Mimicherie

What to say to congressman?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline

When contacting your congressmen what do you write exactly? Do you explain your situation in depth & give them your case info or what? I didn’t want to hassle the embassy in fear of them making an unwanted hasty decision but I want to contact them if I don’t receive any updates soon to help get some clarification about my case.

Here’s the link/ some info to my fiancé’s interview experience:

After sending them an email the day of my interview clarifying the error of the translated document & inquiring about the 221g requesting no docs they sent me this: 

513A34B8-20B1-45AD-ACE0-AEA95F8A411F.thumb.jpeg.e6daa40d2a770373cd760aae942de1d9.jpeg

I’ve provided them with the additional requested documents that was received by the embassy since October 12th. My case updated about 3 times since then but remains in AP. Last case update is for Nov. 5th & it hasn’t been touched since. Last email I got from them is from oct. 23rd when I asked if my documents were received & their reply was this:

E2DB04A1-8966-4007-A353-9D577EA1940F.thumb.jpeg.985f72777c14495eb67cacc5947128cf.jpeg

Thanks in advance for all reply’s.

42 minutes ago, gsdc23 said:

When contacting your congressmen what do you write exactly? Do you explain your situation in depth & give them your case info or what? I didn’t want to hassle the embassy in fear of them making an unwanted hasty decision but I want to contact them if I don’t receive any updates soon to help get some clarification about my case.

After sending them an email the day of my interview clarifying the error of the translated document & inquiring about the 221g requesting no docs they sent me this: 

513A34B8-20B1-45AD-ACE0-AEA95F8A411F.thumb.jpeg.e6daa40d2a770373cd760aae942de1d9.jpeg

I’ve provided them with the additional requested documents that was received by the embassy since October 12th. My case updated about 3 times since then but remains in AP. Last case update is for Nov. 5th & it hasn’t been touched since. Last email I got from them is from oct. 23rd when I asked if my documents were received & their reply was this:

E2DB04A1-8966-4007-A353-9D577EA1940F.thumb.jpeg.985f72777c14495eb67cacc5947128cf.jpeg

It does not need to be an in-depth explanation of your situation, as your congressional rep cannot influence consular decisions.  They can simply inquire on your behalf as to the progress of a decision.  Most senators and congresspersons have aides to assist with immigration issues, and many of them have request forms on their websites, that you can print and mail to them.

I’m so sorry this happened to you. You must be so worried... Next time you know to make sure to double and triple check before submitting anything. Continue to contact the embassy. I don’t know what else I could do if I were you. Hopefully, someone with experience can chime in and give you better advice. Best of luck. 🙏

Timeline
1 hour ago, Jorgedig said:

It does not need to be an in-depth explanation of your situation, as your congressional rep cannot influence consular decisions.  They can simply inquire on your behalf as to the progress of a decision.  Most senators and congresspersons have aides to assist with immigration issues, and many of them have request forms on their websites, that you can print and mail to them.

Thank you, I will look into those forms. 

Timeline
32 minutes ago, CJlove said:

I’m so sorry this happened to you. You must be so worried... Next time you know to make sure to double and triple check before submitting anything. Continue to contact the embassy. I don’t know what else I could do if I were you. Hopefully, someone with experience can chime in and give you better advice. Best of luck. 🙏

Thank you for your kind thoughts. Yes this is a lesson learned. I wish USCIS wouldve caught it for me & sent me an RFE but they, too, looked over the minor error. Embassy catches EVERYTHING. My fiancé’s divorce is legit so we’re not too worried if they do their checks accurately on their end, but who knows now w days with these CO’s.

1 minute ago, gsdc23 said:

Thank you for your kind thoughts. Yes this is a lesson learned. I wish USCIS wouldve caught it for me & sent me an RFE but they, too, looked over the minor error. Embassy catches EVERYTHING. My fiancé’s divorce is legit so we’re not too worried if they do their checks accurately on their end, but who knows now w days with these CO’s.

Embassy does catch EVERYTHING! In my case, everything was fine until the interview. Apparently my income was fine with USCIS and with NVC, but NOT FINE with the embassy. They asked my hubby (beneficiary) to bring in an additional sponsor... So, he returns today with the supporting documents. Fingers crossed! Praying, chanting, everything I can do keep hope alive! Good luck to you too! 

Timeline
5 hours ago, CJlove said:

Embassy does catch EVERYTHING! In my case, everything was fine until the interview. Apparently my income was fine with USCIS and with NVC, but NOT FINE with the embassy. They asked my hubby (beneficiary) to bring in an additional sponsor... So, he returns today with the supporting documents. Fingers crossed! Praying, chanting, everything I can do keep hope alive! Good luck to you too! 

Wow, I hope all goes well in your case too! Thank you & good luck! 😊

12 hours ago, gsdc23 said:

You know it can take up to 60 days for them to go through the documents you submitted right?

Timeline
23 minutes ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

You know it can take up to 60 days for them to go through the documents you submitted right?

Yes, which is why I’m preparing to contact my congressmen after/around the 1st/2nd week of December if I don’t hear anything, by then my 60 days will be up I believe.

Its just weird because I had to email them 1st to actually figure out that they indeed did require more info/documents even though my fiancé was just told to wait & they will contact him. Haiti only has one 1 place besides the courts that holds records of any kind & that’s the national archives. My fiancé’s divorce is already in the system and the only way you can prove that is by receiving an official divorce extract from the national archives which he had ready and available along with his official divorce decree. The additional documents we provided were the offical judgement of divorce from the courthouse and a newspaper article announcing the divorce (this is customary in Haiti as more confirmation). 

So I think the long wait is happening because they want to check on their end if the divorce is really in the books/the date on my

fiances legal documents are accurate, which we know it is. I’m just hoping it’s someone in the embassy that actually goes out and verifies such info personally instead of waiting for

the Haitian government to get back to

them with a response because that will take FOREVER. Haitian government/justice systems are so broken and unorganized, they probably won’t ever get around to any inquiries, especially with all the negative manifestation nonsense happening out there right now. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.