BigRedCat

Questions about AOS wait time, temp green card etc..

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Hey guys, I have a few questions about AOS - I am trying to make sure I understand everything correctly after doing my research. 

So my current situation is I need to file for AOS here in Las Vegas for my wife - we have been married just about a year now (she has a social security card) so I know the visa and medical exam is expired (we will need to do a new one.) We just haven't had the extra funds until now to pay for AOS.

After we pay for AOS we have to wait for an interview and is that when you get the temp green card? I ask because she wants to be able to get a drivers license but cannot do so until she has the temp green card. It looks like for Vegas the interview is over 400 days, is that correct? Is she going to have to wait over a year just to get a temp green card? I am a little confused on the process. 

Once you've paid the fees for AOS/AP/EAD then you might get called to do Biometrics at your local office. The times for interview vary some get it within 6 months, others over a year but it takes as long as it takes unfortunately. The sooner you file, the sooner the clock starts!

Make sure you file for EAD/AP with the Greencard application; it doesn't cost anything extra. The EAD is what she needs to be able to work, and in many states it is sufficient for a driver's license. My EAD took 6 months, but others got theirs sooner. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Ok thank you for the information, that is very helpful. So after I file EAD/AP with the AOS she will be able to get a drivers license or at least ID? Having to carry around a passport everywhere is kind of a pain. I need to teach her to drive so trying to plan how long she has to study for the driving test etc. 

Side note: It really is absurd how long all these processes take. I am still waiting for the B2 I paid for last year for her mother in law to come visit. Its been a year now (Russian's are pretty much unable to get interview slots for B2 apparently). 

2 minutes ago, BigRedCat said:

Ok thank you for the information, that is very helpful. So after I file EAD/AP with the AOS she will be able to get a drivers license or at least ID? Having to carry around a passport everywhere is kind of a pain. I need to teach her to drive so trying to plan how long she has to study for the driving test etc. 

Side note: It really is absurd how long all these processes take. I am still waiting for the B2 I paid for last year for her mother in law to come visit. Its been a year now (Russian's are pretty much unable to get interview slots for B2 apparently). 

You'll have to check with your local DMV to see what they require. In some states proof of having filed AOS is enough, in other states you need to have at least an EAD, and there are states where you have to wait for the green card before you can get a license. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
4 hours ago, BigRedCat said:

FYI - Nevada requirements are here: http://dmvnv.com/dlresidency.htm .

Also, yeah; Anastasia would have liked to see my hometown and visit my family before coming to the US to stay, but the waiting time for a tourist visa interview was longer than we expect the whole K-1 process to take (and the probability of her actually getting a B-2 wouldn't have been great).

K-1                             AOS                            
NOA1 Notice Date: 2018-05-31    NOA1 Notice Date: 2019-04-11   
NOA2 Date: 2018-11-16           Biometrics Date: 2019-05-10    
Arrived at NVC:  2018-12-03     EAD/AP In Hand: 2019-09-16     
Arrived in Moscow: 2018-12-28   GC Interview Date: 2019-09-25      
Interview date: 2019-02-14      GC In Hand: 2019-10-02
Visa issued: 2019-02-28
POE: 2019-03-11
Wedding: 2019-03-14

ROC                             Naturalization
NOA1 Notice Date: 2021-07-16    Applied Online: 2022-07-09 (biometrics waived)
Approval Date: 2022-04-06       Interview was Scheduled: 2023-01-06
10-year GC In Hand: 2022-04-14  Interview date: 2023-02-13 (passed)
                            	Oath: 2023-02-13

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.