DougNHawaii

Quickie Wedding......

24 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I just started a new job....and so getting time off will be difficult.

My research says...it will take 2+ weeks to get married in the Philippines....which is probably not possible for me.

I understand...there are several countries in which she could travel...without a visa.  Do any of these countries....offer something like a 'Vegas' style wedding, where we could get married with ease....and not have to be there...for two weeks?

Thanx!

1 minute ago, DougNHawaii said:

My research says...it will take 2+ weeks to get married in the Philippines....which is probably not possible for me.

I understand...there are several countries in which she could travel...without a visa.  Do any of these countries....offer something like a 'Vegas' style wedding, where we could get married with ease....and not have to be there...for two weeks?

Thanx!

The wedding will be after you're issued your K-1 visa?

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Timeline
1 minute ago, Greenbaum said:

The wedding will be after you're issued your K-1 visa?

No.... we want to get married in the Phil's.... long story....ignore the K-1 thing.  :)

Just now, DougNHawaii said:

No.... we want to get married in the Phil's.... long story....ignore the K-1 thing.  :)

Or where ever it can be done quickly...so we can apply for CR=1

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

google will probably help you with that information.

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

3 hours ago, DougNHawaii said:

Or where ever it can be done quickly...so we can apply for CR=1

CR-1 will take just as long as the K-1 and you are almost there with the k-1. Why you want to make the change. Sorry, I'm confused.

This is how you can do it within a 2 week window but all your ducks have to line and the stars shine bright for this to happen but it can be done.

Have your fiancée go to her local registrar and advise them of your intentions to send a blank marriage application to you here in the states and that you her fiancé will be getting endorsements from a Philippine Consulate in the USA. If the local registrar agrees, she obtains the application and fax or scans as a PDF file and sends to you.

You in turn have to appear in person at one of the Philippine Consulate office here in the States. See website http://www.philippineembassy-usa.org/index.php?page=consulate-finder-main for the nearest Consulate Office. Present the marriage application with just your information filled in on the document. The counselor will endorse the marriage application verifying that this is you who is applying. Bring two ID's, preferable your passport and a pictured driver's license. You as the applicant will need to present the affidavit, death certificate or divorce decree signifying that you are free to marry along with the application and id's. I would call ahead and make an appointment and explain what you are doing and verify my details as to what is required before attending the process in front of a Philippine Consular.

Once you have the endorsements then send to your fiancée by LBC, DHL or other currier to your fiancée in the Philippines. She receives the original document with all endorsements from you and takes the marriage application to her local registrar for filing. She will fill out her part of the application when she is in front of the registrar. Again, she should bring two government ID's with her to validate her identity. She will receive the license either on that day or the next day. Each local registrar is different and she should verify all necessary documents that are required by her local registrar.

Applicants shall apply for the "Affidavit in Lieu of a Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage" at the Embassy's American Citizen Services Branch (US Embassy in Manila) by appointment only. There is a fee of $50.00 or its peso equivalent for the affidavit, payable in cash only. For those who do not want to experience the hustle and the bustle of Manila (like me), there is a U.S. Consular Agency in Cebu that you can visit to get this Affidavit.

One more item to add and that is required is the "Affidavit in Lieu of a Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage" which will be required. After landing in Manila you can go over to USEM to get your affidavit. Follow the instructions below:

You apply for the "Affidavit in Lieu of a Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage" at the Embassy's American Citizen Services Branch (US Embassy in Manila) by appointment only. There is a fee of $50.00 or its peso equivalent for the affidavit, payable in cash only. If you do not want to experience the hustle and the bustle of Manila, there is a U.S. Consular Agency in Cebu that you can visit to get this Affidavit.

If you are marrying in the Catholic Church this will not work in 10 days because you are required to take the marriage class required by the church.  If you are going to do a "Justice of the Peace" style wedding you can pull this off in 10 days.

