KrisV

Changing maiden name to married name

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi everyone especially to my kababayans who has US spouse and got married here in US.

I have a question regarding changing the name to married name. 

In my case , we followed the American way of naming, my middle name remains the same when I was still single and my maiden surname was changed to my husband’s surname.

ex: 

Husband : George Smith

Single name Jane Garcia Molina

Married name : Jane Garcia Smith 

I am about to report the marriage to Philippine Consulate, will they follow the Philippine way ( Jane Molina Smith ) in the report  or the Jane Garcia Smith ? 

Will I be able to use Jane Garcia Smith when renewing Philippine passport? Otherwise if not , my name would be different between my passport and my future greencard ( AOS is still on the process). 

Thanks in advance for the response/s! 

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Odds are the consulate will want to use the traditional naming format where your maiden name becomes your middle name.  This name format thing always seems to be a big deal in the Philippines. 

DFA for changing the passport would be yet another issue.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

My wife did this last Thursday, and they required her to make her name on her ROM and passport the "Philippine" way. 

On her Green Card, it is the "American" way.  She won't be able to reconcile the two until she applies for citizenship, and she is allowed to change her "US" name. 

Finally done.

My wife used her maiden name as her middle name.  I believe she could have done anything she wanted for the US.  She kept to this way for the Philippines.  Our marriage certificate was questioned because in the US we generally just pick another name.  We were delayed because I am John William and my father was William John.  My mother's maiden name was Heins.  They could not understand how that works.  We were able to explain it and everything worked out.  

She has her new passport in her new name now.  It matches what we used on the CR-1.  

In our case it was

ex: 

Husband : George Smith

Single name Jane Garcia Molina

Married name : Jane Molina Smith 

(if Molina is the maiden and not her married name from previous marriage)

Edited by John & Rose

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

23 hours ago, John & Rose said:

My wife used her maiden name as her middle name.  I believe she could have done anything she wanted for the US...  

We tried to do the same, but at the AOS interview, the USCIS interviewer changed it on the spot to the middle name on her birth certificate.  He said it was required, and that she could change it when she applies for citizenship.  We weren't about to argue with him, so there is a discrepancy in her name between US and Phil until she has the opportunity to change her "US" name when she applies for citizenship.

Finally done.

32 minutes ago, Talako said:

We tried to do the same, but at the AOS interview, the USCIS interviewer changed it on the spot to the middle name on her birth certificate.  He said it was required, and that she could change it when she applies for citizenship.  We weren't about to argue with him, so there is a discrepancy in her name between US and Phil until she has the opportunity to change her "US" name when she applies for citizenship.

Interesting.  We will see what happens to us.  Right now her Philippine passport and our CR-1 paperwork match.  I guess we will see what happens in a few months.

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

2 hours ago, Talako said:

1 hour ago, John & Rose said:

Interesting.  We will see what happens to us.  Right now her Philippine passport and our CR-1 paperwork match.  I guess we will see what happens in a few months.

My wife did the same thing and nothing happened at all, in fact she still goes by that and has her DL in that name as well.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Was the name change legal ?  My ex adopted her maiden as her "legal" middle name upon marriage.   All AOS paperwork was submitted and card was received and remains in that name.  

YMMV

Timeline
1 hour ago, John & Rose said:

You will be fine, your marriage was in the Philippines .. which requires the "traditional" naming format.  Passport and all legal documents already are in the married name.   

Only K-1 bump into this name issue.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

My wife did the same thing and nothing happened at all, in fact she still goes by that and has her DL in that name as well.

My wife did it also, without issues.  Yet I read of many K-1 that bump into this with USCIS during AOS .   SSA give some issues with using their married name when getting their SSN before receiving their green card .. my wife had no issue there either using the traditional naming format.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.