Halp

Form I-129F

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hey so i have been working on filling out this "fun" form I-129F and running into a lot of questions. im sorry that it is a lot, but the answers i have seen in the instrucctions do not always answer my questions, and at times when they do, they are not very good answers, so i will just list out my doubts that i have for now

1) i want to write "N/A" or "NONE" or "Not Applicable" or "0" for some things on the form (i am filling it out on my computer) but it will not let me. idk why, it just does not let me type those answers in those boxes, but i can type certain other things, not a wide variety, but i can type an answer that applies to the question. just not any answer to show that it does not apply to me. so should i print it and fill it out by hand or would it be best for me to just leave these cases blank?

2) my Fiance does not know when she last moved into her house. she was 3 years old when she first moved there, but the form asks for a date for when she moved into her most current residence (or any from the last 5 years). since she can remember more or less the year, bu neither her nor her family or anyone knows a month or day. do i just guess? or just put the year? or how should i handle that one?

3) my address for the past 5 years has been.... interesting. i lived on the east coast for a bit, just fine, no issues there. then i went and did a "preaching" of sorts. i went to brazil for a couple years to preach the word basically. in that time i had several fixed addresses, though there is a fixed address for the area of my mission work, which is the mission office. no one lived there, it was just the main address where i would get mail. the houses i actually lived in were 6 different houses spread out a good bit, a few months in each house, plus a 6 week period in another state where we get "training" of sorts, learning the language and culture and what not. do i need to put down all 7 addresses of where i was physically staying? or can i get by with putting down my address of the "home base" for my work, where my mail was sent, but an address that no one lives at?

tracking down address for all 6 of those houses will be a bit of a pain and i never used any of them as an address for anything, it was mostly just a place i slept at night, i spent very little time in the houses, and the address i gave for people to get in contact with me was either Email or the address for the mission's office.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

1) the type form is a secure form, that’s why. DO NOT write NA. Leave fields blank if you do not need to fill out. With that said, the form is interactive, so if a field needs to be filled out, it will ‘open’. If you can’t type in it, there is a high probability you should not be filling out that field. I believe there are one-two exceptions to that, just read, re-read and proof that form before sending. 

2) as long as the year is close, it’s fine. Mostly they just want residence history of last 5 years.

3) I would put your mailing address but explain the situation on the last page for additional information. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, sdjk said:

1) the type form is a secure form, that’s why. DO NOT write NA. Leave fields blank if you do not need to fill out. With that said, the form is interactive, so if a field needs to be filled out, it will ‘open’. If you can’t type in it, there is a high probability you should not be filling out that field. I believe there are one-two exceptions to that, just read, re-read and proof that form before sending. 

2) as long as the year is close, it’s fine. Mostly they just want residence history of last 5 years.

3) I would put your mailing address but explain the situation on the last page for additional information. 

ok, thanks so much!

just in relation to question 1 though, there are fields that i CAN write in to answer, i just can not write something like N/A in it. but should i then not write N/A in any of the fields? any at all? just leave them blank if i am supposed to answer but it does not apply? cause i thought the instructions said i should put N/A down in some cases

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
Just now, Halp said:

ok, thanks so much!

just in relation to question 1 though, there are fields that i CAN write in to answer, i just can not write something like N/A in it. but should i then not write N/A in any of the fields? any at all? just leave them blank if i am supposed to answer but it does not apply? cause i thought the instructions said i should put N/A down in some cases

I did not see the N/A statement in the instructions, but, follow the instructions I guess. Mainly, the interactive form allows you to type in the required fields if needed based on your answer to a previous question... for instance “has your alien beneficiary ever been to the US; Yes or No”  if you click the yes box, the fields needing to be filled in open up for editing, if you choose the No box, those fields will not allow you to edit. 

As as far as NA, I think I read another topic earlier that someone’s petition had NA in fields and they had to resend it in without NA. Its somewhere on this site. Hopefully someone can answer for certain on that part for you. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, sdjk said:

I did not see the N/A statement in the instructions, but, follow the instructions I guess. Mainly, the interactive form allows you to type in the required fields if needed based on your answer to a previous question... for instance “has your alien beneficiary ever been to the US; Yes or No”  if you click the yes box, the fields needing to be filled in open up for editing, if you choose the No box, those fields will not allow you to edit. 

As as far as NA, I think I read another topic earlier that someone’s petition had NA in fields and they had to resend it in without NA. Its somewhere on this site. Hopefully someone can answer for certain on that part for you. 

awesome, thanks so much! and i will for sure look more into the whole NA issue

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from Progress Reports to Process & Procedures.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cambodia
Timeline

I have read that you should not leave anything blank on the i-129F form.  The instructions state to put N/A if something doesn't apply to you.  I used Adobe Acrobat to insert text fields.  Otherwise you can print it out and hand write it in black ink.

Timeline
On 10/29/2018 at 1:21 PM, magicant said:

I have read that you should not leave anything blank on the i-129F form.  The instructions state to put N/A if something doesn't apply to you.  I used Adobe Acrobat to insert text fields.  Otherwise you can print it out and hand write it in black ink.

Hey magicant, thanks for the answer. i am using adobe as well, though for some reason some of the questions do not let me type in N/A. for example if the question was to ask how long i lived with my partner (question is just made up for example), it would not let me type 0, or N/A, or NA, or "none" or anything. so i am guessing i will just print it out and fill it in by hand to resolve that.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 10/29/2018 at 12:21 PM, magicant said:

I just reviewed my form.  I didn't use n/a a single time 

YMMV

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cambodia
Timeline

I could not type N/A in some fields either.  I used acrobat's editing tools to insert a text box on top of the form boxes, and set the font to match the form, then typed N/A into my inserted text box.  But printing out and using black pen should also work.

payxibka, did you get approved already?  Perhaps it is not a big deal.  However the current instructions specifically state to put N/A so I followed those.

Thanks.

Timeline
4 hours ago, payxibka said:

I just reviewed my form.  I didn't use n/a a single time 

was this because you left it blank, or because you were simply able to fill out all provided fields? if you did leave it blank, did you apply and subit the paperwork that way, and was it approved?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
6 minutes ago, Halp said:

was this because you left it blank, or because you were simply able to fill out all provided fields? if you did leave it blank, did you apply and subit the paperwork that way, and was it approved?

Blanks because many are not applicable.   Yes I have been approved 

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.