If she is between the age of 18 to 21 she must have parental consent in writing, those age 21 to 25 must have written parental advice (a written indication that the parents are aware of the couple's intent to marry).

These are your first steps and you should begin the process about three weeks before your trip to PI.

Further details are on the embassy website here: https://ph.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/getting-married/?_ga=1.81702100.234670941.1488281707 or call The Embassy's American Citizen Services Unit at (632) 301-2000, Ext. 2246.

Edited by Greenbaum
Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Removal of Conditions

Sounds like the OP can’t take two weeks off to have a destination wedding. Can Filipinos travel to Hong Kong with ease?

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

1 minute ago, NuestraUnion said:

Sounds like the OP can’t take two weeks off to have a destination wedding. Can Filipinos travel to Hong Kong with ease?

The Philippines nationals who desire to go to Hong Kong for transit, tourism or business with a stay of no more than 14 days do not need to apply for visas. Please visit Hong Kong Immigration Department website http://www.info.gov.hk/immd/ for requirements if a visa is required. 2.

The problem is the resident requirements which I have no knowledge of to whether any is required. Time for the OP to do some searching with Google. He asked the same question over in the sub-forum for the PI and was given some ideas.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

Removal of Conditions

Timeline
1 hour ago, Greenbaum said:

CR-1 will take just as long as the K-1 and you are almost there with the k-1. Why you want to make the change. Sorry, I'm confused.

This is how you can do it within a 2 week window but all your ducks have to line and the stars shine bright for this to happen but it can be done.

Have your fiancée go to her local registrar and advise them of your intentions to send a blank marriage application to you here in the states and that you her fiancé will be getting endorsements from a Philippine Consulate in the USA. If the local registrar agrees, she obtains the application and fax or scans as a PDF file and sends to you.

You in turn have to appear in person at one of the Philippine Consulate office here in the States. See website http://www.philippineembassy-usa.org/index.php?page=consulate-finder-main for the nearest Consulate Office. Present the marriage application with just your information filled in on the document. The counselor will endorse the marriage application verifying that this is you who is applying. Bring two ID's, preferable your passport and a pictured driver's license. You as the applicant will need to present the affidavit, death certificate or divorce decree signifying that you are free to marry along with the application and id's. I would call ahead and make an appointment and explain what you are doing and verify my details as to what is required before attending the process in front of a Philippine Consular.

Once you have the endorsements then send to your fiancée by LBC, DHL or other currier to your fiancée in the Philippines. She receives the original document with all endorsements from you and takes the marriage application to her local registrar for filing. She will fill out her part of the application when she is in front of the registrar. Again, she should bring two government ID's with her to validate her identity. She will receive the license either on that day or the next day. Each local registrar is different and she should verify all necessary documents that are required by her local registrar.

Applicants shall apply for the "Affidavit in Lieu of a Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage" at the Embassy's American Citizen Services Branch (US Embassy in Manila) by appointment only. There is a fee of $50.00 or its peso equivalent for the affidavit, payable in cash only. For those who do not want to experience the hustle and the bustle of Manila (like me), there is a U.S. Consular Agency in Cebu that you can visit to get this Affidavit.

One more item to add and that is required is the "Affidavit in Lieu of a Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage" which will be required. After landing in Manila you can go over to USEM to get your affidavit. Follow the instructions below:

You apply for the "Affidavit in Lieu of a Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage" at the Embassy's American Citizen Services Branch (US Embassy in Manila) by appointment only. There is a fee of $50.00 or its peso equivalent for the affidavit, payable in cash only. If you do not want to experience the hustle and the bustle of Manila, there is a U.S. Consular Agency in Cebu that you can visit to get this Affidavit.

If you are marrying in the Catholic Church this will not work in 10 days because you are required to take the marriage class required by the church.  If you are going to do a "Justice of the Peace" style wedding you can pull this off in 10 days.

If she is between the age of 18 to 21 she must have parental consent in writing, those age 21 to 25 must have written parental advice (a written indication that the parents are aware of the couple's intent to marry).

