nekojita

AOS Field Office Question

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

I just received NOA2 for K1 visa and I'm now thinking ahead to the greencard process. I noticed that processing times in my current location (Seattle) are very long and that processing times at the other two locations in the state are much much faster (Yakima and Spokane). 

I assume that the processing center is based on the address where we live, but not clear if its based on the address in my K1 application or the address in my future AOS / I-485 application. 

If its the latter is there any issue with me moving to a city nearer Yakima or Spokane to have those service centers manage my request? (I work from home and rent so have some flexibility..) Thanks!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Youre a long way off from having to worry about it, but I believe you can request any service center for AOS. We live relatively closely to 3 (DC/Norfolk/Raleigh) but raleigh is (1) closer than the others, even if in a different state, and (2) shorter wait times.

Guess which one we will request. ;)

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

Timeline
12 minutes ago, debbiedoo said:

Youre a long way off from having to worry about it, but I believe you can request any service center for AOS. We live relatively closely to 3 (DC/Norfolk/Raleigh) but raleigh is (1) closer than the others, even if in a different state, and (2) shorter wait times.

I am pretty sure you can't select your field office. It's based on your zip code / county and if you show up to the interview and mention you live in a location that rolls up to a different field office they will not approve you. 

Timeline
Just now, nekojita said:

I am pretty sure you can't select your field office. It's based on your zip code / county and if you show up to the interview and mention you live in a location that rolls up to a different field office they will not approve you. 

really? that really sucks.

I'll have to look into it. raleigh is an hour and a half closer than either of the other locations. And where i grew up, so was planning on spending the day there going places i never get to go to anymore lol

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

ROC

Your local field office is determined by your location of residence when you go through AOS.

https://www.uscis.gov/about-us/find-uscis-office/field-offices

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
Just now, debbiedoo said:

really? that really sucks.

I'll have to look into it. raleigh is an hour and a half closer than either of the other locations. And where i grew up, so was planning on spending the day there going places i never get to go to anymore lol

Yeah - at least that's what I gleaned reading through posts.. you can see what locations each field office services by going to their webpage and clicking on locations - for example:

https://www.uscis.gov/about-us/find-uscis-office/field-offices/north-carolina-raleigh-durham-field-office

Timeline
Just now, geowrian said:

Your local field office is determined by your location of residence when you go through AOS.

https://www.uscis.gov/about-us/find-uscis-office/field-offices

Thanks! so it sounds like moving would work and significantly reduce waiting times..

48 minutes ago, debbiedoo said:

You don’t request anything. The local office will be set depending on your location. You can find out typing your zip code on uscis website.

if it was that easy to request a specific office, people wouldn’t be waiting long at all.

so, OP, if you can move to a zip code in which it’s jurisdiction is one of the faster offices, go ahead. They will take in consideration the address you’ll put on your aos application 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: El Salvador
Timeline
58 minutes ago, debbiedoo said:

We live relatively closely to 3 (DC/Norfolk/Raleigh)

If you live in Mecklenburg County, Virginia, then your office is Norfolk: https://www.uscis.gov/about-us/find-uscis-office/field-offices/virginia-norfolk-field-office

Your Input Is Appreciated On This VJ Guide Proposal: 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, TM92 said:

If you live in Mecklenburg County, Virginia, then your office is Norfolk: https://www.uscis.gov/about-us/find-uscis-office/field-offices/virginia-norfolk-field-office

sigh...................

all i know is i better at least get some beach time out of this if we have to go out that way 😂

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

ROC

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.