APGG94

Medical Expires 3 Days Before Interview

16 posts in this topic

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Grenada
Timeline

I have a question --- I did my medical last year November 11th. It was submitted with my applications. My interview is on the 14th. Will they tell me I need to get another medical done since it'll be a few days expired? Will that delay my green card being produced? 

F1 (graduated) with pending AOS after marriage! ^_^

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline
32 minutes ago, APGG94 said:

I have a question --- I did my medical last year November 11th. It was submitted with my applications. My interview is on the 14th. Will they tell me I need to get another medical done since it'll be a few days expired? Will that delay my green card being produced? 

You will need another medical exam. It is not worth risking a denial of your application over a medical. I suggest going back to the same physician that did your previous medical and explaining that you need to update your medical. This way at least you know the physician has your immunization records. 

Immigration officials aren't usually real forgiving.

MY JOURNEY INTO GETTING A FIRST-TIME GREEN CARD, RENEWING A GREEN CARD, AND OBTAINING U.S. CITIZENSHIP:

I-130: https://vsjourneyss.wordpress.com/2020/08/23/my-spouse-visa-process-and-timeline-ir1-cr1/ From Colombia 🇨🇴

I-751: https://vsjourneyss.wordpress.com/2020/09/12/i-751-joint-petition-to-remove-conditions-on-residence/From Japan 🇯🇵 (Military spouse overseas)

N-400: https://vsjourneyss.wordpress.com/2022/08/03/3430/ From Japan 🇯🇵 

BLOG:  https://vsjourneyss.wordpress.com/inmigr/   

Timeline
7 minutes ago, valentinasc said:

You will need another medical exam. It is not worth risking a denial of your application over a medical. I suggest going back to the same physician that did your previous medical and explaining that you need to update your medical. This way at least you know the physician has your immunization records. 

Immigration officials aren't usually real forgiving.

Bummer. Another $400 to get it all done. Alright, thank you! You're right. I'll make an appointment tomorrow. 

Just to note, it wouldn't be a denial. It would be an RFE after the interview to submit a completed medical.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
1 hour ago, geowrian said:

Just to note, it wouldn't be a denial. It would be an RFE after the interview to submit a completed medical.

Thank you! 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline
12 hours ago, APGG94 said:

How old was your medical when you filed AOS? Because from November 1 it’s new rules about I-693: 

A completed Form I-693 submitted to USCIS before November 1, 2018 retains its evidentiary value to support a finding that an applicant is not inadmissible based on health-related grounds if it meets any of the following scenarios:

The civil surgeon signs Form I-693 more than 60 days before the applicant files the underlying benefit application with USCIS, but the applicant submits Form I-693 to USCIS no more than 1 year after the civil surgeon signed Form I-693; and USCIS issues a decision on the underlying benefit application no more than 1 year after the date the applicant submitted Form I-693 to USCIS.

The civil surgeon signs Form I-693 no more than 60 days before the applicant files the underlying benefit application with USCIS; and USCIS issues a decision on the underlying benefit application no more than 2 years after the date of the civil surgeon’s signature.

The civil surgeon signs Form I-693, and the applicant submits Form I-693, after the applicant files the benefit application with USCIS; and USCIS issues a decision on the underlying benefit application no more than 2 years after the date of the civil surgeon’s signature.

https://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/HTML/PolicyManual-Volume8-PartB-Chapter4.html

Edited by Jeilvi

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

My interview is on November 7. The date civil surgeon signed my i-693 March 16 2017, my PD May 3 2017. It’s 49 days between civil surgeon signed and the date they received case and I fall category 2 in this article. It’s mean my medical valid for 2 years according new rules(starting November 1). So may be you don’t need new medical too 

Timeline
2 hours ago, Jeilvi said:

My interview is on November 7. The date civil surgeon signed my i-693 March 16 2017, my PD May 3 2017. It’s 49 days between civil surgeon signed and the date they received case and I fall category 2 in this article. It’s mean my medical valid for 2 years according new rules(starting November 1). So may be you don’t need new medical too 

Thank you for sharing that info! I also saw the upcoming updates to policy but I also read that cases sent before November may be subject to the old conditions of one year validity... Also, I sent in my application about 80 days after my medical was performed so I'm not sure the new policy would apply to me either. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
9 hours ago, Jeilvi said:

Thank you for the link!  Took the time to go and read!  Good news!  My wife had her physical in Dec 2017, but most likely will not have an interview in or around March or April 2019.  Seems Vegas is taking nearly a year for an AOS interview after filing.

Timeline
47 minutes ago, Highmystic said:

Thank you for the link!  Took the time to go and read!  Good news!  My wife had her physical in Dec 2017, but most likely will not have an interview in or around March or April 2019.  Seems Vegas is taking nearly a year for an AOS interview after filing.

