VJ Guide Proposal: 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

nobody can do anything to you. you just have to qualify, you would have to be a lpr for at least 5 years. 90 days before your 5 years, you can apply

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Singapore
Timeline

I too, am a divorcee that arrived on a K-1, divorced due to irreconcilable differences (he cheated on me, tried to gaslight me in that regard, and his entire family is toxic), and applied as a 5-year resident. Except it was 9 years for me when I finally applied for Naturalization.

My interviewing officer thought I was still married during the N400 interview, and when I corrected her, she expressed her doubts about the legitimacy of my marriage as the 10yr Green Card was issued only 6 months before the divorce. I explained the situation to her, and she understood. Asked me the civics and history questions, and congratulated me, I had passed.

I did not tell him, nor his family that I was applying, or when I was applying. I would recommend you do the same. Leave that information off of any social media, emails, everything that they may have tentacles hidden. If you want to tell someone, tell someone you can trust. In my case, I only told the very few people I trust, and ask them to write me a recommendation letter (which is completely optional).

Funny thing about all of this, my Naturalization Oath ceremony will be held on his birthday.

• 1 month later...
On 11/29/2018 at 4:04 PM, Prawninator said:

I too, am a divorcee that arrived on a K-1, divorced due to irreconcilable differences (he cheated on me, tried to gaslight me in that regard, and his entire family is toxic), and applied as a 5-year resident. Except it was 9 years for me when I finally applied for Naturalization.

My interviewing officer thought I was still married during the N400 interview, and when I corrected her, she expressed her doubts about the legitimacy of my marriage as the 10yr Green Card was issued only 6 months before the divorce. I explained the situation to her, and she understood. Asked me the civics and history questions, and congratulated me, I had passed.

I did not tell him, nor his family that I was applying, or when I was applying. I would recommend you do the same. Leave that information off of any social media, emails, everything that they may have tentacles hidden. If you want to tell someone, tell someone you can trust. In my case, I only told the very few people I trust, and ask them to write me a recommendation letter (which is completely optional).

Funny thing about all of this, my Naturalization Oath ceremony will be held on his birthday.

Why did it take you 9 years? What happened during the interview that made the officer to have doubts about the legitimacy of your marriage? 

On 11/29/2018 at 2:04 PM, Prawninator said:

Well whoever sponsored you might want to know they're no longer responsible for you, no? 

I received my GC around June/July 2018. If at all a divorce happens, would this raise red flags when applying for citizenship under 5 year rule? 

What should one do if N-400 application is submitted and the divorce actually gets finalized while it is still being processed? If we cancel it by ourselves, would it cause problems, when we apply again once eligible under 5 year rule?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Singapore
Timeline
On 1/4/2019 at 7:55 PM, SM84 said:

Why did it take you 9 years? What happened during the interview that made the officer to have doubts about the legitimacy of your marriage? 

My interviewing officer kept referring to my (ex)husband as though we were still married. She asked how long we were married for, and I answered truthfully. About 3.5yrs, which is obviously not a long time. She then asked what happened, to which I answered truthfully as well.

On 1/4/2019 at 10:10 PM, little immigrant said:

Well whoever sponsored you might want to know they're no longer responsible for you, no? 

My ex know about it now, and I'm sure he'll relay that information. Though I don't think he needed to sponsor me since the marriage and me having a job... I don't actually know the proceedings in that regard, lol 🤣

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.