These are your first steps and you should begin the process about three weeks before your trip to PI.

Further details are on the embassy website here: https://ph.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/getting-married/?_ga=1.81702100.234670941.1488281707 or call The Embassy's American Citizen Services Unit at (632) 301-2000, Ext. 2246.

A couple of things.... I thought there was a 10 day period...from filing for marriage license...and getting it?  Followed by the civil ceremony...You made it sound like it could be gotten in one visit? … or possibly two visits..within 24 hours.

If that is the case....then can't we just get it together?  It was the 10 business day wait...that I thought was going to eat up all my time.

Also...we plan on a civil ceremony.... I thought ALL wedding in Phil's....required the seminar (and family planning)?  You telling me....no seminar required...if civil ceremony?  That will also reduce the time.

Yes...I understand I will need to visit the embassy in Manila...and like you said...gotta fly in there anyway.

She is 31 years old.

Thanx.

1 minute ago, DougNHawaii said:

A couple of things.... I thought there was a 10 day period...from filing for marriage license...and getting it?  Followed by the civil ceremony...You made it sound like it could be gotten in one visit? … or possibly two visits..within 24 hours.

If that is the case....then can't we just get it together?  It was the 10 business day wait...that I thought was going to eat up all my time.

Also...we plan on a civil ceremony.... I thought ALL wedding in Phil's....required the seminar (and family planning)?  You telling me....no seminar required...if civil ceremony?  That will also reduce the time.

Yes...I understand I will need to visit the embassy in Manila...and like you said...gotta fly in there anyway.

She is 31 years old.

Thanx.

I'm telling you one way of doing it. I can't vouch for any other process nor can I confirm this information. This is something that two or three couples did and it worked for them. You mileage may vary.

If it is to personal to answer my question as to why the CR-1 now when you have a K-1 visa in hand I understand? Doesn't make any sense to me why you are pursuing this avenue hence the question.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

Removal of Conditions

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Greenbaum said:

I'm telling you one way of doing it. I can't vouch for any other process nor can I confirm this information. This is something that two or three couples did and it worked for them. You mileage may vary.

If it is to personal to answer my question as to why the CR-1 now when you have a K-1 visa in hand I understand? Doesn't make any sense to me why you are pursuing this avenue hence the question.

I do not have K-1 anymore....she came and went already. :(  Unless she can enter a 2nd time....first K-1 would have expired Dec 20th.

Edited by DougNHawaii

Timeline

Do are you saying.... if I just goto the Phil's to get married.... it is possible that we do not have to wait for 10 business days...from applying for license...to receiving it?  And I understand we cannot have civil ceremony...until we have license in hand.

2 minutes ago, DougNHawaii said:

I do not have K-1 anymore....she came and went already. :(  Unless she can enter a 2nd time....first K-1 would have expired Dec 20th.

Nope. K-1 is a one time use visa. Cr-1 is the way to go.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

Removal of Conditions

Just now, DougNHawaii said:

Do are you saying.... if I just goto the Phil's to get married.... it is possible that we do not have to wait for 10 business days...from applying for license...to receiving it?  And I understand we cannot have civil ceremony...until we have license in hand.

I gave you the step by step instructions whether your in country or if time is critical. I can't do any more for you as that is the information that I am familiar with but only to allow me to share someone elses experience.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

Removal of Conditions

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~MOved to the PI forum, form K1 progress reports. The OP is not chasing after a K1 visa and is looking for options with PI specific questions.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
6 hours ago, DougNHawaii said:

Thanx!

I was hoping you would get a good response that would save the day ..     The local registry where your fiancee resides is the key to many of your questions.   Check with John & Rose as I think they got a "waiver" of the seminar requirement.    The 10 day wait is not so easy to work around, but I made a suggestion in the PM to you.

This is the information available on the embassy website.

https://ph.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/getting-married/?_ga=2.171945638.764480744.1515702843-1618516958.1515702843

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.