After researching extensively about the policy change these past 2 days, I believe the policy doesn't apply to those who applied before the November 2018 date. I would still recommend getting a physical done once you have your interview date. Consider also when you applied as the policy is requiring you to send in your application 60 days or less after completing medical. I've gone ahead and scheduled a new medical exam. My doctor said it will be $150 to redo the physical which isn't as bad as the $300 for the last one. Perhaps ask your doctor if you can have a medical redone at a lower cost. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
3 hours ago, Highmystic said:

2 hours ago, APGG94 said:

After researching extensively about the policy change these past 2 days, I believe the policy doesn't apply to those who applied before the November 2018 date. I would still recommend getting a physical done once you have your interview date. Consider also when you applied as the policy is requiring you to send in your application 60 days or less after completing medical. I've gone ahead and scheduled a new medical exam. My doctor said it will be $150 to redo the physical which isn't as bad as the $300 for the last one. Perhaps ask your doctor if you can have a medical redone at a lower cost. 

Had AOS interview October 10 and got RFE for an updated I-693 medical examination by a certified USCIS civil surgeon. Our medical was only 7 months old so they are subjecting the new rule randomly already as we were July Filers so FYI!

August 1, 2017 - mailed K1 Application 

August 4 - Receievd TSC - NOA1

August 8 - Transfered to CSC

February 10 - NOA 2

March 1st - MCN# In Transit

March 2nd - AT NVC CEAC

March 12 - Completed D160

March 22 - Ready CEAC

March 27 - SLEC - Medical

March 28 received medical results 

April 2 - CFO Completed 

April 5 - Embassy Interview (Results 221G 😭)

April 20 - Submitted RFE requirements (221G)

April 23 - Docs Recieved at NVC Via 2go

April 24 - email received from Embassy to complete Oath 

April 25 - Oath and Fingerprints - No appointment needed

April 25 CEAC Status update AP

May 3rd - CEAC Status Update Still AP

May 8 - CEAC Staus  Changed to Non Immigrant Status

May 9 - CEAC Status - ISSUED! ❤️👏😂😅

May 12 - VOH - Blessed be to God in the Highest!! 🙏😭

May 30 - POE ✈️

May 31st - Confirmed I94 and applied for SSN

June 4 - Married 🎉🙏🎂💑🍾👰🏻🤵🏻

June 5 - Received SSN! - Took only three business days 👏

July 12 - AOS EAD AP

Juy 21 - NOA1 

Aug 7 - Biometrics 

Aug 14 - Case Ready To Be Scheduled For Interview 

Sept 4 - Interview Was Scheduled 

My wife' medical was from July 2017. We applied for AOS in September 2017 and interviewed on Oct. 17th 2018. No new medical was requested. Note that we did AOS from K-1, in which is not required by law to have  a new medical if the existing one is expired by the time of the interview, but one can still be requested by the IO.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
4 minutes ago, geowrian said:

My wife' medical was from July 2017. We applied for AOS in September 2017 and interviewed on Oct. 17th 2018. No new medical was requested. Note that we did AOS from K-1, in which is not required by law to have  a new medical if the existing one is expired by the time of the interview, but one can still be requested by the IO.

For someone like me adjusting from F1, I don't think I'll chance it after all. 

From the USCIS site, interesting table.

Form I-693 Submitted to USCIS On or After November 1, 2018

When did civil surgeon sign?

I-693 retains evidentiary value through

No more than 60 days before applicant filed underlying benefit application with USCIS

2 years from date civil surgeon signed I-693

After applicant filed benefit application with USCIS

More than 60 days before applicant filed benefit application with USCIS

N/A – I-693 not valid at time applicant submits I-693 to USCIS

Form I-693 Submitted to USCIS Before November 1, 2018

When did civil

surgeon sign?

When was underlying benefit application filed with USCIS?

I-693 retains evidentiary

value through

No more than 1 year before I-693 submitted to USCIS

More than 60 days after civil surgeon signed the I-693

1 year from date applicant submitted I-693 to USCIS

No more than 60 days before underlying benefit application filed with USCIS

No more than 60 days after civil surgeon signed the I-693

After the benefit application was filed with USCIS

Before the civil surgeon signed the I-693

More than 1 year before I-693 submitted to USCIS

N/A – I-693 not valid at time applicant submits I-693 to USCIS

Edited by SacredBruce

Timeline
33 minutes ago, SacredBruce said:

From the USCIS site, interesting table.

Form I-693 Submitted to USCIS On or After November 1, 2018

When did civil surgeon sign?

I-693 retains evidentiary value through

No more than 60 days before applicant filed underlying benefit application with USCIS

After applicant filed benefit application with USCIS

More than 60 days before applicant filed benefit application with USCIS

N/A – I-693 not valid at time applicant submits I-693 to USCIS

Form I-693 Submitted to USCIS Before November 1, 2018

When did civil

surgeon sign?

When was underlying benefit application filed with USCIS?

I-693 retains evidentiary

value through

No more than 1 year before I-693 submitted to USCIS

More than 60 days after civil surgeon signed the I-693

1 year from date applicant submitted I-693 to USCIS

No more than 60 days before underlying benefit application filed with USCIS

No more than 60 days after civil surgeon signed the I-693

After the benefit application was filed with USCIS

Before the civil surgeon signed the I-693

More than 1 year before I-693 submitted to USCIS

N/A – I-693 not valid at time applicant submits I-693 to USCIS

Wow. Based on this table, I didn't have to do another medical after all. $400 wasted. I guess it's always better to be on the safe side but that's a lot of money I could have saved. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.